Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
1 minute ago, knocker said:

Does the weather show much change is the question? The point is cs if you have a pretty static upper air pattern, and it's the upper air which drives the surface, then the only change you get will be with the every day synoptics within that pattern which is why the interest in the det. runs. Anyway if you want change just pop into the other thread and you can chase shortwaves around the N. Atlantic and watch the MJO shoot off the chart.

Yep whether you agree or not the anomalies for me are one of the best forecasting tools  and as a whole have proven to be right this winter  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Meanwhile 18z gfs at t144 still modeling the freeze across the pond

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=144&mode=1&carte=1

I wonder if we will see those headlines from over there again.

"Polar Vortex visits the USA."

Edited by phil nw.

Posted
4 minutes ago, knocker said:

Not according to Sidney it will be warm and sunny. Sorted.

squirrel-in-ball-2_watermarked.jpg?w=800

You know, they will come to you willingly, you don't need to trap them.

Posted
7 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

You know, they will come to you willingly, you don't need to trap them.

I know. The other morning I said nuts to one whilst fishing in my bag and the little bugger ran straight up my leg. I was relieved when he passed go.

Meanwhile

Edited by knocker

Posted
4 minutes ago, knocker said:

I know. The other morning I said nuts to one whilst fishing in my bag and the little bugger ran straight up my leg. I was relieved when he passed go.

Were his long dead relatives at Bastogne?

Posted
2 hours ago, Summer of 95 said:

I used up all my towels during 13-14 and 14-15. 

Oh what a surprise it's 9C and raining again. Defences of the UK climate always used to centre on its variety, its unpredictability, its ability to give four seasons in one day....

Which is why one season in a year (the one involving westerly winds, clouds, rain and temps of 6-16C) and the only variety and unpredictability being will today's rain start am or pm, absolutely sucks like a supercharged Dyson.

Anyone remember those legendary creatures called "Anticyclones"? Or a wind that blew from the east? Been more chance of finding a unicorn sniffing around the bins as they blow across the garden for the 200th time this "winter".....

As a keen walker and cyclist I can assure you that Britain has 4 seasons. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

When the banter & moans thread becomes hot topic...

article-2544552-1AE6CAEC00000578-196_634

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
1 hour ago, knocker said:

The cold plunge in N. America

-48C :shok:

gfs_t2min_c_conus2_31.thumb.png.3e180234

It's astonishing. Contrast it with the record warmth in upstate NY just a month ago. Strange days indeed, as a man once said.

Posted

Nothing much new to report this morning (the inclement weather over this weekend will no doubt be adequately covered elsewhere) so a quick look at the NH anomalies. that highlight three things.

The cold trough over eastern N.America. The ridges over the west of N. America and NE Europe with warm air advecting into the polar region. And why we continue to receive very unsettled weather.

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_33.thumb.png.4c5aca1097gefs_t2ma_5d_nh_33.thumb.png.263404ae3ed

Oh and the lower strat

gefs_z50a_nh_31.thumb.png.1a31b35edf59e3

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
12 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

wanna swap locations then? then you'll know what crap is! I'ii settle for your 'crap'

youre quite close actually...

9 hours ago, knocker said:

Does the weather show much change is the question? The point is cs if you have a pretty static upper air pattern, and it's the upper air which drives the surface, then the only change you get will be with the every day synoptics within that pattern which is why the interest in the det. runs. Anyway if you want change just pop into the other thread and you can chase shortwaves around the N. Atlantic and watch the MJO shoot off the chart.

yep, couldnt agree more. look to the ops for the detail ( at short range ) , but the flavour of the pattern will be shown in the anomaly charts. i believe it would be very unusual for the ops to pick up on a pattern change before the upper air pattern would 'allow' for it. i dont view the ops much now, except for detail when theres something interesting happening, the anomalies accurately predict the overall general pattern)

the upper air flow remains in the west (broadly), we keep the mobile, unsettled regime, and next weeks looking cooler and wetter as atlantic systems cross the uk square on (as opposed to taking a more northerly track, recently  ).

so more wind and rain for the foreseeable, less mild, more cool/cold)

Edited by mushymanrob
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Even more annoying is America an China couldn't give a toss about global warming, yet they still get all the best winters and doozy snow storms :nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono:

• Like 4

Posted
25 minutes ago, Minus 10 said:

Even more annoying is America an China couldn't give a toss about global warming, yet they still get all the best winters and doozy snow storms :nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono:

China is also a contintenal climate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
9 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

China is also a contintenal climate.

I know that, what's your point?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

Don't watch the weather for the week ahead on BBC. Too depressing. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Big snow event for me only 5 days out

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
1 hour ago, Minus 10 said:

That's why they don't give a toss.

they've always had hot summers and cold winters, droughts and floods so in their mind, nothing within the climate is changing so why try and mend something that isn't broken.

at least that's my completely unscientific view although the cheap fuel they enjoy at the pumps tends to cloud perception as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
6 minutes ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

Big snow event for me only 5 days out

Can I have some or is it reserved for you lot even further oop norf than I am:nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, iand61 said:

That's why they don't give a toss.

they've always had hot summers and cold winters, droughts and floods so in their mind, nothing within the climate is changing so why try and mend something that isn't broken.

at least that's my completely unscientific view although the cheap fuel they enjoy at the pumps tends to cloud perception as well.

Precisely. The desire to drive their 6l behemoths around trumps (no pun intended) any motivation to stop churning out pollutants. Measures to limit global warming are an inconvenience to some so let's just ignore it. Or, better still, deny it's even happening so reality doesn't burst their pretty little bubbles :wallbash: