Welcome To The Netweather Forum!

Sign In or Register for full access to the community - including the regional forums.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Mildest Winter on Record 2013/14

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#41 iand61

iand61
  • Members
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:56

I'd possibly have the first winter I can remember without any lying snow IMBY. Even in mild winters we usually to have some days where the threat of something wintry is about and then up here we tend to be on the right side of marginal. As others have said, at least the heating bills will be lower.

#42 Boro Snow

Boro Snow
  • Members
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:11

well for a start i nearly had a heart attack when i first glimpsed this heading, for me it would be a nightmare but im sure its gunna be the COLDEST on record so im not gunna lose any sleep over it Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

In 86 we nearlly died from ayesome park to the riverside europe twice we won the cup with Aitor Karanka were going up, were going up were going up with Aitor Karanka were going up

#43 Weather-history

Weather-history
  • Members
  • 13,495 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:04

It could be the mildest on record but still have a cold March to look forward or endure depending on preference. Look at 1868-69 http://www.ukweather...-that-followed/
Manchester Summer Index 2014: 234 (up to 25th August)

#44 Bottesford

Bottesford

Fish O'Clock

• Forum team leader
  • 10,209 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:08

Chuckle to myself insanely as I keep all the cold to myself over here in Berlin whilst secretly cursing the gas bill!

Seasonal forum lead moderator & forum admin - Any questions, problems or comments: Contact Me

My recorded maximum / minimum temperatures:

2014: 33.8c @ 1618 8th June // -12.9c @ 0907 25th January (Now in Berlin)
2013: 29.4c @ 1634 1st August // -4.3c @ 0443 17th January
2012: 26.8c @ 1553 24th July // -5.0c @ 0720 11th February
2011: 31.0c @ 1245 27th June // -3.9c @ 0821 21st January
2010: 29.0c @ 1633 23rd May // -9.3c @ 0804 7th December
2009: 29.7c @ 1633 1st July // -2.5c @ 0742 7th February
2008: 27.6c @ 1512 28th July // -4.1c @ 0324 19th February
2007: 30.0c @ 1702 5th August // -3.6c @ 0552 7th February
2006: 33.9c @ 1804 17th July // -2.2c @ 0652 5th April (data from April 4th onwards only)

CETAnalyser tool - find trends & patterns in CET data Current Version- 1.09 (24/04/07) Info in this thread : Info & Download here
Views and opinions expressed in this or any other of my posts are my own

#45 Coast

Coast

Rider on the storm

• Members
  • 33,294 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:29

Crack on into Spring!

SAAB Convertible

Posted Image

Now, you listen here:'e's not the Messiah,'e's a very naughty boy!
Views & opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own - but the voices made me do it

#46 IBTHToThoseShortwaves

IBTHToThoseShortwaves
  • Members
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:56

Cry....Posted Image

Height ASL: 200m

Date of first snow fall locally: 6th Dec
Number of Days of falling snow for winter 2013/14: < 1
Total number of inches of laying snow for winter 2013/14
: < 1

Coldest Temp Recorded for winter 2013/14:  (Technically Autumn: -4 @ 08:10 19/11/2013)

Check out my college project!

#47 Captain shortwave

Captain shortwave
  • Members
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:34

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

I think it would turn me to the dark side as well Posted Image

Matt Powell
Saffron Walden (North Essex)

#48 Richard2901

Richard2901
  • Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:48

It would be awful and just confirm that we are in an abysmal run of winters on a par with the record breaking snowless write-offs of the late 80s/early 90s.

A mildest winter on record would be unlikely to have any decent snow so by the time it was possible to get another decent snowfall it would be November/December 2014 and the 4th anniversary of the last one Posted Image

The only consolation would be that if it was like 1988/89 we would at least have plenty dry bright and sunny weather with mins averaging out around 3-4C and maxes 10C. However if it were anything like December 1934: mins of 6C, maxes of 8C, 20 hours of sun and 120mm of rain with no frost that would be beyond horrific and depressing and a real struggle to have to endure for 3 months without turning to antidepressants.

#49 Mrs Trellis

Mrs Trellis

Backwards and Downwards!

• Forum Team
  • 38,686 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:38

If we do end up seeing a record-busting mild winter, I will be outside making the most of it. Much as I love snow, mowing the lawn on Christmas Day 1974 was also a pleasure...Posted Image Hic!

Pete

Non cogito ergo non sum; et, merda taurorum animus conturbit!

We go about our daily lives understanding almost nothing of the world. (Professor Stephen Hawking)

Views and opinions expressed in this or any other of my posts are my own.

#50 shedhead

shedhead
  • Members
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:45

If that proves to be the case then so be it, but I'd say it's a very long shot at this stage and probably shares equal likelyhood with the coldest, wettest, sunniest etc. One thing is again as absolutely certain as night following day tho and that is no amount of hopecasting, wishful thinking, wet dreaming, ramping, digging at others or just plain anger will change anything...so hopefully this Winter we'll see far less of any of um in the MODT.

Edited by shedhead, 28 September 2013 - 11:46 .

