Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
59 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Ay, get rid of 'like' system, it's silly

Those who have grievances with well there's a reason for that is there? :nonono: 

If it was removed I feel some 'high ranking' members would have less an incentive to post. We show our appreciation through likes without cluttering threads with off topic cr@p & when folk like Tamara, fergieweather ect gain many they deserve them thoroughly and must feel somewhat satisfied and it keeps them posting knowing their input is valued, not in a smug way, although I can't speak for all. I do think knocker for instance deserves more likes however he does not show what the masses like to see, well...

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

If it was removed I feel some 'high ranking' members would have less an incentive to post. We show our appreciation through likes without cluttering threads with off topic cr@p & when folk like Tamara, fergieweather ect gain many they deserve them thoroughly and must feel somewhat satisfied and it keeps them posting knowing the input is the valued, not in a smug way, although I can't speak for all. I do think knocker for instance deserves more likes however he does not show what the masses like to see, well...

Well, I find this interesting for at least a couple of reasons...

Interesting indeed.

Edited by weather09

Posted
8 minutes ago, weather09 said:

Well, I find this interesting for a least a couple of reasons...

Interesting indeed.

Care to elaborate..

Tarring everyone with same brush is unfair. Likes correlate well with depth of knowledge, they are not meant to be thrown out like bird seed - of course you cannot control who likes what.

Negative it boosts egos to the point they think they're better than everyone else...which honestly I have not seen much of have you? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Steve murr likeometer is in full swing in the MOD:clap::yahoo:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

A hush now, a lul on the model thread, almost a deathly silence while there is a wait to see if there is support amongst the ensembles for a decent cold spell, then guaranteed if there is then all hell will break loose again:yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

A hush now, a lul on the model thread, almost a deathly silence while there is a wait to see if there is support amongst the ensembles for a decent cold spell, then guaranteed if there is then all hell will break loose again:yahoo:

LOL I just had to like your post:whistling::laugh:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
On Monday, December 07, 2015 at 8:00 PM, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Typical 'winter' nowadays, too reliant on a SSW, that may not even happen, even if it does, it dosen't guarantee us a winter, usual massive strawclutch of nowadays

still waiting for 2013-2014's SSW/cold, and still waiting for last years

LOL

Bet you will be in this thread Moa

On Friday, December 18, 2015 at 7:27 AM, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

ECM1-216.GIF?18-12gfs-0-228.png?0

Er, I think ECM has had a wobbly! certainly expecting GFS to be closer obviously

Ggggggg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
59 minutes ago, booferking said:

Niceeeeeeee.

gensnh-15-1-312.png

Ignore the garbbage above dont know what happened there.

Anyway zoom in on yhe chunk of PV over Scandi,looks like a human

Face,mouth wide open"saying WTF am i doing letting the Uk have a

Northerly"

C.S

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, cheshire snow said:

Ignore the garbbage above dont know what happened there.

Anyway zoom in on yhe chunk of PV over Scandi,looks like a human

Face,mouth wide open"saying WTF am i doing letting the Uk have a

Northerly"

C.S

Haha sure does a nice cold looking face at that to.:cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 hour ago, Karl. said:

The Steve murr likeometer is in full swing in the MOD:clap::yahoo:

And...

here is my themometer if nowt goes to plan:rofl:

bursting_thermometer_greeting_card-r52ba

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

I turned the ping sound off for notifications so it can be done. On the subject of likes I don't see the point of them on anything, a modern affectation that means nothing,

I also just went outside to put something in the wheelie bin and could actually see my breath, it felt like a minor victory in a winter so devoid of cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

By 'eck you can tell it's been a mind numbing winter when people are debating at length the vagaries of the 'like' system :rofl:

• Like 2

Posted

I feel the cold snap forecast for the next few days is pretty much nailed on although looking at the GFS this morning and other outputs last night the likelihood of any significant snowfall appears minimal. The GFS has the low running though the channel on Saturday bringing rain to southern parts although I suspect this still could still give a sprinkling on higher ground. Thereafter perhaps the east and north east most likely with convection off the North Sea. By midweek a weak frontal system edges west which could well bring some transient snow as it meets the cold air but as that's six days away a watching brief is the best bet as a fair bit of detail vi the evolution has yet to be finalised.

gfs_ptype_slp_uk2_11.thumb.png.ab078684agfs_ptype_slp_uk2_28.thumb.png.daf3ca31c

Posted

This morning's anomalies would appear to indicate the end of the cold snap from around the middle of next week.  Although not in complete agreement, the GEFS has ridging over Scandinavia, they do agree on the trough to the NW, weak cut off trough Portugal and HP pushing up from the SW. This results in a W/NW flow with temps around average and perhaps some not too bad weather.

