Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Imogen

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

What kind of rainfall totals are we expecting from Imogen, I would think that being on the colder side of the jetstream means less tropical moist air being available so not so bad? ?

The rivers in the East Midlands are all in flood after the last two days rain, Soar , Avon , Nene and Trent all on red boards now.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Just on the edge of things here a shift south would take us out of it a twitch north and then fully in it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
1 hour ago, matty40s said:

What kind of rainfall totals are we expecting from Imogen, I would think that being on the colder side of the jetstream means less tropical moist air being available so not so bad? ?

The rivers in the East Midlands are all in flood after the last two days rain, Soar , Avon , Nene and Trent all on red boards now.

Hi Matty. I don't think the rainfall totals that are predicted to accompany Imogen are going to be too troublesome as the attached charts display. That being said, they will have an acculumative affect on already sodden ground and high river levels.....going to be an interesting day, that's for sure! 

arpegeuk-1-24-0.png

arpegeuk-1-30-0.png

arpegeuk-1-36-0.png

Posted

The super duper high-res MF AROME has been made available on Meteociel  - at 1.3kms - it is very detailed but not necessarily any more accurate.

At 31 hours, wind gusts for the south of the UK.

aromehd-11-31-1.png?07-12

http://www.meteociel.com/modeles/arome.php?ech=3&mode=1&map=31

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.
6 minutes ago, Nouska said:

The super duper high-res MF AROME has been made available on Meteociel  - at 1.3kms - it is very detailed but not necessarily any more accurate.

Wow, that's impressive! Unfortunately, it seems to be underestimating the wind speed a little bit.

Posted
2 hours ago, chapmanslade said:

There is a bit of a difference to recent storms as the wind is more westerly than south or south westerly which will mean more damage to trees. Trees grow to cope with the prevailing wind and the more westerly component will mean greater twisting effect. Expect to see more branches and trees down than in recent storms.

Exactly. That's why we're moving all our cars out of the way of our 100 - 200 year old Oak trees which are too the west of the cars. If a limb falls off one of them onto one of our cars it will be a total right off.

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)
7 minutes ago, Nouska said:

Doesn't look too bad on the AROME, maybe underplaying wind speeds a tad? Very windy north Cornwall and through the Bristol channel but only 50mph or so inland, it may be right. Nice detailed charts though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Has storm Imogen actually been named? The Met Office website has nothing on its page yet. Although it certainly warrants a name.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

Has storm Imogen actually been named? The Met Office website has nothing on its page yet. Although it certainly warrants a name.

The Irish Met Office named it yesterday. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

The Irish Met Office named it yesterday. 

Ah I see. Seems to be a bit haphazard with the namings at times.

Certainly going to be the strongest storm of the season for inland southern England anyway, should be an interesting night/Monday!

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Yes it has been named.

image.thumb.jpeg.e36e943cfdfdff0b1f892f5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything out of the ordinary, except extreme heat
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

Certainly going to be the strongest storm of the season for inland southern England anyway, should be an interesting night/Monday!

Certainly Louise Lear called it Imogen on the BBC forecast I caught this morning.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I take back all my statuses saying "Why can't we get a proper storm?" and getting frustrated. Maybe tomorrow will deliver what all us high wind enthusiasts want who live in Southern England! Come on guys! Here we go!

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, William Grimsley said:

I take back all my statuses saying "Why can't we get a proper storm?" and getting frustrated. Maybe tomorrow will deliver what all us high wind enthusiasts want who live in Southern England! Come on guys! Here we go!

I've been on the phone to Network Rail a lot the past few days warning of the worst winds over Devon and Cornwall so you should get your wish!

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, William Grimsley said:

As a high wind enthusiast you would've wet yourself with excitement if you were in Lerwick when storm Gertrude blasted through lol, hurricane force winds, red warning & gusts 90-100mph, 105mph top gust! 

gert1.thumb.jpg.a64c4831ed8c5237e9e0c352

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

I hope you are being careful what you wish for down there in the SW UK. I was out of my bed between 0200 and 0400 last night because the rain and wind were so fierce here in Limousin and it was nothing named or significant. I am a great believer in sleep hygiene - and one of the principles is that you don't just lie there when you can't sleep because your bed then gets associated with lack of sleep! Complicated but great physiological and psychological backing.

