Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted

I truly wonder which part of Aberdeen you live Richard, official figure for Aberdeen today=5h and for 6th, certainly nil for 1, 3 , 4 and 5th  Odd so much difference!

vile, repulsive are odd words for what is after all just the weather. If you lived in the places so badly affected by flood water I could understand it but to describe it for no sun, and a bit of drizzle. touch OTT perhaps?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Well what's your location? NW England? if so it sounds like it could be dianne oxberry or Eno Equator

Somerset,  we had  a good helping of the rubbish two years ago ,that;s why my heart goes out to them. We were left to get on with it for the first couple of months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Typical 'winter' nowadays, too reliant on a SSW, that may not even happen, even if it does, it dosen't guarantee us a winter, usual massive strawclutch of nowadays

still waiting for 2013-2014's SSW/cold, and still waiting for last years

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Richard2901 said:

Absolutely vile day. 4th sunless day of the month and the most repulsive of them all. Drizzly filth with barely any daylight. 9.7C now and rising. Yet again the disgusting wind that never lets up is rattling away preparing to give me a third sleepless night in less than a week.

Never felt so hacked off and disinterested in the weather. This is just total garbage. The worst first week of winter since 2002 and no end in sight. Just day after day of soul-destroying dross :wallbash:

Do you think you should find another hobby Richard? Weather clearly doesn't do it for you. And as for the wind, if the current 30-50mph wind gusts are causing you issues then God help you in a proper storm. That's nothing for Scotland. Never causes us sleeping issues down here. 

Then the soul destroying dross? I recommend going to the cinema, playing sport or something. Take your mind off what is pretty average stuff for December (I'm talking about cloud/drizzle).

Merry Christmas! 

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I think Richard must have slept all day Sunday. Up this way it was cool, not too windy and quite sunny. Compared to what some people were suffering it was practically heavenly. 

I'll admit the rest of the month has been less than exciting but we've had a tiny fraction of the rain elsewhere has had. Not sloshing around in you living room with water up to your knees has its advantages. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

Insanely mild today. In short's and T shirt at work,pleasant as well in the morning with some sunshine. 

At this rate,Knocker's dafs will have been and gone by new year.

Cant see much hope in the output tbh,straw clutching for the next few weeks by the look's of things.

45 years old and never seen a white xmas:( maybe next year:rofl:

Posted
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Typical 'winter' nowadays, too reliant on a SSW, that may not even happen, even if it does, it dosen't guarantee us a winter, usual massive strawclutch of nowadays

still waiting for 2013-2014's SSW/cold, and still waiting for last years

You do not need a SSW to have snow on the ground!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
3 hours ago, Richard2901 said:

Absolutely vile day. 4th sunless day of the month and the most repulsive of them all. Drizzly filth with barely any daylight. 9.7C now and rising. Yet again the disgusting wind that never lets up is rattling away preparing to give me a third sleepless night in less than a week.

Never felt so hacked off and disinterested in the weather. This is just total garbage. The worst first week of winter since 2002 and no end in sight. Just day after day of soul-destroying dross :wallbash:

Tbh mate there is so many more important things in life to worry about....yes it's dull wet and mild certainly not exciting winter weather but let's just ☺ and carry on it can only get better

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

1. Well this wouldn't be the first UK winter with a very mild start.

2. Model output verification is always low beyond a week out, so the lack of any sustained polar maritime or polar continental flows in the mid to long range forecasts should not be taken to represent a definitive position moving forward.

3. Even if December does end up being dominated by mild westerly sourced air, this would then be completely in tune with the NetWeather Winter Forecast.

4. Anyone fearing a repeat of Winter 1997/98 should note that, in complete contrast to the current conditions, the first half of December 1997 was benign - the very mild temperatures followed.

• Like 2

Posted
48 minutes ago, Costa Del Fal said:

Do you think you should find another hobby Richard? Weather clearly doesn't do it for you. And as for the wind, if the current 30-50mph wind gusts are causing you issues then God help you in a proper storm. That's nothing for Scotland. Never causes us sleeping issues down here. 