The ext period sees some extensive pattern changes upstream with a strong Aleutian trough and once again ridging eastern North America into Pole. This amplification leads to much flatter pattern downstream with zonality once again the buzz word although certainly not trough dominated. Temps around average possible a little above.

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.thumb.png.39cf6d5gefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.thumb.png.bcd3cdab1bgefs_z500a_5d_nh_61.thumb.png.8e39219f3b

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
12 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Ironically though the people wanting rid are the ones using it!!!!,  big misconception going on here is that cold and snow lovers are here to build up massive rep points and people only vote for posts predicting cold , for a start off the most balanced poster of all has the best likes per post rating and that's Ian Fergusson, and he has only been a member since the return to mild winters. I can tell you now, If the old system was back (neg rep as well), I couldn't care less if I had a reputation of -20000 if I was sitting with a foot of snow outside my house, also I wish you could still see who was voting so when someone answers a query I make (particularly but not exclusively on the strat thread) I don't have to clog up the thread with a thank you afterwards because the poster can see who +1ed them.

i agree and disagree with you on this.

because its not black and white, some people 'like' a post because they think its a well constructed informative post (which is why it should be liked) but others 'like' a post because it contains things they want to hear.

classic case was the other year, gibby posted one of his daily , in depth, unbiased, great posts and only got 2 likes, when another post that was basically was a cold ramp (which didnt verify) got 35.  that goes on all the time.  its clear some post to have their ego massaged, one member even had a name change which was either taking the p out of his followers , or the act of an egomaniac.

frosty/karl who is popular all year round says he doesnt post for 'likes', and i dont think any serious poster like fergie, john, gibby, and many more could care less about the rating system.

so i ask.... whats the point?

edit.... no need to go back years - just view this mornings posts. gibby 1 'like' , a post saying 'its cold' (basically) gets 14.

now many might say 'so what, does it matter'?.. and thats a valid point, but surely it highlights the uselessness of the rating system.

Edited by mushymanrob
  • Like 4

Posted

I'm confused, I could have sworn Nick made a request for the discussion on likes to stop in here (since it's way off topic), and for people to use the feedback forum to bring it up if they want to. Perhaps a more pertinent discussion to bring up in there would be how some members just think they can post whatever they want, in whatever topic they want regardless, as I think that's way more disruptive than likes on posts at times....

Regardless though, can we bring this back to the topic at hand - winter moans, ramps, chat and banter. 

• Like 9

Posted
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

Mushy that was a very well constructed post, thanks:)

• Like 2

Posted

the noaa charts dont support much of a high pressure dominated spell, they keep the mean upper flow backing from northwest (6-10 day) to more westerly (8-14 day) , whilst theres scope on the 6-10 day chart for some high pressure influence and ridging to our northeast, theres no sign on those charts of a large anticyclonic block to our eastern half.

they do however keep a strong azores high in place.  so currently im not thinking the runs suggesting something of a major block to our east (other then short lived) , of course the noaa charts are not correct all the time, but have a better track record then the ops at this time frame.

cold.gif

cold2.gif

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

the noaa charts dont support much of a high pressure dominated spell, they keep the mean upper flow backing from northwest (6-10 day) to more westerly (8-14 day) , whilst theres scope on the 6-10 day chart for some high pressure influence and ridging to our northeast, theres no sign on those charts of a large anticyclonic block to our eastern half.

they do however keep a strong azores high in place.  so currently im not thinking the runs suggesting something of a major block to our east (other then short lived) , of course the noaa charts are not correct all the time, but have a better track record then the ops at this time frame.

cold.gif

cold2.gif

A good realistic post mushy, I would have posted this in the MOD..:)

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Karl. said:

A good realistic post mushy, I would have posted this in the MOD..:)

cheers :)

no point, it would just get swallowed up in the snow searchers mania! lol

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, mushymanrob said:

cheers :)

no point, it would just get swallowed up in the snow searchers mania! lol

True but it's a very sensible post grounded in realism and not narnia fantasy...nice one Rob..unusual for me to be so agreeable with you in winter but I respect your input:)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

As much as everybody is chasing snow at the moment the most notable thing here in Yorkshire (away from the east coast) looks to how dry things look with only a weak looking low next Wednesday really threatening to produce precipitation.

Just hope this easterly produces sunshine in similar quantities to today and yesterday. Really nice afternoons.

On the whole the models get a thumbs up from me.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

I've gotta feeling that tonight's gonna be a good night. The models look like picking up a new signal for next week shown by the GFS and to a lesser extent the ECM today!

Even the MO outlook has a colder feel to it. :cold:

• Like 1