Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

University essay

Posted

Hi guys, i was just requesting a bit of help from you guys, so i have an essay coming up which need to be based on natural hazards in 2015, one of the one i have picked is the recent flooding in Cumbria. Requirements for the essay include the causes of the flooding. This is where i would appreciate your help, does anyone have access to the charts for around the time that this flooding occurred which can clearly show how the jet stream was parked right over us, and any charts showing the rain sitting over the northwest of England and its totals, i would be very grateful for this and any other information on the cause of this flooding e.g. saturated ground, history (2007 and any other events) any local formations which may enhance the flooding in these parts, why the ppn was so intense/lasted so long. I think i will include a bit about the topography of the area aswell so i am interested if any information  locals or anyone else knows if towns such as Keswick are particularly vulnerable this would be especially helpful, thanks guys!

Posted

Also does anyone know the main dates in which this event occurred, sources are very varied and it is limited mainly to newspaper articles which certainly aren't the most accurate as you could imagine. And does anyone have access to hyrdograph figures for the floods, thanks!

Edited by Staffordshire

Posted
4 minutes ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

LOL, know how you feel, I'm in my first year now, doing Geography! :)

Here's some charts. I've posted the charts, plus the 850 temperatures for both 5 December and Boxing Day, as those were the days with the most significant rainfall. We had a very mild, moist south-westerly which brought in a lot of moisture from the Atlantic. Storm Desmond on the 5th, also produced a phenomenon known as an "atmospheric river" of moisture from the tropics.

Rtavn00120151205.png.thumb.gif.df5942db1Rtavn00220151205.png.thumb.gif.969542c31Rtavn00120151226.png.thumb.gif.dacbea1e9Rtavn00220151226.png.thumb.gif.08c0079fd

Its probably not best that im only just starting haha! Im actually doing Business but i have selected this as an elective. Im going to focus on storm desmond i think. Thanks for the charts Thunderbolt, any more info will be appreciated!

Posted
21 hours ago, Earnest Easterly* said:

In addition to my post back then, another crucial factor which is mentioned a page back (in the thread above) is the presence of an atmospheric river as suggested by Thunderbolt. Along with the deep southwesterly flow from the tropics, bands of very deep moisture were transported towards the UK over and over again. This is nicely envisaged in a water vapor image made back then.

moisture.thumb.png.4f65b12a357c66918db13

Water vapor image on 5 December, 12Z.

Note the band of moisture-rich air (green and yellow colours) reaching from around Florida all the way via the UK towards the Baltic states.

Moisture-rich air in winter

In summer, moisture-rich air is quite frequently seen. However, in winter this is not the case. The only way in which such moisture-rich air can reach the UK in winter is by being transported from the tropics. So if the flow is due west (instead of southwest as was the case in much of December), such atmospheric rivers (or conveyor belts) are much less frequently seen.

I hope this information is of some help! If you have any other questions just ask.

Edited by Vorticity0123
  • Like 1