Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 6th December and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Nice work @Mapantz, look forward to that in the summer storm season :hi::hi:

Posted

Spring must be here as the daffodils are out in some places! It was nice and warm in that sun mid afternoon though!

Posted

Cloudy with temp 9C and wind SW 15mph.

As M has already noted the immediate concern is wind and rain over the weekend which is looking pretty grim. Usual caveat vis model rainfall totals.

gfs_ptype_slp_eur2_7.thumb.png.730199376gfs_tprecip_uk2_14.thumb.png.a7ea1af60e4PPVG89.thumb.gif.cbeabfd8ffae869c6270cd3

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Back to battleship grey this morning, mild and damp. Cloud base must have been quite low over night, the garden's doing a good impersonation of a rain forest. drip, drip, drip.....

BORED with autumn, want either winter or spring, not too bothered which one we get, just something other than this nothingness, day after day.

• Like 2

Posted

Enjoyed the lovely blue skies yesterday afternoon.

The rain has just arrived here now, light at the moment and the wind is light too, 12mph SW, 10c, 1022 hPa.
Calm before the storm today and then three days of heavy rain and 45 -55mph winds.
Really wanted to do some digging and planting in the garden, just looks like I will be locking everthing down this afternoon.

My daffodills are up, but none are flowering yet.

Edited by lettice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
49 minutes ago, jethro said:

Back to battleship grey this morning, mild and damp. Cloud base must have been quite low over night, the garden's doing a good impersonation of a rain forest. drip, drip, drip.....

BORED with autumn, want either winter or spring, not too bothered which one we get, just something other than this nothingness, day after day.

It was amazing how quickly the cloud came down in Bristol late yesterday afternoon. It had been sunny for a good few hours then it clouded over and descended on the city with the surrounding hills completely covered. Driving back to North Somerset, it was almost foggy-like. Totally unexpected!

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, MP-R said:

It was amazing how quickly the cloud came down in Bristol late yesterday afternoon. It had been sunny for a good few hours then it clouded over and descended on the city with the surrounding hills completely covered. Driving back to North Somerset, it was almost foggy-like. Totally unexpected!

Indeed so. Yet by 9pm it was all clear again as I returned back to work from Cleeve. It's going to be a real mess tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
22 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

Indeed so. Yet by 9pm it was all clear again as I returned back to work from Cleeve. It's going to be a real mess tomorrow.

Yes, not particularly looking forward to tomorrow - looks like a shocker. Just as well I'm knee high in university work; day to be indoors.

• Like 1

Posted

Autumnal today, with drizzle and warmth, it's just like Octoberrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Currently

Temp 9.3°C

DP 8.2°C

RH 93%

1017.0 mb Falling slowly

Rainfall 0.5mm

Just checked the calendar nope it's not October (well at least according to that..)

Posted

Looks like some quite troublesome rainfall totals tomorrow from what I can see, with the suggestion that narrow intense line segments may track over the same areas for a while...

e.g. the 00z Euro4
16020700_0500.gif

GFS and more so ECM seem to have it a touch further west.

I wonder if the Met Office warning could go amber?

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

After the rain and wind of saturday looks like more rain and wind on sunday! But the air will be colder, looking like moors and hills could get a wintery mix Sunday morning.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It looks like a fine line between heavy/light rain according to the GFS. I can see little rain here, and just a few miles West getting a deluge!

viewimage.thumb.png.f61b52c27aad64172a4e56b4cd8c747c1_viewimage(1).thumb.png.f9856b4cd9084732_viewimage(2).thumb.png.130

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

It looks like a fine line between heavy/light rain according to the GFS. I can see little rain here, and just a few miles West getting a deluge!

viewimage.thumb.png.f61b52c27aad64172a4e56b4cd8c747c1_viewimage(1).thumb.png.f9856b4cd9084732_viewimage(2).thumb.png.130

Interesting, notice too the beeb and met office forecasts have changed since this morning re the rain and it is getting pushed more West as it gets closer.
But the wind still looks to have persistent strong gusting for the next few days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.
5 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

Met Office is at amber I think for the area.

AND for Monday..

I'm not seeing amber but yes please!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
8 hours ago, MP-R said:

The Mendip murk strikes again!

Turned into a grim drizzly day here today. Surprisingly windy out there already, can't say I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

Saw something on the way to work today that I don't think I've ever seen....the Hawthorn hedges are breaking into leaf already! It's something I always look forward to, they're such an intense green and usually signify that spring is well and truly on the way. I've never seen it happen in February before, let alone the first week of the month.

Edited by jethro
Botanical gossip :-)

Posted
1 hour ago, jethro said:

Saw something on the way to work today that I don't think I've ever seen....the Hawthorn hedges are breaking into leaf already! It's something I always look forward to, they're such an intense green and usually signify that spring is well and truly on the way. I've never seen it happen in February before, let alone the first week of the month.

I was going to post that I saw the exact same thing driving from Exeter to Exmouth today! Already intense green young leaves out there turning the hedge green..

Also what looked like one on the boundary of a friends garden (in Ottery), certainly something with fresh green leaves (but didn't go out in the drizzle to check). Their magnolia had a few flowers starting to come out too.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

I was going to post that I saw the exact same thing driving from Exeter to Exmouth today! Already intense green young leaves out there turning the hedge green..

Also what looked like one on the boundary of a friends garden (in Ottery), certainly something with fresh green leaves (but didn't go out in the drizzle to check). Their magnolia had a few flowers starting to come out too.

Yes, same here. We don't have a hawthorn hedge but our south facing hedge started coming out a couple of weeks ago!

Posted
1 hour ago, knocker said:

The current belt of rain should be through by 2000 but.................................

Image1.thumb.jpg.19aabf1ea820e23725fd177Image2.thumb.jpg.d111d40bd62383c4c585b43Image3.thumb.jpg.3ab9f26d11603adcd20e70a

Image4.thumb.jpg.4e5be0e84e6b5a5670104c1

Please shift that line 50 miles west!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Pretty gusty here, at the moment and its only 35mph. The MetO gust speeds forecast for here tomorrow, are the strongest for over a year. 9+ hours of 50 - 60mph. SSW to S as well, hopefully I can record some good speeds.

• Like 1