Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
10 hours ago, Peter H said:

I can remember snow in the winter of 63/34.

All of the winters in the 1960's were a hell of a lot colder than this one.

That's true then again how many winters have been colder than this, nearly them all! but as I mention before you take out 62-63, the rest of the winters are not that impressive CET wise. 

Last winter's CET was lower than 3 of the winters of the 1960s.  Funny enough last winter was a touch colder than 1963-64 for Northern Ireland! Winters 2009-10 and 2010-11 were colder than every winter of the 1960s barring 62-63.

Which decade had the most winters of  CET 3.0C or less? 1960s or 1990s? 

1990s.

The difference is the lack of very mild winters during the 1960s compare to the 1990s. 

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 3

Posted

I note that The Front - The sequel  is still playing at selected outlets but moving on from that the ecm this morning has a wet and windy Friday in store for the northern half of the UK as fronts associated with the depression in the Denmark Strait  rush through. Hopefully this transition to more westerly regime could bring some quite pleasant weather although at the moment a N/S split seems to be the percentage play.

ecm_mslp_uv850_natl_6.thumb.png.9e39b702

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted

A meteorologist predicts a severe winter, a national newspaper comments on it at the start of December

Mid-March: national newspaper now comments saying the  forecast has gone belly-up, a mild, dreary winter and winter type Synoptics no doubt come in the spring and its 15 years since  a memorable winter.....

Lol, I wish I could post it but the size of images will require a magnifying glass.

Date 1910 and 1911 respectively, the newspaper: the Times.

Does this not sound familiar? 

ROFL!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
13 hours ago, Nick L said:

Reading. Central-Southern England was just completely washed out that year.

Rain_Winter20141.gif

Nothing will beat the misery of that winter.

although stormy and probably the least snowy I can remember, winter 13-14 wasn't that wet in this part of the country.

we had frequent rainy days but the intensity that effected many in the south didn't happen up here and that map sums it up perfectly.

winter 15-16...... Well that's another story.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Well as winter draws to a close it has been the hat-rick of poor winters for most of the UK with the obvious exceptions for Northern UK with elevation but when you look at it is it really much a surprise?. The answer is probably not although the law of averages might have given us(particulary Midlands Southwards)  some better snow events but those dreaded marginal events have always gone the wrong way and given us rain instead of snow with this Weds/Thurs event probably proving yet again if things can go wrong then they probably will for the UK.

It will be interesting to see how end of Feb/start of March pans out and hop that the Met Office are right in their thinking that this may provide us with colder than average weather and thus at least the potential of snow. It would be just typical now that they are wrong 0n this as I think they(IF-many thanks for your great contributions this winter :)) have given a very commendable and accurate forecast so far of this sorry winter. I will be interested to see what March holds for us as if Mr Pennell is correct it looks like the Northern half of the UK including lowland areas may see a bit more of the white stuff. I and the rest of the Southerners will just have to wait till winter 2016/17 when hopefully his bad run of snowless winters will flip to what we had in 2009-2012 when the whole of the UK enjoyed notable snow events that put this and MOD thread into a happy frenzy!!

Just hope we have a nice warm Summer now.   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

If only the whole year had mornings like this. Blue sky,just above freezing so little ice risk and such fresh air,loving it but me thinks it won't be lasting long. Truely dreading the return to summer,that is one season i totally hate. Beyond me why people bang on about loving heat and humidity,it has to be the worst part of the year by far!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
1 minute ago, Hotspur61 said:

Well as winter draws to a close it has been the hat-rick of poor winters for most of the UK with the obvious exceptions for Northern UK with elevation but when you look at it is it really much a surprise?. The answer is probably not although the law of averages might have given us(particulary Midlands Southwards)  some better snow events but those dreaded marginal events have always gone the wrong way and given us rain instead of snow with this Weds/Thurs event probably proving yet again if things can go wrong then they probably will for the UK.

