Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest & Central Southern England Regional Discussion

Snowangel-MK

Posted

43mm so far, the rain has eased off. But the local A road is now closed all the roads out of my village have deep water. and the petrol station in the village is flooded. Looks like may be cut off :/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

You can see here from the NAE the current load of rain and tomorrow evenings smaller, and less amount of rain;

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prec&HH=36&ZOOM=1&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&PANEL=0&LOOP=1&INFO=0

Edited by AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

43mm so far, the rain has eased off. But the local A road is now closed all the roads out of my village have deep water. and the petrol station in the village is flooded. Looks like may be cut off :/

Alex, could you please put your location in your avatar.

Local information during spells of severe weather is a really important part of the forum, it can help to save people lots of misery. Your info is important to us but we need to know where your village is for the info to be helpful to others.

Many thanks

Posted

hi guys i normally do these on the south east thread but thought you may find this info more important at present

updated fax charts with have been pretty accurate recently

PPVE89.gif?31415

tomorrow late afternoon more rain for south west due to a weather front over the area

will not be too heavy but could last a while

PPVG89.gif?31415

sunday night

another low pressure over the south west again

more potential heavy rain at this time

PPVI89.gif?31415

another weather front over the south west monday lunchtime

hopefully more in the way of showers not heavy

PPVJ89.gif?31415

monday night looks breezy but dry

PPVK89.gif?31415

tuesday looks breezy but dry

PPVM89.gif?31415

wednesday looks chilly but dry

PPVO89.gif?31415

thursday again chilly but dry

you have some more rain to come but thankfully drier weather is on the way monday night onwards

take care

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Tomorrow morning will reveal how bad things are.

Im off to work at 8.30 too... help.gif

Posted

Just heard Exmouth town centre has been cut off but not 100% sure of that, sky news reporting at the moment that it is, :/

Edited by Zephyr

Posted

Im off to work at 8.30 too... help.gif

On a Sunday? Brave man! :p :p

Take care with the drive, think it could be a tricky one.

Posted

Alex, could you please put your location in your avatar.

Local information during spells of severe weather is a really important part of the forum, it can help to save people lots of misery. Your info is important to us but we need to know where your village is for the info to be helpful to others.

Many thanks

Ilminster

Edited by 124alex

Posted
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

What's worse and as others have said, there is more to come, but aside from that, it will take weeks and months for certain folk, to recover from the dire situation. wallbash.gif

Ok, its almost OT or even OTT you might say, but I would suggest you contact your local MPs to urge our Prime Minister to declare a state of emergency. acute.gif

Not only are individuals suffering, businesses etc. but so too, will the wider communities, farmers and wildlife. As Jason quite admirably put it, COME TOGETHER. good.gif

I will be fine in my locality for many a day yet, in spite of it currently peeing down. Its at times such as these, that the weather or even where you're from, do not matter one iota. huh.png

Take care all and I bid you night night before long. cool.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Ilminster

Thank you!

For folk like me who have a head like a sieve, would you mind adding it to your avatar - idiot here will have forgotten by this time tomorrow.

Posted

River Fowey from Trekeivesteps to Lostwithiel now also severe flood warned. Could have another 3-4 hours or more of rain in the south west to come yet. Not looking good at all!

Edited by Zephyr

Posted

Dawlish looking very bad;

http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/story-17412970-detail/story.html

Need sleep now. Take care all.

Edited by AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

River Fowey from Trekeivesteps to Lostwithiel now also severe flood warned. Could have another 3-4 hours or more of rain in the south west to come yet. Not looking good at all!

Yes but not the whole of the Southwest, just for clarification. tongue.png

Actually clearing through most of Cornwall and a large part of Devon as I type this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

Dawlish looking very bad;

http://www.thisisexe...tail/story.html

Need sleep now. Take care all.

Always susceptible to these events.. I wonder how the spits holding up? My mates dissertation was surveying that last year and it used to get battered by the storms.

Teignmouth to..Wonder how the new defences have held up? Rain was pretty heavy at high tide.

Yes but not the whole of the Southwest, just for clarification. tongue.png

Actually clearing through most of Cornwall and a large part of Devon as I type this.

the odd drop in the air here, but the main stuff has stopped.

Where's the best place to see a (reasonably) live satellite/weather image?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Always susceptible to these events.. I wonder how the spits holding up? My mates dissertation was surveying that last year and it used to get battered by the storms.

Teignmouth to..Wonder how the new defences have held up? Rain was pretty heavy at high tide.

http://www.floodwarn.co.uk/lightning.htm

Posted

http://www.sat24.com/en/eu

Posted

The thing I'm quite worried about in the South West, its that its going to take at least 12 hours for most of today's rainfall to enter the watercourses and rivers, especially from the Hills. This is then going to be exasperated by the further rainfall that is due to arrive in the area from around 12pm later today.

And that's without the tides, which will slow down the water discharge out to sea as there is a lot of water to leave these rivers...

I think this is going to be become a very serious situation, so please stay up to date and warn anyone you know that is in danger!

SM

Posted

Posted

The thing I'm quite worried about in the South West, its that its going to take at least 12 hours for most of today's rainfall to enter the watercourses and rivers, especially from the Hills. This is then going to be exasperated by the further rainfall that is due to arrive in the area from around 12pm later today.

And that's without the tides, which will slow down the water discharge out to sea as there is a lot of water to leave these rivers...

I think this is going to be become a very serious situation, so please stay up to date and warn anyone you know that is in danger!

SM

Exactly, hence my post from previously within this thread. good.gif

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/74929-southwest-central-southern-england-regional-discussion/page__st__560#entry2414327

Posted

SM

My dissertation is on the effect of tide on fluvial flooding. Still struggling with my model and getting my st venant equations working so can't report my findings yet.

Posted

Exactly, hence my post from previously within this thread. good.gif

http://forum.netweat...60#entry2414327

Now that would get people attention and deffinatally agree with that. I Stll believe the MetO should of issued a red warning on Friday at least, we all knew this was coming and knew it was bad, buts its always to be safe rather than sorry!

SM

Posted

Copied from Heavy rain, flooding, high winds thread as just as relevant here:

Today (yesterday now) according to my Davis I had 67mm of rain ohmy.png never expected that much.

Never seen the flooding quite so bad just down the lane either! pretty bad outside my house too. (am at home this weekend)

Just up the lane and round the corner a big wall 12ft tall by 30ft long at a rough guess collapsed into the road! taking fences and the edge of someones garden with it!

also saw flashing lights in the sky a bit like distant fireworks and odd pops/bangs i didn't know what were, and later a very bright flash and pop from across the valley (presumably electric). Now the River Otter is flooded a lot and rising.

Rain just kept being very heavy over this area this evening and finished with a truly torrential downpour (heaviest anywhere on radar)

A few rivers in Devon seem to be at record levels (since whenever gauging station set up)

Off to bed now hopefully some pics to upload in the morning.

Posted

looking at the persistent echoes across east dartmoor, I'm also concerned about flooding along the River Dart & Teign....Newton Abbot & Totnes is particular

Looks like you're right, Looking on here the river Teign (below) is at it's highest levels recorded (since 2004) and river Bovey is so high it's saying readings invalid!

ChartImage.jpg?Id=987&ChartType=Graph

Posted

Just to warn any one of the Southern Coasts, Winds are now starting to show there hand. I haven't got any figures at the moment due to the intermittent power cuts I am now seeing!

My Weather station:

Temp 11.7c

Rainfall (to 12am) 37.8mm

Current wind 42mph from the SW

Highest Gust at 01.50 59mph!

SM