Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Well several in the MDT seem to be getting rather exited about the prospects of snow Fri-Sat, but a few hours of wet, sleety flakes just doesn't cut it for me, especially with absolutely zero chance of it hanging around away from higher elevations. I'd feel very differently if it was now approaching mid Dec, but it's approaching mid Feb and the time of year were near perfect synoptics are required to deliver a notable wintry spell...what's currently in prospect for Fri-Sat is a long way from fitting that description imo. Roll on spring.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, jethro said:

Yup. In our spare time we loiter on Radio 4, Mushy with his disguise of Chris Beardshaw, me with my Sarah Raven alias. We come on here to chat and moan about the impact the weather's having on the garden and ramp upthe promise of spring because we're sick of being up to our knees in mud.

tell me about it.... im currently trying to re-landscape my garden to make it easier to maintain in my old age, my soils like gloop... and our little doggies are tracking it in the house...

mind you its a much nicer day today, well its dry (here) and much less windy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
22 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

tell me about it.... im currently trying to re-landscape my garden to make it easier to maintain in my old age, my soils like gloop... and our little doggies are tracking it in the house...

mind you its a much nicer day today, well its dry (here) and much less windy.

I'm currently designing a courtyard garden for work after lots of building works converting the stables. Sat at the kitchen table, nice and warm, watching the snow falling. Beats paddling!

Don't know what it's like around you but down here it's cheaper to buy real stone slabs from the reclamation yard than buy repo ones from the likes of Bradstone, if you're after paving, check first.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

All looks dry here in West Yorkshire. Fronts too far south and then dry straight northerlies.

I'm just hoping for sun.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, jethro said:

I'm currently designing a courtyard garden for work after lots of building works converting the stables. Sat at the kitchen table, nice and warm, watching the snow falling. Beats paddling!

Don't know what it's like around you but down here it's cheaper to buy real stone slabs from the reclamation yard than buy repo ones from the likes of Bradstone, if you're after paving, check first.

im more extending my lawn into what was a wildlife meadow, but the trees n bushes have grown in the last 30 years so im putting a lawn down the middle (narrowish garden but long) instead of a paved path , moved wildflowers to where the path was and am tackling the bushes/trees.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, coldcomfort said:

Well several in the MDT seem to be getting rather exited about the prospects of snow Fri-Sat, but a few hours of wet, sleety flakes just doesn't cut it for me, especially with absolutely zero chance of it hanging around away from higher elevations. I'd feel very differently if it was now approaching mid Dec, but it's approaching mid Feb and the time of year were near perfect synoptics are required to deliver a notable wintry spell...what's currently in prospect for Fri-Sat is a long way from fitting that description imo. Roll on spring.

One musn't forget one of these would probably initiate mild hysteria.

16269370-Snowglobe-with-snowman-Stock-Ve

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Some posts have been hidden to save more drama.. Let's get back to friendly chat in here.

Thanks.

Posted

So with all the talk of wintry upgrades in the space of a day the BBC and MetO have removed most if not all precipitation from my local. :rofl:

Posted
4 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

lol.. i quite agree with you, broadly speaking of course and with the caveat that it applies to seasonal winter fans only...

If the winter forum was just populated with the 'ever so serious' and  'i'm totally impartial' types it would be as quiet and boring as it is in the summer months.  Then again I'm sure you can't wait  !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

There's still the possibility of sleet/snow for SE' England at the weekend according to the Met

Office!      :cold:         

"Mainly fine Thursday with some sunshine. Conditions are relatively uncertain from Friday, however a trend to wetter and windier weather seems likely, perhaps culminating in some sleet and snow."                                                                   

Posted
2 hours ago, cobbett said:

If the winter forum was just populated with the 'ever so serious' and  'i'm totally impartial' types it would be as quiet and boring as it is in the summer months.  Then again I'm sure you can't wait  !

its not boring, its not a playground. its great to have realism and not fantasy chasing.

• Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

its not boring, its not a playground. its great to have realism and not fantasy chasing.

Yes boring was incorrect  but it's the "I know better than you " attitude so don't bother posting that gets irritating. So much easier to skip a post than make snidey remarks. whats wrong with fantasy chasing anyway - same thing happens in summer looking for that long awaited heatwave but suppose that's not on either 

• Like 3

Posted

Interesting 6-10 ecm anomaly this evening. Low pressure running east from the Canadian vortex acting as a conduit to a trough running south from the North Sea to North Africa, At the same time we have high pressure pushing north to the west and strong ridging in eastern Europe. It doesn't take a great imagination to see systems running west around the HP before turning SE around about the UK into northern Europe. Perfect scenario to drag some colder air over the UK and a possible significant snow event. Well that's the theory. Of course if the depressions dip SE at a point too far west that tends to become academic.