It will be interesting to see how end of Feb/start of March pans out and hop that the Met Office are right in their thinking that this may provide us with colder than average weather and thus at least the potential of snow. It would be just typical now that they are wrong 0n this as I think they(IF-many thanks for your great contributions this winter :)) have given a very commendable and accurate forecast so far of this sorry winter. I will be interested to see what March holds for us as if Mr Pennell is correct it looks like the Northern half of the UK including lowland areas may see a bit more of the white stuff. I and the rest of the Southerners will just have to wait till winter 2016/17 when hopefully his bad run of snowless winters will flip to what we had in 2009-2012 when the whole of the UK enjoyed notable snow events that put this and MOD thread into a happy frenzy!!

Just hope we have a nice warm Summer now.   

Agreed and I'm fully expecting a mild wet winter to finally turn into a cold snowy one, certainly up here just when the onset of lighter nights makes thoughts change to warmer conditions.

that would be the final kick in the teeth for us but more frustrating than that would be if those sensationalist forecasters and national newspapers who print their dross are proved correct, although 3 months late.

one things for sure though, if the late cold spell doesn't show itself then those who predicted day after tomorrow events will not be admitting to getting it completely wrong again and will be back next autumn predicting the next ice age.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

What will stand out this winter is some of the charts we had.....some real views of Narnia from time to time even from the Ops with cross model agreement and within T200 on occasions.... none of them came anywhere near to coming to fruition but at least we had those moments in our hearts for sometimes stretches of upto 36 hours!!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I'm suprised there's no threat of freezing rain on Wednesday from the runs with milder uppers. High pressure and sub-5 850's ahead should create a pool of cold surface air which if we do get the milder uppers i would have thought would lead to a threat of freezing rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves

All rain event wed now on 12z followed swiftly by another one....what an absolute horror fest this winter has become....a total and complete abomination....roll on spring....had enough now.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Wednesday is looking like a particularly vile day for pretty much everyone. 2-5c and heavy rain. Hideous.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

god nick, was just going to post that, started to tell people as from Friday last week that Wednesday is going to be an absolute washout, never mind the 9 named storms, this Wed 17th Feb is going to be MILES worse

and rain is timed completely for the day, 7am-6pm, is there a scientific reason for timing of fronts night/day or is it just luck? because I have noticed washout systems are always timed for the day

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
5 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Wednesday is looking like a particularly vile day for pretty much everyone. 2-5c and heavy rain. Hideous.

Its still better than 10-15c and heavy rain.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

It's like comparing a punch in the face and a kick in the nads.

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

completely disagree, give me 10-15 any day,

it's going to be absolutely horrendous, meto soon to issue rain/flood warnings, and really should be 10th named storm Josh?

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

Nope, it is just as bad except I need to turn the heating on as well. So actually it is worse.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, Captain Shortwave said:

Nope, it is just as bad except I need to turn the heating on as well. So actually it is worse.

I disagree, you have to wear a coat when it rains and its 15c but then I'm way way to hot, a comfortable temperature in a coat is below freezing, 5c is still a bit warm for me.

Posted
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

completely disagree, give me 10-15 any day,

it's going to be absolutely horrendous, meto soon to issue rain/flood warnings, and really should be 10th named storm Josh?

I think it's Jake, but it's not particularly windy so I doubt it will be named.

Posted
Just now, Nick L said:

I think it's Jake, but it's not particularly windy so I doubt it will be named.

is it true nick they name them alternate male/female? sure I have noticed this

Posted
Just now, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

is it true nick they name them alternate male/female? sure I have noticed this

Yep...

600x300-name-our-storms-names.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Nick L said:

Yep...

600x300-name-our-storms-names.jpg

U, Ugbagbor? used to play scrabble with guy named that? Xavier, yolanda and Zach?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
4 hours ago, chicken soup said:

All rain efinished wed now on 12z followed swiftly  by another one....what an absolute horror fest this winter has become....a total and complete abomination....roll on spring....had enough now.

Not according to the Countryside forecast,midweek still uncertain

Presnter said could be rain or snow,still uncertainty 

Not bothered either way,my snow chase has finished for another

Season

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

nope.... warmth over cold anyday, unless its a driving blizzard forget it, and wednesday as nick says looks utterly foul. at least warm rain wont cost us money heating, and pollute the planet by heating.

• Like 1