Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion pm 13/01/2016

phil nw.

Posted

Will be interesting to see what support that run has. It looks a bit ott to me but I think the underlying message of heights to our south remains strong and whilst that background signal remains anything notably cold remains firmly off the table.

more runs needed :diablo::)

Posted
Just now, tight isobar said:

Mad as it seems to say...

I think vast amount of operationals' gfs; ecm; gem ukmo...are going into hyper overdrive here!!!! (Mobility madness)!!!

Perhaps I've just gone mad in saying so...but I can certainly mind things may not look so dire within 48hrs!!! 

I do hope you are correct. However, and no matter how unpallatable it may seem, the outputs could not be any worse for cold lovers at the moment. You could argue the only way is up so you are probably correct but everything is relative lol.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

The thing I fear the most is a cold and wet Spring, even it it does snow I really do prefer warmer weather by then. Unfortunately I am starting to think that our favourable Winter blocks will turn up in March/April/May, and probably in Summer too like last year.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
24 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The best thing about this GFS 18hrs run is that thankfully it will be over soon! lol

A horrid set of charts with the PV going into overdrive.

I duno, we still end up with a split vortex...it's just with the main vortex lobe still going strong over Greenland the Euro heights have nowhere to go really. This can, however, change in subsequent runs.

npsh500.png

Posted

At T138 12 ensemble memebers have better links than the op.. small glimmer of hope. As far as the 18z op goes, DREADFUL! Even the warming isnt as prononuced. 

Posted

quick look at this run... No height rises over Greenland at any stage.... jet stream pouring energy out of US....no real chance of any Scandinavian high or Siberian High pushing towards us- too much energy pushing our from Atlantic... high pressure generally over Azores, Southern Europe. If this run verifies only 70% its bad news until mid February i expect.

One week is however a long time to obtain accurate forecasts in our part of the world...  but to be honest I cannot see where any cold will appear from for the forseeable future. It is however only one model run but its looking a bit like December all over again however the worst of precipitation seems to be generally for Northern Britain again

hgt300.png

Edited by Derbyshire Snow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: deep snow/warm sunshine
34 minutes ago, snowray said:

1st February, not long to go now. Hope this don't verify.

gfs-0-300.png

I hope it does as we may as well have an early spring cos winter this year just isn't going to happen! People may say how can you say this with so much winter left? It's going to be at least 2 weeks before we get any sort of chance and for us down here Feb cold is extremely rare and March cold is a waste of time.

Edited by snow mad
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
23 minutes ago, snow mad said:

I hope it does as we may as well have an early spring cos winter this year just isn't going to happen! People may say how can you say this with so much winter left? It's going to be at least 2 weeks before we get any sort of chance and for us down here Feb cold is extremely rare and March cold is a waste of time.

For pretty much half of the winters this century February has been the coldest of the three months so it's not that rare...although I do appreciate that being the coldest winter month in this century does not necessarily constitute being cold in itself (the CET for Feb 2007 wasn't far off 6C !)

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, snow mad said:

Feb is rare?  So much to play for especially given the models inability to cope with the synoptics.

• Like 2

Posted

Hopefully today was just a day of 'bad luck' with model synoptics and despite being in the minority its good to see that as per Fergie saying, synoptics favouring cold do have some support at the moment. Also charts from today showing heavy rain and storms returning and still staying there with the Euroslug in place a week to 10 days out from now are not in the close enough timeframe to verify, what good is taking these horrible model runs today as 'gospel' when they easily flipped from the stellar runs from yesterday and will probably flip again. If some of the bad charts from last week actually verified upon which people also cried 'winter is over' we would have be seeing heavy rain and milder temperatures already since the weekend, when some saw snow. 

Also these wild swings in runs day by day, as outlined by Tamara, could be a response by the models of the impact of strat warming, once again, that cannot be ruled out when there is good support building for such an event to happen. What has perhaps been a bit overlooked is the possibility the models today overdid the signals arising as a result of the possible precursor to the displacement of the vortex (temporary strengthening = milder conditions returning) We may see in the coming days and weeks, this is all the result of the atmostphere battering the vortex into submission which should a SSW occur afterwards or even sufficient vortex displacemet, kill any re emerging Euroslugs and get us the cold we all crave. 

Uncertainty is the key word here and what we can continue to hope for is a switch to a better outlook again and that these runs are still too far out to be taken as a serious reflection of future weather conditions and that strat warming gains considerable ground as we move into February which looks more and more likely.

All hope is not lost :)

Edited by wishingforsnow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather in winter
On 14 January 2016 at 1:11 AM, Mildcarlisle said:

And having a look at the jet-stream modelling, Tuesday 19th Jan. seems to be pivotal with energy moving out of Eastern U.S.A. resulting in cyclogenesis which would appear to move things on,such that by Saturday 23rd, the 'layabout' synoptics we have just now will have changed likes.

