Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted

It's worth looking at the NH plot on the ECM day 10. Not for any specific detail but note that only yesterday and the day before, we had a large angry p/v by the end of the run. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Fascinating output again tonight as we move into the weekend and beyond, GFS and its ensembles go really mild. UKMO stays frigid but dry with much potential beyond, and ECM trends towards UKMO, but still has the Atlantic knocking on the door, albeit it in a much more favourable way.

Obviously as a Westcountry resident, watching the inbound Atlantic lows disrupt and head south-east is our holy grail if the front can get far enough inland before fading. 

So its a catch 22 really from an IMBY perspective, we need the front to produce the snow, but we really want the high to win out to keep the cold!!

And looking at the ECM both seem possible. And that's also good for everyone wanting to keep the cold in situ. The second attempt from the Atlantic only brings the 0c isotherm as far as the borders before the cold move back in, and going by recent trends that isotherm could well end up much further south!!

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

It's worth looking at the NH plot on the ECM day 10. Not for any specific detail but note that only yesterday and the day before, we had a large angry p/v by the end of the run. 

Yes i noticed that Blue, any unsettled stuff doesnt look long lasting on ecm 12z at any rate.

Looks a bit colder than gfs for thurand friday too which im selfishly more interested in :D

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
19 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Let's just stick to what the models are suggesting?:D

well pete, does that mean we can post disagreement,  confusion and conflict??

gfsnh-0-144-1.thumb.png.2dcdadf98cc061dcUN144-21-3.thumb.gif.a848ca6bf6fd01e7153ECH1-144.thumb.gif.d7c4ac38d253c6308721c

lol!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
14 minutes ago, Greenland1080 said:

BA you said a bird with wings (I could see that as something else) ....I do find many experts are really struggling as to the end Jan early Feb call right now due to the possible SSW an where that might leave us in UK.

image.png

I like the UKMO's headless bowler in Singulaity's post above!

Just at the time we have the PV where we want it, is it a possible an SSW could actually dispury the existing opportunity instead of providing one?

Posted

Interestingly, the 12z ECM op arrests a sequence of 4 positive AO/NAO runs with both indicators staying negative.

similarly, the GFS op managed to keep negative on both by the end of its 12z run.  These aren't particularly neg returns compared to where we are next few days but the fact that they have chucked a piece of wood into the cogs may promise more changes tomorrow in the fi output. 

if the ens reflect this later, it will be a shame that the earlier ec32 and ec46 ran with yesterday's data rather than running today. 

• Like 7

Posted

Posted 6 days ago from GP (can't forum quote as now an archive thread)

"Unless of course if the trough slides out through the Atlantic south-east being the catalyst for our proper -NAO flip......could well be our torpedo surfacing before it strikes its target."

I wonder if the UKMO, and now to a lesser degree most other models, is playing this out?

Certainly got a lot of similarities with jan 2013 ( or was it 2012?). The one with the meandering mid-high lat blocking that brought about decent snowfall for many via slider systems.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

well pete, does that mean we can post disagreement,  confusion and conflict??

gfsnh-0-144-1.thumb.png.2dcdadf98cc061dcUN144-21-3.thumb.gif.a848ca6bf6fd01e7153ECH1-144.thumb.gif.d7c4ac38d253c6308721c

lol!

Well if we couldn't, what would we do? Just so long as the 'arguments' are both model-related and polite...:drunk-emoji:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Evening All! Well at last we can welcome in proper Winter weather the big question is how long can we keep it?  Gfs is the spoiler of the party , Ecm keeps the party going on for longer. It looks like the age old battle between mild and cold, but before any defeat some very nice snow surprises, which wont be forecast even down to the zero hour. Tomorrows Gfs  and Ecm will be pivitol in giving us some guidance in which direction we will be going......:closedeyes:

freezing.gif

post-5986-0-96303900-1439491213.gif

led.png

ledx.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

J168-21.GIF?12-12

Just noticed JMA wants to trash the party too, but that low bottom-left is the same extra one that GFS develops and which NCEP don't like the look of. The run basically combines that with the dramatic lowering of polar heights that ECM has now let go of, to produce an outcome quite similar to the ECM 00z det. but with HP more in control. Meh.

Shows the idea of a quicker strat influence isn't dead in the water yet, but the movement by ECM is about as heavyweight as it gets so I remain of a positive mindset this evening.

• Like 2

Posted
32 minutes ago, Dreamnine said:

No real (deep) cold in sight according to the models that I can see. Southern England will be 5C and raining. Here it will remain at 2 to 4C maxima a day which it's been the past week. But expect 8 to 9C widely next week.

I can't remember our last double digit maximum. But 10C quite likely in Edinburgh next week

Looks quite cold on the ECM. 3-5c across the south of the UK (i.e. south of the midlands) till Sunday, 0-3c the Midlands north. Colder still on Monday and Tuesday, with possible ice days further north! Very cold at night, with minus double figures in the North over the weekend and early next week. Wednesday and Friday maximum temperatures in the south are about 6c (9c in the south west), although tbf it does show double figure maximums on Thursday! Not a deep freeze, but notably quite cold with snow for some. I'm willing to wager that 'milder' temps shown Wednesday onwards continue to be pushed back... (i.e. the ukmo solution)

Also, as stated by Steve four posts down, the ensembles seem keen to retain the cold longer!

Edited by Mark Bayley
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The ECM postage stamps show a lot more support for the UKMO view tonight:

http://old.ecmwf.int/samples/d/inspect/teasers/samplers/banner/mean_sea_level_pressure_and_temperature_at_850hpa!120!pop!od!enfo!enplot!2016011212!!/

Theres still some which I'd rather not talk about! but overall they're not bad at all.

Cluster 1 and cluster 4 look best, and cluster 1 includes the op and control.

Edited by chris55
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

& to add a very mild outlier at the end with significant cold clustering redeveloping....

00zimage.thumb.jpg.eb4b8550e9899db7b22e5f2e

& 12z

image.thumb.jpg.35256f6fc4898d41509da8c3

solid swing over a period of 18 hours to the UKMO....

s

LOVE it steve boy :D

Excellent 120 mean- the milder options will vanish by 00z runs im sure :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I wouldn't call the EC op a mild outlier at all. It's on the mild end of the suite but it is not an outlier by any stretch of the imagination.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

I wouldn't call the EC op a mild outlier at all. It's on the mild end of the suite but it is not an outlier by any stretch of the imagination.

it pretty much is on the bottom set nickster, updated one :)

• Like 5