Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 6th December and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
2 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Just don't mention spring on the mod thread!

I don't know why they get so worked up. I'm a model reading numpty, seriously clueless when it comes to deciphering what all those coloured blobs mean, where they'll go, how and why they move around but....even a prize idiot like me can understand what makes it happen is decided by enormous drivers like the El Nino. All the experts have said all along that a cold winter was very unlikely this year. Cold here, if it happened at all, was going to come at the back end of winter, so why the surprise and disappointment?

It's akin to playing the lottery four times a day, every day and despite the odds of something like 45 million to one, expecting your numbers to come up and throwing a tantrum when they don't.  I kind of understand the disappointment, but I'll never understand the tantrums - especially those ones thrown at other people for not wanting cold weather. Surely that's like blaming other lottery players for your numbers not coming up, on the basis that them playing and hoping their numbers win, will somehow influence why you didn't win. Freud would have loved reading the MAD thread.

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, knocker said:

Your okay he's up in the Cairngorms at the moment.

That's because he's from Bristol and knows just how far away from the SW you have to go to see snow. There's a memorial to Robert Scott in the graveyard here, his parents lived in the village and are buried here, although born in Plymouth he lived here too....look how far he was prepared to go to see snow.

Posted

Vile out this morning, as expected. Another soaking.

I had to extend my 24hr rain total axis to 40mm, before I went to bed last night. It already needs extending again. :mellow:

Capture.thumb.PNG.f25341b50676de20590817

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, jethro said:

Morning.

The pigeons are nesting and the blackbird boys are fighting. The frogs are auditioning for a re-mix release with Paul McCartney and the owls are staking their claim to their tree for the summer. Wildlife awakening after enduring the long, cold, record breaking, two day winter.

If it carries on like this the Springwatch team will be out in force and a crotchety Chris Packham will be grumbling his winter holiday has been cut short.

Amusingly BBC are doing 'Winterwatch' this week!

I got very lucky with working outside this morning as I managed to time things in the drizzly drier slot between the rain bands, 17mm emptied from my gauge an hour ago and the monthly mm is now beginning to increase further under a downpour.

Only 12.3c lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.
2 hours ago, jtay said:

Vile out this morning, as expected. Another soaking.

I had to extend my 24hr rain total axis to 40mm, before I went to bed last night. It already needs extending again. :mellow:

Capture.thumb.PNG.f25341b50676de20590817

Auto extend might be needed. Cumulus...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Finally stopped raining here. I've had issues with one gauge under-reading due to the constant strong winds, so I've been constantly checking the manual gauge against my Netatmo one, so I could update my website one..

18mm yesterday, 28mm today. 43.3mm for the last 24hrs. The manual gauge did record slightly more, but I've averaged it from the Netatmo gauge.
207.6mm for the month!

56a8d9798653e_chart(1).thumb.png.adf8502
56a8d9ef708f6_chart(2).thumb.png.f835fcb

hiradarzoomv42.thumb.png.a539f1de2f98c22

Currently..

Temp: 12.2°C - Hum: 90% - Bar: 1008.76hPa - Wind: WSW @ 10mph

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

Rain just stopping here now.
Had constant rain since mid afternoon yesterday.
19.8mm today and 8.6mm yesterday.

12c. 1007 hPa, WSW 16mph and a few 45 - 52 mph gusts mid morning.

Edited by lettice

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Finally stopped raining here. I've had issues with one gauge under-reading due to the constant strong winds, so I've been constantly checking the manual gauge against my Netatmo one, so I could update my website one..

18mm yesterday, 28mm today. 43.3mm for the last 24hrs. The manual gauge did record slightly more, but I've averaged it from the Netatmo gauge.
207.6mm for the month!

56a8d9798653e_chart(1).thumb.png.adf8502
56a8d9ef708f6_chart(2).thumb.png.f835fcb

hiradarzoomv42.thumb.png.a539f1de2f98c22

Currently..

Temp: 12.2°C - Hum: 90% - Bar: 1008.76hPa - Wind: WSW @ 10mph

Running right alongside of you with 44.2mm since this cloudburst started yesterday..

• Like 1

Posted

I know it's old news but there are some stunning shots here of NYC in the snow storm last week:

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2016/01/nyc-blizzard-photo/

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Knock knock......

who's there?

That ECM......

image.png

image.png

Thats not far off perfection for our region. Shame there's only one way to go from a chart like that, downgrades lol

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 5

Posted

This mornings moon, the night cleared perfect for it and can see Jupiter right next to it although I just have pics of the moon! :)

Waning Gibbous 82%.JPG

Waning Gibbous 28012016.JPG

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Very much lower rainfall totals here than in other parts of Dorset.  9.9mm to 09.00 yesterday and a further 1.8mm from the rest of the system.  Our small streams are still on flood alert in spite of that and assuming the worst for tomorrow and early Saturday.

1.6°C min here and a slight ground frost.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Surprise frost this morning and beautiful sunshine. Looks like alternating over the next few days with cloudy mild rubbish tomorrow and sunday, and chilly brightness today and saturday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Oh a lovely start today, shame its not going to last

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Bit of a frosty surprise this morning. -0.3C as i left this morning, surprising as lowest predicted temps last night was 4c! Lovely and sunny shame i'm indoors all day :cray:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter
2 hours ago, jtay said:

Min of 0.2C between 8-9am this morning.... and what a morning. Lovely stuff.

IMGP0173_sm.thumb.jpg.e13b5901ad11b04bf6

IMGP0180_sm.thumb.jpg.084cbc7249ab3e3a3b

Lovely photos

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Sunny start after a low of 2.2°C
Cloud has increased, sun has almost gone.

Temp: 10°C - Hum: 57% - Dew: 1.9°C - Bar:  1027.65hPa - Wind:  SW/WSW @ 10mph

Posted

Bit cloudy from 1 'til 2pm and the wind picked up early afternoon, but other than that it's been a cracker today. Oh for a day like today at the weekend, or any weekend...

IMGP0192_sm.thumb.jpg.e780661d1f6d49cec6