Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 6th December and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
11 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Haha, great picture. May be a practise next week:

prectypeuktopo.png Attempt 1

prectypeuktopo.png Attempt 2

Will probably be rain nearer the time though...

Rain????? Noooo, keep the faith man. Remember 2009...it can and will happen. Although to be fair, I could do without a repeat of April 2000.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Posted 49 minutes ago · Report post

52 minutes ago, xtremeweather said:

Liam Dutton on twitter, commenting that low pressure's next week - taking a more southerly track & with increased moisture available ? ( Enhanced snow risk ) ?

I.F, Yes, the potential has been flagged for a few days now, looking ahead. Clearly, devil in the detail but in broad terms, snow could well occur further south at times compared to (most) recent weeks.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

So our glimmer of winter remains for next week now...  :acute:

How much more can we tolerate before we just break? :shok::crazy:

• Like 1

Posted

It's always 'next week' though this winter isn't it and any small nearer range possibilities (eg this morning, the Monday a few weeks ago) just fizzle out or provide cold drizzle.

Meanwhile we have 2 more days well into double figures to come courtesy of another large warm sector after this latest mini chilly snap which brought the odd wintry shower, a slight frost, a cold wind but still maxima above average here!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Hello.
I've spent most of the day working on a way to show some hi-resolution charts on my website (mainly for convective purposes, but not solely) I've been given permission by a company to allow me to have them on my site, however, it's not as straight forward as one might think. They have created an FTP for me, on their server- I can then connect to access the charts (which I picked out) 
I have had to set up a script that connects to their server, and mine at the same time- twice every 24hrs, and then all the files get transferred over to my site, all 1400 images/400MB of them lol
It might seem like a complete waste of time, but I will find it very useful, and I hope some of you may use them from time to time. :)

Simply click 'charts' in the menu to reveal the drop-down, or start here: http://www.warehamwx.com/wx/plugins/charts/temperature2.php

2016-02-03.thumb.png.c2c9a905389bce2b649

My eyes are strained to #%@! after today! :help:

• Like 4

Posted

Wow, very nice Mapantz!

Not a bad day here, quite windy with some showery bits this morning with a gust of 38mph just after 12. Otherwise a fair bit of sunshine, and only near average temperatures (blimey).

Max 8.7c, min last night 2.0c

Currently 1.6c

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
4 hours ago, jethro said:

Rain????? Noooo, keep the faith man. Remember 2009...it can and will happen. Although to be fair, I could do without a repeat of April 2000.

We can dream! I don't actually remember April 2000, not like 1999. May have been more marginal and better suited to the Mendips rather than lower levels.

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Hello.
I've spent most of the day working on a way to show some hi-resolution charts on my website (mainly for convective purposes, but not solely) I've been given permission by a company to allow me to have them on my site, however, it's not as straight forward as one might think. They have created an FTP for me, on their server- I can then connect to access the charts (which I picked out) 
I have had to set up a script that connects to their server, and mine at the same time- twice every 24hrs, and then all the files get transferred over to my site, all 1400 images/400MB of them lol
It might seem like a complete waste of time, but I will find it very useful, and I hope some of you may use them from time to time. :)

Simply click 'charts' in the menu to reveal the drop-down, or start here: http://www.warehamwx.com/wx/plugins/charts/temperature2.php

That's really cool, I was going to try and build a website to try and do my own gfs charts, I emailed NOAA about it and they gave me the info and gave me permission to use it and build it how I wanted but it confused the hell outta me and I have kinda gave up now. I need to look in to it again at some point. :) 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Hello.

Brilliant.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
6 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

That's really cool, I was going to try and build a website to try and do my own gfs charts, I emailed NOAA about it and they gave me the info and gave me permission to use it and build it how I wanted but it confused the hell outta me and I have kinda gave up now. I need to look in to it again at some point. :) 

I have to say, i did just sit and stare at the screen for a while! Once I started, I got momentum. I've also been looking at making my own GFS set using opengrads. It's free, but omg! The work that has to be done (especially if you want the bare essentials in terms of charts) is crazy! The data runs in to GB's too, four times a day.. I get unlimited bandwidth on my server, but I don't think I could put myself through it all. lol
The charts I have on there now, are good enough for me, even if they only go up to 37hrs. They're useful for snowy or convective setups- the ones where 24hrs in advance it's difficult to predict.. May even get some good use early next week..