Then the soul destroying dross? I recommend going to the cinema, playing sport or something. Take your mind off what is pretty average stuff for December (I'm talking about cloud/drizzle).

Merry Christmas! 

It's not average stuff it's the worst December weather since 2002. Not even 2013 was this bad. It was over 60mph last week which is about as strong ever gets and the rattling certainly kept me awake for several hours.

My other hobbies are photography and walking which are both weather dependent. Absolutely nothing worth photographing at this time of year except frost, snow and sunrise/sunsets none of which look like happening. Was hoping to take a trip to Edinburgh at the weekend to see the Christmas lights but what a surprise the rainband is being modelled to be further and further north so probably a washout on the cards. Really getting hacked off with this incessant unsettled weather.

• Like 1

Posted
43 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

I think Richard must have slept all day Sunday. Up this way it was cool, not too windy and quite sunny. Compared to what some people were suffering it was practically heavenly. 

I'll admit the rest of the month has been less than exciting but we've had a tiny fraction of the rain elsewhere has had. Not sloshing around in you living room with water up to your knees has its advantages. 

Haven't seen any sun here all month and can't remember the last time there was light winds. I was in Glasgow on Sunday and there was a bit of sun but it was raining on the way back when I stopped at Castle Cary. Lots of flooded fields and surface water down there which is why a dry spell is needed urgently.

Edited by Richard2901
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, The Enforcer said:

2. Model output verification is always low beyond a week out, so the lack of any sustained polar maritime or polar continental flows in the mid to long range forecasts should not be taken to represent a definitive position moving forward.

3. Even if December does end up being dominated by mild westerly sourced air, this would then be completely in tune with the NetWeather Winter Forecast.

4. Anyone fearing a repeat of Winter 1997/98 should note that, in complete contrast to the current conditions, the first half of December 1997 was benign - the very mild temperatures followed.

Very true. I think it's also fair to say that no two winters have ever been identical; one might even suggest that each winter is as unique as each snowflake?:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
17 minutes ago, Richard2901 said:

It's not average stuff it's the worst December weather since 2002. Not even 2013 was this bad. It was over 60mph last week which is about as strong ever gets and the rattling certainly kept me awake for several hours.

My other hobbies are photography and walking which are both weather dependent. Absolutely nothing worth photographing at this time of year except frost, snow and sunrise/sunsets none of which look like happening. Was hoping to take a trip to Edinburgh at the weekend to see the Christmas lights but what a surprise the rainband is being modelled to be further and further north so probably a washout on the cards. Really getting hacked off with this incessant unsettled weather.

60 mph plus is strong though tonight certainly isn't too bad. Do you have double glazing? 

In terms of photography how about capturing nature by which I mean birds, squirrels, marine life if possible etc. Flora and fauna exists all year round in some shape or form. There's more to our world than just the weather. I see loads on my daily walk. Saw a couple of robins too today. :) 

Edited by Costa Del Fal
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
31 minutes ago, Richard2901 said:

Haven't seen any sun here all month and can't remember the last time there was light winds. I was in Glasgow on Sunday and there was a bit of sun but it was raining on the way back when I stopped at Castle Cary. Lots of flooded fields and surface water down there which is why a dry spell is needed urgently.

You really were unlucky then. Just checked the weather station data for Dyce and it recorded nearly 6hrs of sunshine on Sunday. That's pretty much dawn to dusk at this time of the year. Temp sat around 5.5-6.5C during daylight hours but felt much colder in the breeze (it wasn't calm, but not windy either, around 9kts or 16km/hr) . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
17 hours ago, Costa Del Fal said:

I've just walked the dog in a t shirt and shorts. Extremely pleasant conditions. Obviously this in July would be cool but at this time of year, not at all.

Very mild again this morning...also some scarily mild charts showing up on the latest GFS run as we head towards Christmas..maybe record breaking if it happens..also something I have found quite remarkable is the harmony of daytime temperatures throughout the year..away from the SE most days maybe 95% have been between 10-20c all year long..no cold and no heat.