#51 UV-RAY

UV-RAY
  • Members
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:47

If we do end up seeing a record-busting mild winter, I will be outside making the most of it. Much as I love snow, mowing the lawn on Christmas Day 1974 was also a pleasure...Posted Image Hic!

What anything to avoid a bit of christmas cheer, you humbug!

#52 Milhouse

Milhouse
  • Members
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:16

As much as i love the seasonal chill in the build up to Christmas, i care little about what happens on the big day itself. So if it was 15c and blowing a SW gale i would love every minuite of it.

As for the mildest winter on record. I hear that a bit of the cold stuff is necesary for nature to completely shut down before reawakening again in the Spring. So whilst i would take the mildest on record, an average winter would be just as preferable with some cold occurring from time to time throughout the 3 months.

#53 stewfox

stewfox
  • Members
  • 4,152 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:19

Lets say we had 8.2c for December (beats 1934 and 1974)  CET series

7.6c for January (beats 7.5c Jan 1916) CET Series

8.0 for February (beat 7.9c Deb 1779) CET series

I'm on the fence whether I would prefer that to a average winter (cold winter no chance)

This forum would go into melt down and loads of new theories would remerge.. 

Edited by stewfox, 28 September 2013 - 12:20 .

#54 Jax

Jax

Meow

• Members
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 13:00

After last winters extended cold fest a mild one this year would be welcome, if anything to get balance back on the leccy bill.

Edited by Jax, 28 September 2013 - 13:00 .

"Calm waters do not make a good sailor"

I don't go crazy, I am Crazy! I just go normal once in a while.

Flames to dust
Lovers to friends
Why do all good things come to an end?

People hold onto memories so tight is because memories are the only things that don't change; when everybody else does.

http://www.wwt.org.uk/

I SOOOooooo want a set of these http://neurowear.com...l/necomimi.html

#55 Mrs Trellis

Mrs Trellis

Backwards and Downwards!

• Forum Team
  • 38,686 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 13:08

After last winters extended cold fest a mild one this year would be welcome, if anything to get balance back on the leccy bill.

They'll only up the price!

Pete

Non cogito ergo non sum; et, merda taurorum animus conturbit!

We go about our daily lives understanding almost nothing of the world. (Professor Stephen Hawking)

Views and opinions expressed in this or any other of my posts are my own.

#56 Jax

Jax

Meow

• Members
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 13:11

They'll only up the price!

maybe, but there is only so far they can go before the band "snaps" and like the poll tax riots the people will have their say ( though oddly those taxes actually were fairer overall)

"Calm waters do not make a good sailor"

I don't go crazy, I am Crazy! I just go normal once in a while.

Flames to dust
Lovers to friends
Why do all good things come to an end?

People hold onto memories so tight is because memories are the only things that don't change; when everybody else does.

http://www.wwt.org.uk/

I SOOOooooo want a set of these http://neurowear.com...l/necomimi.html

#57 Summer Sun

Summer Sun
  • Members(10)
  • 16,648 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 14:41

Mild winters likely to return as a result of climate change but cold winters still likely as well

Climate change likely to turn UK's weather more extreme

Global trends identified by climate scientists suggest Britain will get more extreme rainfall, and wetter and warmer winters. However scientists cautioned that natural variability will continue to play a big role in determining the UK's weather, so there will continue to be exceptional cold snaps and cool summers.

http://forum.netweat...-etc/?p=2796764

3596892559.png

#58 East_England_Stormchaser91

East_England_Stormchaser91

The Ace of Cambs!

• Members
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 15:03

Wouldn't mind really, as I work outside at least it will feel nice, although getting the van stuck and doing handbrake turns in the snow of 2010 was pretty epic! Although I am a coldie in winter and love the snow, I'd think of the benefits it would bring, such as the mild SST's it will bring to start off the warm up in spring etc. Could be the answer to more storms at least then in the summer. I think I have seen enough mild winters in the past though. The tediousness of going through one of the mildest winters and dullest summers which winter 07 and summer 08 was extreme and was so fr!gg!ng boring. Would not want that again. 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91, 28 September 2013 - 15:04 .

#59 EML Network

EML Network
  • Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 16:36

I would build me a boat from the bones and skin of the residents of Woking and sail North East Posted Image

EML Recordings is a UK Based Electronic Dance Music Record Label. Visit http://www.emlrecordings.org

eml_logo_positive_clean_1282478281.jpg

#60 EML Network

EML Network
  • Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 16:49

Mild winters likely to return as a result of climate change but cold winters still likely as well

Climate change likely to turn UK's weather more extreme

Global trends identified by climate scientists suggest Britain will get more extreme rainfall, and wetter and warmer winters. However scientists cautioned that natural variability will continue to play a big role in determining the UK's weather, so there will continue to be exceptional cold snaps and cool summers.

http://forum.netweat...-etc/?p=2796764

HA HA talk about covering all angles.  So in essence , we'll get a big storm every now and then, there will be some flooding from time to time and we'll experience cold winters , warm winters, cool summers and hot summers. 

So to sum up, they have not a clue and are just stating the obvious; wrapping it up like it's something out of the norm.

I

EML Recordings is a UK Based Electronic Dance Music Record Label. Visit http://www.emlrecordings.org

eml_logo_positive_clean_1282478281.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users