Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather...heavy snow and heat waves
6 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

who forecast that,james madden i bet lol,say it enough times and he get one month correct lol

No...who the hell is JM ??? ( don't answer that he too much air time)

Posted

So where do we go after this week is sorted which may well take a couple of days to sort out the fine detail? Well the 5-10 anomalies are in pretty fair agreement, With the cold trough over the eastern N. America, HP pushing up in mid Atlantic and the negatively tilted trough Iceland down through the UK into Europe with the upper flow veering NW. Ergo the depressions bringing unsettled weather have a tendency to swan SE thus bringing the colder air further south and perhaps increasing the chances of snow at lower levels although the chances of this remain quite slim with the air in general not really in the cold zone.

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.thumb.png.dbfe8cfgefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.thumb.png.d49059c56c610day.03.thumb.gif.838511c98fdd2914f46a

In the ext period there is a divergence of opinion. The ecm and NOAA are on the same page with less amplification upstream, less influence from the Atlantic HP and  the trough still the major player over the UK with the wind backing to nearer westerly. Still unsettled but perhaps less wintry. The GEFS on the other hand still rends towards some amplification upstream and weakens the UK trough and although the flow is still zonal westerly the HP is perhaps more influential than the other two

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_61.thumb.png.3551190bfb814day.03.thumb.gif.39d574646fc77f0aa26d

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
37 minutes ago, knocker said:

Such a tease that GFS

gfs_ptype_slp_uk2_17.thumb.png.cb096c05e

UK fax not a million miles away from that.

fax96s.gif?0

Sidney should be free from the white stuff though being that far south Knocker.:D

• Like 1

Posted

Looking increasingly like a rain event in the south on Friday/Saturday according to the gospel of the GFS and METO but small adjustments could still bring about further consideration. The jet seems to have nudged a tad further south/

gfs_ptype_slp_eur2_15.thumb.png.1513e204PPVM89.thumb.gif.460d6f46378fd535dbbe681gfs_ptype_slp_eur2_19.thumb.png.409a2820

gfs_uv250_eu_19.thumb.png.b1335af84bb180

Edited by knocker

Posted

Grim stats

Wettest winters on record for England and Wales

455.5 2014

423.0 1915

420.9 1990

415.6 1995

388.3 1994

380.6 1869

374.3 1960

373.5 1916

363.0 1966

362.0 1937

340.0 1977

337.7 1912

335.2 1979

332.6 1923

331.9 2001

331.7 1883

330.6 1834

330.4 1925

330.2 1930

329.4 1910

~329 2016

Scotland

604.5 2014

595.4 1995

~583 2016

Northern Ireland

452.2 1994

412.7 1995

407.7 1984

390.1 2007

376.8 1958

~ 373 2016

Posted
7 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Anyone know of a good squirrel recipe?.....

Sidney is quite partial to a little malt loaf. And onwards.................

ECMWF-parallel continues to light up model-skill scoreboard. NH 5-day height (500-mb) verification

veri.thumb.jpg.877ff159f788cbaed2361fc18

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
13 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

trouble is we all know dry weather downgrades out of FI

49mm of rain over the past 30 days here, so certainly not wet by anyone's standards. Outlook for here looks dry too - a few showers today, then no rain in the forecast at all, out to the 18th. Looks reasonably sunny too. No complaints from me. 

On another note, anyone notice the cherry blossoms beginning to bloom? Also, the daffs are coming up. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
7 minutes ago, cheese said:

49mm of rain over the past 30 days here, so certainly not wet by anyone's standards. Outlook for here looks dry too - a few showers today, then no rain in the forecast at all, out to the 18th. Looks reasonably sunny too. No complaints from me. 

On another note, anyone notice the cherry blossoms beginning to bloom? Also, the daffs are coming up. 

blossom on trees since chrimbo...daffs have been and gone here..unless they are going to be messiah like and produce a second coming?

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I did see some blossoming trees in December but they were apparently winter bloomers anyway. The ones I see now are the much larger, spring-blooming variety. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

The cherries that are flowering are winter flowering ones, they bloom anytime between December - February. They won't be the spring flowering ones influenced by mild weather to bloom early, they require much warmer weather than we've had.

