Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussions pm 31/12/15

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Lovely end to ECM tonight! Isnt it just lovely for coldies to actualy see some eye candy for once. We really need this!

Having said that, I feel a little frustrated at this up-coming week. Quite a lot of sub-zero 850s midlands northwards and yet forecasts are for rain.

Taking Sheffield as an example (which doesnt do too badly usually) then we can see for Wednesday there are -4s and -5s about and Thursday there are -3 to -4s, and yet met office website for example going for temps around 5c and rain. Excruciatingly close to a lot of snow lol, its agonising. You'd think -5s in early January might have delivered!

ECU0-72.GIF     ECU0-96.GIF?03-0

I really hope that tonights ECM can gain support over the coming week, and remains with this theme, but as we know with ECM FI charts it still sensible to keep our feet on the ground....for now!

Ill post the 850s from the T240 chart though as its a beauty and us coldies need something to smile at :)

ECU0-240.GIF

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Oh! ECM is rather a nice run!  Out at days 8-9-10 yes, but to newbies its a good thing to look out for!

If there is yellow associated with high pressure at 500hpa it means its stable and "real" lol. And as far as positioning goes this is rather good for cold prospects to the UK, strong Arctic high linking with North Atlantic high and a trough to the east! Lovely ha.

ECH1-216.GIF?03-0ECH1-240.GIF?03-0

• Like 7

Ecm looking ok near the end of the run but for a nationwide event an easterly component is required.  Northerlies are only good for exposed coastal areas and hills, leaving much of the country dry & bright.  There are a few exceptions of course but these are few and far between.  Looking for upgrades from the east on future runs.

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Shuga ice said:

Ecm looking ok near the end of the run but for a nationwide event an easterly component is required.  Northerlies are only good for exposed coastal areas and hills, leaving much of the country dry & bright.  There are a few exceptions of course but these are few and far between.  Looking for upgrades from the east on future runs.

Not always - often we've had northerlies and cold air embedded with lows coming through the channel affecting a lot of the southern half of the country with snow. Right now any cold will do me so a northerly will be much better than the last 5/6 weeks

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
2 minutes ago, Shuga ice said:

Hi Shuga

taking this ecm run for a example,that would produce an easterly further down the line if the right conditions would prevail,plus there would be disturbances running down from the north:)

Posted
6 minutes ago, Shuga ice said:

December 2010 was a very similar set-up to what ECM has chosen to offer us this evening.. And believe you me, it was cracking for snow down her in north west Kent..

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Nemesis said:

Not always - often we've had northerlies and cold air embedded with lows coming through the channel affecting a lot of the southern half of the country with snow. Right now any cold will do me so a northerly will be much better than the last 5/6 weeks

Like I said, there are a few exceptions, the winter of January 2010 had a low move down from the north which ended up in the channel giving the south a good dumping, but even then there was a continental feed.  This is what I will be looking for on future runs.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Hi Shuga

taking this ecm run for a example,that would produce an easterly further down the line if the right conditions would prevail,plus there would be disturbances running down from the north:)

I agree with your thoughts and I believe many on here will be looking for a flow from the east on future runs.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Shuga ice said:

Like I said, there are a few exceptions, the winter of January 2010 had a low move down from the north which ended up in the channel giving the south a good dumping, but even then there was a continental feed.  This is what I will be looking for on future runs.

Fair point - don't get me wrong living in Kent and having experience the holy grail on Jan 1987 my heart skips a beat when I see that Scandi High and those easterlies form. I just hope we just get relief from the rain, a cold spell wherever it comes from then a real beast from the east to finish....not too much to ask is it? lol

Latest runs do look good though so fingers crossed 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
25 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

actua fly, we don't need cross model support/coverage......we need it to actually happen in real life and not in the virtual world....just saying :wink:

Id "Personaly" have at least cross model/IF not some output support.

Rather Than the oracale, of one model and ITs ens noting Only to be another false dawn!which Atm....IS that due to far reaching time parameters:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Evening All, The Ecm at day ten shows a Classic wintry spell for the Uk, The North Pole Warms while Britain starts to shiver,,,,,:snowman-emoji:

winter.png

• Like 9

Posted

Let's see what the Ens say, it would be nice for some support, but I'd be surprised. Let's see if the METO outlook changes tonight if there is. 

Either way, busiest spell on this forum this year I reckon....that's good to see.

• Like 1

Posted

Will be interesting to see if this suite takes the ECM ens mean AO as negative as the GEFS and gem have been. So far, it's been around -2 whilst the others have been predicting -3.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Eyes down for the 12z gfs(P)

20:30 start,i think.

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Let's see if we get cross model support before we all get giddy over one ecm output. As we all know it's lead us up the garden path on more than one occasion.  As I still remember that famous ecm.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Given this is at day ten this is a very promising mean ensemble for the ECM:

EDH1-240.thumb.gif.c020148c95ddfeb5e0ad2

Now that is impressive. This is the most impressive 10 day mean yet this winter. Fairly strong support so!

• Like 5

Posted

This ECM mean T240 chart is not a million miles away from the op.

EDH1-240.GIF?03-0

GFS T240 mean would have potential to go the same way

gensnh-21-1-240.png

Not forgetting the GFS op isn't far off the Arctic / Greenland HP link-up too (rather more active Atlantic than ECM op, though)

gfsnh-0-240.png

The chase is on!

• Like 5