Tues 19th.png

Sat 23rd.png

And it seems the jet stream models were correct likes. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

We certainly aren't seeing much encouragement in the operational output but I feel confident we will see positive changes soon.

I did say this was a slow burner and I still feel that way but I expect see positive changes in the day 9/10 region over the next day or two.

Remember this chart from this mornings GFS for Feb 2, it doesn't get much worse than this.

gfsnh-0-312.png?0

But I think the reality will be very different. A good while back I said that we would likely see an effort to build a Scandi high in the output but this would likely fail and attention would switch back to Atlantic sector. While I was happy to cheer an Easterly on I think this is going to prove correct except we are not really seeing the Atlantic ridge and height rises toward Greenland being modeled which I hoped would appear late Jan and now there are only 11 days left to end of month.

If it is going to happen anything like I thought then it needs to start showing in the next 2 days and I'm fairly confident the models will at least move away from the very dismal Southerly blocking from the Atlantic, through Europe and into Russia, yuk!

Crystal ball time;

I hope to see a deep trough modeled dropping into Europe and a strong Atlantic ridge behind around end of Jan. Seems to me models are over estimating the strength of high pressure to our South and how the PV in this region may split into two lobes and move SE and SW  out of their Greenland home. Well it works in my head anyway, the models just need to catch on.:pardon:

ECM out to 168 as I post and looking a little better for lowering heights to the South perhaps though they the Euro slug is in full force here.

ECH1-168.GIF?20-12

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 9

Posted
6 hours ago, Timmytour said:

For pretty much half of the winters this century February has been the coldest of the three months so it's not that rare...although I do appreciate that being the coldest winter month in this century does not necessarily constitute being cold in itself (the CET for Feb 2007 wasn't far off 6C !)

I'm more thinking of snow rather than just cold as Down here we haven't had snow in February with the exception of 2012, as my name would suggest that is my main interest in winter. And after the 3 past winters being snowless in one and only two dusting that melted after an hour in the others I certainly don't see us getting any snow now unfortunately.

Posted
6 hours ago, Trom said:

Feb is rare?  So much to play for especially given the models inability to cope with the synoptics.

It is down here! I think the euro heights has been the overwhelming trend on all models for at least a week now! And we all know how long that can hang around and could quite easily scupper the rest of winter. Would love to be totally wrong 

• Like 2

Posted

Can't see many positives this morning, I still think by the weekend the FI charts will be much better ( although still FI)

EC32 showing any changes??

• Like 1

Posted

GEM gets very close to an easterly at day 9. It has the low over the med - Hope is not lost but remains the outsider

image.png

Edited by Tim Bland
  • Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Ali1977 said:

Can't see many positives this morning, I still think by the weekend the FI charts will be much better ( although still FI)

EC32 showing any changes??

One positive this morning is that there are more colder ensemble members on the gfs in the medium to long term. Lets see what the ecm ens look like.

• Like 3

Posted

A promising looking "going forward" day 10 ensemble mean from the 00z ECM,with a big split in the lower vortex and some higher temperature anomalies over the Arctic.

EDH1-240.GIF.thumb.png.d826d24f0ce8ccde2EDH100-240.GIF.thumb.png.33fed7258473ad7

Any news on the extended EPS?     #fishing:D

• Like 3

Posted

As BA says the GFS (p) is sticking with the easterly thanks to a monster scandi high. Does anyone know how reliable this model is? How does it perform compared to the operational GFS

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

As BA says the GFS (p) is sticking with the easterly thanks to a monster scandi high. Does anyone know how reliable this model is? How does it perform compared to the operational GFS?

image.png

image.png

You can see the verification stats here, its the GFSX :

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS_vsdb/

Its performance is a bit up and down depending on timeframe. Its currently beating the ECM at day 8 but then falls behind at day 10.

At the moment the normal GFS is better than the ECM at both days 8 and 10.The ECM still leads at day 6 on the 00hrs outputs.

How long this lasts for hard to say but the ECM past day 6 seems to be having more problems than normal.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

cor_day5_HGT_P500_G2NHX.png

Running slightly ahead of the current GFS (as you'd hope) and the UKMO at 5 days. Still trailing the Euro. 

Posted

The ECM De Bilt ensembles are in a word blah!

http://www.weerplaza.nl/15daagseverwachting/?r=midden&type=eps_pluim

Nothing exceptionally mild there but also very little cold apart from the cold outlier! I don't see a return to the December horror show but apart from that it just looks uninspiring.

Towards day ten theres a couple more colder solutions that break away from the blah cluster! Wind direction wise theres a few that go more nw and also some more in the east/ne.

I'm doing my best here to spin some interest!

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 6