That aside. it looks a wild one for you folks. Stay safe.

Nice almost thundery showers here in central France, getting very dark ATM so I'm expecting a deluge.

• Like 1

Posted

Imogen is now currently a mature Atlantic depression with a central pressure of 956mb, she'll be starting to fill slowly now as she approaches the UK. 

This was Imogen during the early hours of Sunday, if she was hitting the UK in this state then we'd be talking some very impressive gusts & poss red warnings for some. 

imo2.thumb.PNG.ddda45083bbf03c7f7a8c3c02imo4.thumb.png.9303ceca5c2c493d2af6be71b

Current analysis & latest satellite image of her. 

imo.thumb.gif.2f100230d32e3fa7baed8ae629imo1.thumb.PNG.db07c3e00e6d2564afeb44bd1

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

As a high wind enthusiast you would've wet yourself with excitement if you were in Lerwick when storm Gertrude blasted through lol, hurricane force winds, red warning & gusts 90-100mph, 105mph top gust! 

gert1.thumb.jpg.a64c4831ed8c5237e9e0c352

Haha, I certainly would of done! If only that was down here!

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

I hope you are being careful what you wish for down there in the SW UK. I was out of my bed between 0200 and 0400 last night because the rain and wind were so fierce here in Limousin and it was nothing named or significant. I am a great believer in sleep hygiene - and one of the principles is that you don't just lie there when you can't sleep because your bed then gets associated with lack of sleep! Complicated but great physiological and psychological backing.

That aside. it looks a wild one for you folks. Stay safe.

Nice almost thundery showers here in central France, getting very dark ATM so I'm expecting a deluge.

Woah, that's being incredibly OTT. I've learnt to not associate things with other things but yes, if the wind and rain was very severe I would obviously investigate and no just lie there. lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, high winds, thunder, snow

What are we thinking for the London / Essex border area for tomorrow's gusts?  Met Office wind map seems to think 60-70mph but most of the graphs only indicate about 50-55mph max.

Posted
3 minutes ago, AdamStorm7891 said:

What are we thinking for the London / Essex border area for tomorrow's gusts?  Met Office wind map seems to think 60-70mph but most of the graphs only indicate about 50-55mph max.

The Met Office wind gust map also showing 50-55mph gusts inland, 60-70mph along the exposed south coast where the amber warning is in force.

imo5.thumb.PNG.7beeb1fde9cb83baa876d3b65

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, high winds, thunder, snow
Just now, *Sub*Zero* said:

The Met Office wind gust increase showing 50-55mph gusts inl and, 60-70mph along the exposed south coast where the amber warning is in force.

imo5.thumb.PNG.7beeb1fde9cb83baa876d3b65

But the dividing line map suggests 60-70Mph gusts as far inland as the Thames Estuary and the surrounding suburbs.

Dark threatening clouds gathering as I speak and wind starting to increase!

Posted
1 minute ago, AdamStorm7891 said:

But the dividing line map suggests 60-70Mph gusts as far inland as the Thames Estuary and the surrounding suburbs.

Dark threatening clouds gathering as I speak and wind starting to increase!

I guess they will be the max gusts likely in that area which may be near the coasts and not representative that all locations will see gusts that high? Be easier than putting dividing lines all over the map with all the different wind gusts for certain locations, maybe a bit misleading? 

Best using higher res models now it's within range vs lower res larger grid points of the GFS etc which won't be able to take into account local topography for example.  

High res NetwX-SR gusts charts. 

net1.thumb.png.45f9ff1c5ac2f47abcc576273net2.thumb.png.a605270a1f422bf4f0a8ccbb6net3.thumb.png.cbfb59713e728ba419a8b1af3