Posted
10 hours ago, The Enforcer said:

97/98 was good here, remember a snowy day on Wed 17th Dec '97, after a cold spell, and very heavy snow on 5th Jan '98, good coverings both days, typical 90's winter, they were mostly all snowy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
On 07/12/2015 at 9:25 AM, Hocus Pocus said:

I think at this moment in time a lot of us will be looking for something that's drier with the hunt for cold and snow being put on the back burner, as we've far more pressing concerns to contend with for now. I'm not saying that's what you're looking for Mushy of course.

well tbh even im getting a little tired of this rut we are in. i absolutely loved yesterdays weather, 15c in bright sun, light winds, it was a joy to be outside...

even though im no liker of colder weather, i do think its something we have to endure - it makes the spring even more sweet.

i note that my comments yesterday were premature - again, i was kinda hoping the anomaly charts would start to firm up on something more blocked over scandinavia, but yesterdays tentetive hints were not built on and the latest runs just suggest more of the same - broadly a westerly upper flow which is likely to take us upto (and beyond?) the crimbo period.

so going off the noaa anomaly charts - no sign of pattern change in the next 2 weeks or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Model thread is all over the place - everything from "no sign of cold into the New Year" to "northerly and lying snow in 10 days' time", and that's just today's posts.  Models are evidently confused and not showing consistent output, and, as usual, the mild rampers are cherry-picking the charts which show our air mass being sourced from somewhere off the coast of Brazil, while the cold rampers are doing the same with outputs showing it coming from the North Pole!:rofl:

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Very mild again this morning...also some scarily mild charts showing up on the latest GFS run as we head towards Christmas..maybe record breaking if it happens..also something I have found quite remarkable is the harmony of daytime temperatures throughout the year..away from the SE most days maybe 95% have been between 10-20c all year long..no cold and no heat.

We've had 56 days above 20C here so slightly more than 15% of days this year were above 20C. We had 1 in April, 0 in May, 13 in June, 17 in July, 23 in August and 2 in September. June and August were both around normal, July and September were very disappointing. May was astonishingly bad. Getting 20C in April and October isn't guaranteed every year, but in May it certainly is.. until this year.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Just  posted this in the Scottish thread;

Well here goes  I predict  proper winter will arrive just before Christmas with a fair bit of snow and frost. How do I know this I have just seen Highland Council burning diesel in an empty gritter/snowplough going round the local  side roads.  Probably showing new driver round the route but could have done it in a van. Have they had a  warning issued from sources we do not see? Most unusual behaviour. Are they preparing for the holiday period with relief drivers?

Edited 1 hour ago by Northernlights

Of course I could be totally wrong but with all the councils cutting back was strange to see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.
2 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Just  posted this in the Scottish thread;

Well here goes  I predict  proper winter will arrive just before Christmas with a fair bit of snow and frost. How do I know this I have just seen Highland Council burning diesel in an empty gritter/snowplough going round the local  side roads.  Probably showing new driver round the route but could have done it in a van. Have they had a  warning issued from sources we do not see? Most unusual behaviour. Are they preparing for the holiday period with relief drivers?

Edited 1 hour ago by Northernlights

Of course I could be totally wrong but with all the councils cutting back was strange to see.

I'm adding this to the Squirrels and Nuts theory lol.... All I will say is that we aren't too far off of 2009 territory if you're looking for "signs"....

Posted

15 hours ago, Richard2901 said:

Count yourself lucky in November 

November 2015 Sunshine ActualNovember 2015 Sunshine 1981 - 2010 anomalyNovember 2015 Rainfall 1981 - 2010 anomaly

• Like 4

Posted
49 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Err, ECM and GFS , think we all know which one will be closer, I go for ECM by a mile

ECM is also prone to howlers in FI. I think it's more a case of "what is the more likely scenario". And without any strat warming etc. the most likely scenario is not a cold one...

Posted
Just now, radiohead said:

ECM is also prone to howlers in FI. I think it's more a case of "what is the more likely scenario". And without any strat warming etc. the most likely scenario is not a cold one...

Yes it has had shocker FI charts, but not many lately, been a bit more realistic