Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 6th December and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Have had sporadic pulses of Thunder & Lightning over the last few hours.

There was a monumentus thunderbolt at approx 05:30 with surrounding rumbles and again another bright flash and rumble just now.  

Best T&L I've had overhead for a while here.

Edited by AWD
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Latest tweet from Fergie

W COUNTRY #STORMIMOGEN Peak gusts develop later this AM to noon. These look set to *particularly* impact N #Somerset/M5/A370/A38 & #Bristol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Massive clap of thunder here in Bristol followed by a monsoon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

I've had more lightning here from this storm than I did last Summer! It has gone really dark outside with an almighty flash and rumble. Love it! Winds picking up the drive to work was a bit hairy with crosswinds from the Severn Estuary. It is probably a good thing that it is half term, as traffic was relatively quiet.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Chris K said:

I've had more lightning here from this storm than I did last Summer! It has gone really dark outside with an almighty flash and rumble. Love it! Winds picking up the drive to work was a bit hairy with crosswinds from the Severn Estuary. It is probably a good thing that it is half term, as traffic was relatively quiet.

It's only half term in Bristol & South Gloucs I think.

Driving from Bristol to Dawlish later this morning.  Could be a slow drive I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter
1 minute ago, AWD said:

Driving from Bristol to Dawlish later this morning.  Could be a slow drive I think.

Take care with that AWD I really wouldnt want to be going far myself.

I saw what looked like snow or hail in Warmley earlier think thats the first of the winter if it was indeed snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast
2 minutes ago, AWD said:

Yes you are right. Take care on your journey...wind gusts seem to be increasing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

It is very local really. While the lightning at nearby Keysham and Bristol was seen here earlier we have had nothing more than a breeze all night and just a splash of rain which has just topped 1mm since midnight. It just shows how sheltered I am here under the Mendips. Had winds been more WNW rather than just South of West things could of been very different here with the winds funnelling from the Bristol Channel along the Eastern side of the Mendips. People round here are saying that the warnings have been overstated but reading the reports on here I think it's a lot of good fortune of local topography and the wind direction rather than a forecasting error. 

• Like 1

Posted

Wind has picked up here now, 24mph and a few 35mph gusts.
Radio Solent just saying that they expect Bournemouth area to get the stronger winds in an hour and 11am for Southampton and to the East.

DAB (South Hampshire MUX)  is broken and radio solent are asking people to tunein to AM and FM. Has the wind affected the DAB transmitters?
Just tried my DAB and Solent on there is very poor. Good old FM, never fails!
Always listen Myself via radioplayer or tunein on the iPad now, just find DAB often so hit and miss.

Edited by lettice

Posted

Been windy all night. Hardly slept a wink! The winds do seem to be getting worse, but at least there is no school run today.

Posted

Winds now picking up, but more blustery than constant. Think the squalls will generate biggest gusts. I'm surprised how cold it is. I was expecting rain and wind but not the cold. Winds set to peak over lunchtime and gradually reduce tea time ish (tho I'm firther east than most of you). Off to brave the elements for a bit!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Nothing to note of here as of yet. Just a normal windy day. Top gust so far here is 42 mph at 03:45.

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Big bang of thunder towards Bristol as I left the house this morning, then drove through the tail end of the monsoon that went over Bristol. Didn't hear any thunder overnight so must have tracked north again over Bristol. Main feature has of course been the wind; not quite as strong as Barney but pretty impressive for February!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Hmm I see the snow for Tuesday is still on my met office app but it has been dropped on gfs I have a bad feeling it is going south...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
19 minutes ago, Gibby said:

It is very local really. While the lightning at nearby Keysham and Bristol was seen here earlier we have had nothing more than a breeze all night and just a splash of rain which has just topped 1mm since midnight. It just shows how sheltered I am here under the Mendips. Had winds been more WNW rather than just South of West things could of been very different here with the winds funnelling from the Bristol Channel along the Eastern side of the Mendips. People round here are saying that the warnings have been overstated but reading the reports on here I think it's a lot of good fortune of local topography and the wind direction rather than a forecasting error. 

I'm just a few miles up the road from you but on top of a big hill, it was blowing a hoolie from about 1.30am but is currently remarkably calm. So far, daylight hours today have been much quieter and calmer than yesterday. I'm glad I'm not at work today though, strong cross winds tend to catch my old Landy and bounce it around a bit. Hoping I don't get to work tomorrow and find trees down, some are very old and a bit feeble now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Morning all - Not sure how I cycled to work this morning; unbelievably windy. It is definitely possible to end up further away from work than where you started in conditions like this. The lightning with instant booming thunder was great to see 1st thing this morning too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

It's not even windy here lol

I've noticed the MetO have cut the winds down again over night.

Lucky.Blowing a hoolie here,really raging.

Just taken a branch off my specimen Ceanothus:sorry:

Posted

Pretty gusty here with fair amount of rain, had thunder and lightning at around 5:30 this morning and it was pretty bad! Pressure is 972.9 atm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
5 minutes ago, Karl83 said:

Morning all - Not sure how I cycled to work this morning; unbelievably windy. It is definitely possible to end up further away from work than where you started in conditions like this. The lightning with instant booming thunder was great to see 1st thing this morning too!

Hopefully a sign of some good convective storms this year. Late Feb through to late May brought the best thunder here last year from all the Pm conditions that prevailed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

A small selection of the UK - Peak gusts [mph] as per weatheronline.co.uk up to 9am.

Scilly St Mary (30 m)81 mph

Mumbles (32 m)81 mph

RNAS Culdrose (84 m)80 mph

Pembrey Burrows (6 m)77 mph

Jersey Airport (84 m)76 mph

Aberdaron (94 m)75 mph

Guernsey Airport (101 m)74 mph

Cardinham (199 m)71 mph

Camborne (88 m)71 mph

Aberporth (134 m)71 mph

Isle of Portland (52 m)70 mph

Thorney Island (3 m)69 mph

Milford Haven (32 m)68 mph

Shoreham Airport (2 m)68 mph

St Athan (49 m)68 mph

Exeter Airport (30 m)66 mph

Langdon Bay (117 m)66 mph

Royal Marines Base Chivenor (6 m)66 mph

Plymouth MtBatten (50 m)66 mph

RAF Holbeach (2 m)66 mph

St. Catherine's Point (24 m)65 mph

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Hmm I see the snow for Tuesday is still on my met office app but it has been dropped on gfs I have a bad feeling it is going south...

Latest EURO4 still maintaining an interesting theme for the elevated members Tuesday morning;

16020912_0800.thumb.gif.2eeec6ac50f4f61a

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Very few inland sites picking up strong gusts of such a strength as to cause too much structural damage from what I've noted via weather online. However, with the worse yet to come and the longevity of the winds (only easing to nearer calm overnight) we should see many a tree and tree branch down. Take care out there.

Edited by gottolovethisweather