Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
4 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

I've lived at my house for 3 years and haven't had a flake of snow....missed the 09/10 winters as was overseas with work...an I finally going to get some by next weekend, surely it's looking possible, and some severe frosts especially looking possible!!

The signs are positive. There is nout warm about those ECM ENS. Fact

• Like 1

Posted

Not much support for the UKMO output upto T120hrs in the ECM postage stamps:

http://old.ecmwf.int/samples/d/inspect/teasers/samplers/banner/mean_sea_level_pressure_and_temperature_at_850hpa!120!pop!od!enfo!enplot!2016010712!!/

I'd be surprised if the UKMO doesn't modify their raw output in the fax charts.

• Like 2

Posted

Oh Fantasy Island my master you never disappoint. If that verifies I'll eat some of the foot-long icicles we'd get.

Firstly the strip of double digit minuses across from Wales to Norwich or Nottingham whichever one it is:

Netweather GFS Image

And then the double digit minuses around the Pennines and Northumberland:

Netweather GFS Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Prospect of heavy snowfall or a summer evening thunder storm, any extreme!
1 hour ago, Steve Murr said:

Dont hate the azores low - love it ( dont hate it )

- as long as it doesnt get to far north ...

its a snow bringer ....

These 2 charts never get a mention in the archives but the second one had the most fierce easterly ever..

its what happens when you spike the subtropical jet north out of spain against high pressure over greenland -

image.thumb.jpg.630917a5faf15f8c4d99cf8f

image.thumb.jpg.7b4f3bc21867a738ada9ae7a

s

As I'm sure there will (hopefully) be plenty of posting of charts over the coming days.  If you press and hold on the chart you can save the image rather than screen shots :)

Hopefully we can see a better interaction with the low to bring an easterly element into play!

Edited by CI Weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

pluim_06260_0_12_60.pngECM control making the running

PLUIM_06260_NWT.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, Nick F said:

Ever wondered why the GFS can't decide which direction to head in the medium to long range? Just take a look at its bias-corrected MJO forecast, though at least it gets into phase 8

image.thumb.gif.bf959c099ef4937a965fc4cd

The ECM confidently ploughs on through 8/1, gaining more amplitude with each day. It's been top dog with the MJO while the other models play catch up, the same is probably true with the medium range pattern ahead. 

image.thumb.gif.80408ad85b408dc90f8cd283

The 12z EPS days 10-15 does again show retrogression of the Greenland +height anomaly though, this could lead to a more west-based -NAO, but there is the potential for the deep cold pool building over Scandi and NW Russia to retrogress toward the UK too, keeping any milder intrusion from the SW at bay over France.

Yes I keep noticing this cold pool and wondering whether it will eventually come into play. Would certainly put the cherry on top.

• Like 1

Posted

The extended eps offer a more convincing route out of the cold by the end of week 2 as the -NAO becomes very west based and the Atlantic comes back in at our latitude. the control run is progressive and brings the Atlantic in just after day 10

• Like 4

Posted
24 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

Pretty good gefs tonight and a consistent message for the colder air sinking south over the UK by the 13th.

Compare the mean from the 4th to this evenings chart

568ecfbbf1b52_mean13.1.thumb.png.66444e2568ecfc3cd743_13.12.thumb.png.e76cca5403

and the 2mtr temperatures for Warks

568ed008b98ad_warks7.1.thumb.png.981c047

possible freezing days in there with the cold extending into the following week.

It seems based on these we are looking at at least a week of cold and with the 12z Op.run going mild against the set at the end who knows,maybe longer.

One trend I've been monitoring for 5 to 6 runs is to our North East. That cold pool has been building and building closer. I think our cold pool will receive an injection from days 8 onwards which is where our real cold is coming from. I have a sneaky feeling via undercut under a west based NAO and an easterly dow the line...

• Like 1

Posted

The extended eps offer a more convincing route out of the cold by the end of week 2 as the -NAO becomes very west based and the Atlantic comes back in at our latitude. the control run is progressive and brings the Atlantic in just after day 10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 hour ago, Theresnoway said:

Please can someone link to the model timetables, I cannot seem to find them.

TIA

Edited by Spah1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, bluearmy said:

It would just prove that the MO are getting better and the data we see almost seems like it reacts to MO forecasts rather than how it used to be (the other way around), just out of interest does it look like a reload is possible week 3 (meridional pattern continuation) or does it look like an atlantic driven spell will re-establish itself on the EPS, be interesting what the EC32 says tonight.

• Like 2

Posted

Looking at the US forecasters fax charts. The T144hrs one is more like the UKMO for the eastern USA, the T168hrs more like the ECM.

The GFS 12hrs run doesn't look like either.

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, nick sussex said:

Looking at the US forecasters fax charts. The T144hrs one is more like the UKMO for the eastern USA, the T168hrs more like the ECM.

So 12z is an outlier maybe?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Pretty supressed temps there

eps_pluim_tt_06260.thumb.png.2a8ab92a957

dew points looking good too,although could be a bit lower,but this is Netherlands

eps_pluim_td_06260.thumb.png.ed208ae60a8

as for wind direction,someone give me heads up on this as i am getting splinters in my fingers:laugh:

eps_pluim_dd_06260.thumb.png.a617bd5372c

Posted

1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Fax chart & UKMO @72hrs the low looks like it has cleared into North sea and 528 dam line down through half the country,

fax72s.gif

UW72-21.GIF

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, shaky said:

So 12z is an outlier maybe?

Both the UKMO and ECM develop a coastal low near New England at T144hrs. The GFS takes another 24hrs to develop that. So at this point I'd say yes because that also effects the ridge coming out of the ne USA at the T144hrs timeframe.

Then of course at T96 and T120hrs the UKMO seems to be an outlier over the UK with its troughing so still a lot to be resolved.

I don't mind its outlier though becoming the right trend!

Indeed if you follow the likely evolution on the UKMO   we'd have a better chance at tapping the colder pool to the ne.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2

Posted

The gfs para holds the Atlantic trough so far back to the west for so long that the second system coming off the eastern seaboard at day 8 phases with it and it's game over for any lengthy cold spell. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Did anyone notice that secondry hp cell forming off the eastern seaboard on the ukmo 144 hrs chart with the trough digging south(red circle) and a bit of WAA ahead of it,one to watch on the 18z 138

UN144-21.thumb.GIF.9cee6b02427ededfad815

ECM has it but the gfs and gem doesn't.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 1