Rtavn1081.thumb.gif.b088dab60158fc70a4e9

An op chart I've plucked out as an example.. while not to everybody's tastes, for the all-round enthusiast it's a haven. I'm hoping for some cracking cloudscapes during showery conditions. :)

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

We can dream! I don't actually remember April 2000, not like 1999. May have been more marginal and better suited to the Mendips rather than lower levels.

Details here:

http://www.drrichardwild.co.uk/pdf/ukNews/UK%20Heavy%20Snowfall%20News%202000.pdf

Posted
12 hours ago, offerman said:

Posted 49 minutes ago · Report post

52 minutes ago, xtremeweather said:

Liam Dutton on twitter, commenting that low pressure's next week - taking a more southerly track & with increased moisture available ? ( Enhanced snow risk ) ?

I.F, Yes, the potential has been flagged for a few days now, looking ahead. Clearly, devil in the detail but in broad terms, snow could well occur further south at times compared to (most) recent weeks.

You mean, do you really mean....it might reach the M4 finally:search:

• Like 1

Posted

Mornin' all, a damp (light drizzle) start to the day, currently:

Temp 9.0°C

DP 7.9°C 

RH 92 %

Wind 4.6mph SW

1021.8 mb Steady

Rainfall not measureable

Posted

I've just been checking stateside to see how the models compare over there, to see if they are any better than the model predictions for the UK.

Here's what they predicted:

Staten Island Chuck (New York): Early spring

Buckeye Chuck (Ohio): Six more weeks of winter

General Beauregard Lee (Georgia): Early spring

Malverne Mel (New York): Early spring

Chattanooga Chuck (Tennessee): Early spring

Dunkirk Dave (Pennsylvania): Six more weeks of winter

Holtsville Hal (New York): Early spring

So pretty much like the European models really, lack of consensus it appears is the order of the day.

And finally, I'm not sure if this really does mean autumn will drag on, but:

The Sussex County ceremony was cancelled after reports came in late Monday night that groundhog Stonewall Jackson died, according to the NJ Herald. 

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted

This morning's GFS is bringing some very strong winds for the SW Monday morning but this is very much down to how it develops the low and thae latest fax is not in agreement. fear not.

gfs_mslp_uv10g_eur2_18.thumb.png.e196690PPVO89.thumb.gif.88f8d7d6ef6a9982cec93f5

Posted
7 minutes ago, lettice said:

Enjoyed the lovely blue skies and no rain yesterday, but only got to 10.2c

Grey and dry start today, 10c, 1026 hPa 9mph Westerly wind.
Weekend looking wet and windy.

Not only the weekend, into next week shows it continuing, at least Mon & Tues

Posted
10 hours ago, jethro said:

Thats really interesting I remember that blizzard well back in the day when spring brought us more luck than winter.. :D I shall have to have a proper look when I get home I remember being last year of school and village ground to a halt while school didn't believe me.

Posted

Quiet in here today, will have to wait until Mapantz wakes up and adds comment. Strange with what looks like an interesting weather weekend, are we all just "Autumn'd out"?

Posted
2 hours ago, Nights King said:

Thats really interesting I remember that blizzard well back in the day when spring brought us more luck than winter.. :D I shall have to have a proper look when I get home I remember being last year of school and village ground to a halt while school didn't believe me.

I've been in Somerset now for 18 years and I think almost all best snow events have happened at the tail end of winter/early spring. It does seem that us in the SW need extraordinary amounts of luck to see snow; easterly's, northerly's, north westerly's bless almost all other parts of the country whilst we have to hang around hoping against hope for a channel low to appear, when it's cold enough to maintain it as snow and not turn it to rain. Moving to the Highlands really does appeal some days.

Posted
27 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Quiet in here today, will have to wait until Mapantz wakes up and adds comment. Strange with what looks like an interesting weather weekend, are we all just "Autumn'd out"?

Not a lot to say about today, it's dry which is a plus but the sky's a sort of off white/very light grey nothingness.  Hope those winds at the weekend/early next week don't get as high as some anticipate, I loath high winds. Living on top of a big hill with far too many elderly trees for comfort within squashing distance of the house, I worry they'll come down one day. As for fences.....think we're now on our 5th in 15 years.

Posted

It's just about light enough now to leave the house at 5pm, after work for Downton and get back just before it gets too dark at 5:50pm.

Well worth it too this evening, with a stunning sunset over towards Cranbourne Chase.

IMGP0201_sm.thumb.jpg.3726291701c43a6ff7

• Like 4

Posted

I see next weeks possible snow yesterday has turned to more rain :sorry: 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Quite dense fog patches North of Bath at height was a difficult drive home this evening. Mild though