• Like 1

Posted

I have a few daffs, some crocuses and snowdrops out. At this time usually the only thing flowering would be the snowdrops.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
34 minutes ago, jethro said:

The cherries that are flowering are winter flowering ones, they bloom anytime between December - February. They won't be the spring flowering ones influenced by mild weather to bloom early, they require much warmer weather than we've had.

interestingly, i went on a road trip to suffolk on saturday (family history stuff) the blackthorn (sloe) are out in bloom from derby to suffolk. normally its early april. very early this year.

Posted
4 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

interestingly, i went on a road trip to suffolk on saturday (family history stuff) the blackthorn (sloe) are out in bloom from derby to suffolk. normally its early april. very early this year.

They are here too although it's usually early to mid March around these parts. Saw something last week which I genuinely don't think I've ever seen....the Hawthorn hedges are breaking into leaf already. It's one of those things I always look for, I love the intense green after the gloom of winter and it usually signifys that spring is just around the corner. Mid to the end of March is normal time, I've never seen it in February, let alone the first week of February.

Posted
30 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

I have a few daffs, some crocuses and snowdrops out. At this time usually the only thing flowering would be the snowdrops.

My snowdrops are out too. They've been flowering for at least three weeks now, usual time for them to reliably be out is Valentines day. Dafs are well ahead but Tulips are behind, Roses are about normal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
16 minutes ago, jethro said:

They are here too although it's usually early to mid March around these parts. Saw something last week which I genuinely don't think I've ever seen....the Hawthorn hedges are breaking into leaf already. It's one of those things I always look for, I love the intense green after the gloom of winter and it usually signifys that spring is just around the corner. Mid to the end of March is normal time, I've never seen it in February, let alone the first week of February.

yes the hawthorn has been breaking here since december (odd spots only) its like it never stopped much. privet is greening up too, ive buds breaking now (i guess theyll be stopped by cold soon) .

mid march is the earliest here for blackthorn, but its usually later.

yep, i love spring most, the fresh vivid colours on hawthorn, the fresh growth that seems to scent the air. springtime air always seems fresher then musty old autumn air.

Posted
2 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

yes the hawthorn has been breaking here since december (odd spots only) its like it never stopped much. privet is greening up too, ive buds breaking now (i guess theyll be stopped by cold soon) .

mid march is the earliest here for blackthorn, but its usually later.

yep, i love spring most, the fresh vivid colours on hawthorn, the fresh growth that seems to scent the air. springtime air always seems fresher then musty old autumn air.

I love spring too, full of so much promise of the glories to come. Personal preference for THE best time of year would have to be mid to late May. The cold has gone, days are warming up nicely without the intensity of summer heat and the flower borders are starting to brim over with lush new growth, Alliums flowering, Roses beginning to burst open, the Wisteria wafting a heady fragrance over the garden and Delphinium spikes shooting up. Fast forward me to May please.

Oh and the bleeding grass hasn't stopped growing all through the winter. It's far too wet to cut but it certainly needs it, it's very scruffy at the moment. As for Moss.....don't get me started...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
18 minutes ago, jethro said:

As for Moss.....don't get me started...

As for the almost complete lack of frost, ice and snow this winter..don't get me started!!:diablo::D

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, Karl. said:

As for the almost complete lack of frost, ice and snow this winter..don't get me started!!:diablo::D

Lol. You kind of get used to that living in the SW but even here we can expect frost or at the very least, reliably cold temperatures - not this year though. Ground temperature needs to be 5c or below to stop grass growing, two frosts ( one of -7c) hasn't cooled the earth down anywhere near enough.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

A lot of my potted flowers which usually die and then sleep for the winter have actually flowered again. Only other time i recall this happening was the winter of 14. 

Posted
20 minutes ago, Law of averages!! said:

As Gardeners question time, as moved from the radio… to this forum :cc_confused:

Yup. In our spare time we loiter on Radio 4, Mushy with his disguise of Chris Beardshaw, me with my Sarah Raven alias. We come on here to chat and moan about the impact the weather's having on the garden and ramp up the promise of spring because we're sick of being up to our knees in mud.

• Like 3