Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Netatmo opinions?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

So, today is my birthday and I've been given a Netatmo - basic station, so one outdoor and one indoor module. I'll be looking to get the wind and rain gauges in due course but I've never had one of these and wondered if anyone's used them and has opinions? Any tips and tricks to get the most out of it? 

MTIA :D 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I've been using one since 2013.

I posted here about it yesterday: 

The outdoor temp/humidity sensor really does need to be in some kind of ventilated box, as it needs to be in the open. If you put it on a North-facing wall, you'll get inaccurate results, and rain will cause the humidity to stick at the maximum level for hours.

I bought the first system (indoor and outdoor sensors) for £100 back in 2013, and the way it works with phone apps is really good. The rain gauge then came out, I imported that from Germany before the UK release- not only that, the eventual UK pricing was £30 more than what I paid. The same with the anemometer, I paid £69 from Germany, it was released over here at £89

It is expensive for what it is, but I do like it. There's no doubting, if you're meticulous about data, then you'll have to do something about putting the outdoor temp/hum sensor in a make-shift Stevenson screen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

@Mapantz Thank you! That's brilliant information :) I have no problem sorting out a diy screen for the outdoors module but I appreciate knowing that I need to before I even unbox the damn thing. I'll take a look at the link you included too. Much appreciated.

• 3 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/ Snow

I too have one HERE

• 1 year later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
43 minutes ago, Larger than average Hobo said:

The system has been running for about 8 days now and seems to be giving really good results, with yesterday reaching 20.8 degC. October will be my first full month, so i’ll post a graphical summary at the end. Meanwhile, here’s September so far .....

438E6034-DA70-414B-8E08-88480493FD98.jpeg

Looks great! Wish more people would put in a bit more effort with their Netatmo stations.

Personally on Wunderground I tend to dismiss any data that comes from a Netatmo station, fully because they are not designed to be sited in places that temperature should be measured.

Netatmo are adding to the number off duff data on many weather websites however a slight bit of DIY like yourself and the data quality improves massively. Nice one!

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
Posted

I've had one since 2013 and have been mostly happy with it...with a few issues along the way.

I added the rain gauge in 2014 and it has worked well, just had clean it out a couple of times. I wind gauge when it became available but the first unit failed after a 6 months or so, it would indicate a constant 20MPH wind, even on the stillest of days. Netatmo replaced it under warranty, however this one only lasted a few months and would indicate no  wind when it was blowing a  gale. It also went through batteries at a rate of knots (pun intended) and so I gave up with it. A few years ago when  the outdoor module needed a battery change it failed reconnect to the base station even if it right next to it; had to buy a new outdoor module. The second indoor module upstairs also had a issue where the CO2 reading was a constant 5000 ppm but replacing the batteries  recently seems to have resolved that.

Might try to revive the wind gauge to see if having powered down for a few years has made it work better...