It has to be said that in the ext period this possibility vanishes as the trough retreats to the north west and a unsettled westerly returns although the south should fayre not too badly.

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_natl_11.thumb.png.121fc

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, knocker said:

Interesting 6-10 ecm anomaly this evening. Low pressure running east from the Canadian vortex acting as a conduit to a trough running south from the North Sea to North Africa, At the same time we have high pressure pushing north to the west and strong ridging in eastern Europe. It doesn't take a great imagination to see systems running west around the HP before turning SE around about the UK into northern Europe. Perfect scenario to drag some colder air over the UK and a possible significant snow event. Well that's the theory. Of course if the depressions dip SE at a point too far west that tends to become academic.

It has to be said that in the ext period this possibility vanishes as the trough retreats to the north west and a unsettled westerly returns although the the south fayre not too badly.

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_natl_11.thumb.png.121fc

Looking at that chart you wouldn't think proper Northern blocking would be out of the question down the line but as you say, the suites of ensembles advertise a return to westerlies afterwards and no real teleconnective support for blocking either although another atlantic ridge around day 15 isn't completely out the question.

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Looking at that chart you wouldn't think proper Northern blocking would be out of the question down the line but as you say, the suites of ensembles advertise a return to westerlies afterwards and no real teleconnective support for blocking either although another atlantic ridge around day 15 isn't completely out the question.

Perhaps not but really no evidence for this as yet with the GEFS, ecm or NOAA anomalies.

Posted
11 minutes ago, knocker said:

Thank god for that............it's sorted. These leaks from the MOD thread really need to be plugged.

snow.thumb.jpg.47316b9972730ce276e5b87df

even though the chances were very very small it's now guaranteed it won't snow anywhere but the Scottish mountains :-)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Three inches makes headline news? The Express really is scraping the barrel.

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
14 hours ago, Karl. said:

As for the almost complete lack of frost, ice and snow this winter..don't get me started!!:diablo::D

I think I could handle the weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks of monotonous autumnal weather, if when the synoptic pattern eventually changes, the weather changes too. The January 'no'-therly gave me more rain instead of a severe frost that was forecast by 'Dougal' within 24 hours. There has been a long wait for sliders then there are three in as many days, but none of them seem to be even close to 50:50 snow-wise. In which case, I will accept that as long as that clears the way for some frosts, but I am fully expecting rain again.

Edited by The Enforcer
  • Like 1

Posted

The situation regarding if, when, where will it snow in the south west quadrant of the UK, and the NE, is still not resolved and probably wont be until the day. Meanwhile of the three systems the GFS is running Friday-Sunday it has the last as the most likely to give a sprinkling. Having said that it does seem likely to be confined to small amounts and mainly on the higher ground.

gfs_ptype_slp_uk2_12.thumb.png.9bc03c719gfs_ptype_slp_uk2_15.thumb.png.26e7da3c4gfs_ptype_slp_uk2_18.thumb.png.cd359b80f

Posted

Daily fail have a point though,3 " of snow would seem catastrophic compared to last 3 winters,including this poor excuse of one:)

Posted

Wettest winters on record for England and Wales

455.5 2014

423.0 1915

420.9 1990

415.6 1995

388.3 1994

380.6 1869

374.3 1960

373.5 1916

363.0 1966

362.0 1937

340.0 1977

337.7 1912

335.2 1979

~334 2016

Scotland

604.5 2014

595.4 1995

~587 2016

Northern Ireland

452.2 1994

412.7 1995

407.7 1984

390.1 2007

~379 2016

• Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, cobbett said:

Yes boring was incorrect  but it's the "I know better than you " attitude so don't bother posting that gets irritating. So much easier to skip a post than make snidey remarks. whats wrong with fantasy chasing anyway - same thing happens in summer looking for that long awaited heatwave but suppose that's not on either 

eh? are you seriously suggesting theres NO 'i know better then you' attitude in winter?

fantasy chasing is pointless, i see no merit at all in getting all wound up about some fantasy chart because it nearly always leads to disappointment. its childish imho.

numbers on here in winter make it more intollerable, its ten times worse then in summer.

• Like 1