Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
9 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I have to say, I'm starting to look forward to the first pleasantly warm and sunny spring day now. The fat lady is beginning to warm up her throat regarding this abomination of a winter. It's not been much better than 13/14, frankly.

Agreed, what a shocker..just glad it's almost over..in my opinion it's even worse than last winter and It's got to the point where I'm no longer eagerly anticipating winter anymore because at least 95 percent of it is Atlantic driven dross!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
22 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

No sign at all of that unfortunately.  PV rock solid our side of the globe. 

I reckon we'll get a cold and wet Spring. Pretty much a continuation of the semi permanent Autumn we now get.

Thats my biggest fear,the pattern seems so entrenched there basically is no light at the end of the tunnel. This pattern has become more repeated over the last 2 decades,things have changed climate wise and this country in its specific location that effects will become more unpleasant over the next 20 to 30 years. Gone are the hot summers and cold winters,replaced by shorter snaps of both types of extreme coupled with this endless muck that just fills our days at the moment. Not a happy time to come me thinks.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Karl. said:

Agreed, what a shocker..just glad it's almost over..in my opinion it's even worse than last winter and It's got to the point where I'm no longer eagerly anticipating winter anymore because at least 95 percent of it is Atlantic driven dross!

Me too frosty.

Part of the fun is watching exciting model output and discussion but its just no fun when your chasing a rainbow day after day, my enthusiasm is reducing , your absolutely right, i used to love the winter when i was a kid in the 70's and 80's, im glad i have my memories of heavy powdery snow showers falling on frozen ground, frankly, its becoming rarer and rarer.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Wouldn't be surprised if March turns out similar to 2008, essentially cold wet and stormy with wintry incursions at times. If that leads on to May 2008 I won't be complaining, provided it doesn't lead on to summer 2008 lol.

Posted
On 01/02/2016 at 9:17 PM, Thunderbolt_ said:

At least if anything, I can pleasure myself in knowing that I have had the privilege of experiencing this wonderful winter. :)

It's your opinion but I very much disagree.

2nd wettest November on record followed by the wettest December and wettest ever month followed by the 5th wettest ever January on record. That has been the last 3 months for our region. Not wonderful, horrific is the word I would used. Yes it has been exceptionally mild but we have paid for it dearly with ridiculous rainfall totals. 

I would have enjoyed this winter even if we still had the same sort of temperatures but far more high pressure and much drier. 

Instead it has been a washout and the last 3 months have been the wettest ever and we are rapidly closing on the wettest ever winter.

A wonderful winter? Maybe if you have gills or you are make croaking sounds or you a wading bird.......

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 6

Posted

Well i think its time to give up on this 'winter' now.

Im hopeful next winter wont be as horrendous as this one,or the one before but one thing i will look for in Oct/Nov is the strength of the PV over the Pole and the METO winter forecast.

To me, and this is no slight at anyone else, everything else is meaningless.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
5 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

It's your opinion but I very much disagree.

2nd wettest November on record followed by the wettest December and wettest ever month followed by the 5th wettest ever January on record. That has been the last 3 months for our region. Not wonderful, horrific is the word I would used. Yes it has been exceptionally mild but we have paid for it dearly with ridiculous rainfall totals. 

I would have enjoyed this winter even if we still had the same sort of temperatures but far more high pressure and much drier. 

Instead it has been a washout and the last 3 months have been the wettest ever and we are rapidly closing on the wettest ever winter.

A wonderful winter? Maybe if you have gills or you are make croaking sounds or you a wading bird.......

Leave him to it lol.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
15 hours ago, jethro said:

That surprises me (not doubting you) but according to the info in the link I posted, the snow 2nd-4th April 2000 was fairly widespread.

tbh, after watching the vid posted by weather-history, so am i! 

i was under contract at the time, so would have made every effort to stick to the agreed schedule. it wasnt easter break so i couldnt have skived off unseen. as it was the first visit of the new season (april-march) id have all winters growth and debris to clear up.

maybe we missed the snow on the 4th, and had just rain or sleet, im sure if i was snowed off id have recorded it (i note very wet, hot, cold, snowy days - but i dont keep daily weather records) - or put my daily earnings in brackets (which indicates thats what i earned off the contract but didnt actually work that day - to be made up later).

Posted
23 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

yes i missed 87-8 in april, thats 3.

ok, i see what you are saying about late snow after a relatively mild winter with little snow and there being a notable snowfall in spring - thats a fair point however id suggest that ratio is similar to winters where there has been greater snow events. 

hmm... i do take you point on this though, but as you say theres no idea of how long these late snow events lasted, and i was always referring to a 'decent spell ' of 72 hours or more, as in a winters spell. im possibly guilty of lazy posting and not clarifying fully what im on about.  thats why i referred to 2013 earlier - that was a decent wintry spell after an unremarkable winter. it was a widespread spell that lasted, which im sure we will all agree is a rare event!

Yeah agreed, It may well be more common following a colder/snowy winter, I was just trying to say it wasn't rare following mild winters.
and of course what falls is less likely to last as long on the ground, with March 2013 indeed being a rare event. I don't know how many of them were long lasting, just listed as significant snow having fallen

1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

No sign at all of that unfortunately.  PV rock solid our side of the globe. 

I reckon we'll get a cold and wet Spring. Pretty much a continuation of the semi permanent Autumn we now get.

One can hope it goes the way of the cold 2nd half/end to winter, won't be getting my hopes up though.

44 minutes ago, markyo said:

Thats my biggest fear,the pattern seems so entrenched there basically is no light at the end of the tunnel. This pattern has become more repeated over the last 2 decades,things have changed climate wise and this country in its specific location that effects will become more unpleasant over the next 20 to 30 years. Gone are the hot summers and cold winters,replaced by shorter snaps of both types of extreme coupled with this endless muck that just fills our days at the moment. Not a happy time to come me thinks.

Summer 2013/14 weren't bad at all, nor winters 2009/10, 2010/11 and 2012/13. Hopefully it is just a rut/cluster of bad winters and things will change at some point.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
9 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

Yeah agreed, It may well be more common following a colder/snowy winter, I was just trying to say it wasn't rare following mild winters.
and of course what falls is less likely to last as long on the ground, with March 2013 indeed being a rare event. I don't know how many of them were long lasting, just listed as significant snow having fallen

One can hope it goes the way of the cold 2nd half/end to winter, won't be getting my hopes up though.

Summer 2013/14 weren't bad at all, nor winters 2009/10, 2010/11 and 2012/13. Hopefully it is just a rut/cluster of bad winters and things will change at some point.

The pattern is just not only in the uk,extreme weather events are coming more of a issue,the pattern of weather has changed,imo this is not any rut,something we must get used to.

Posted
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

Well i think its time to give up on this 'winter' now.

Im hopeful next winter wont be as horrendous as this one,or the one before but one thing i will look for in Oct/Nov is the strength of the PV over the Pole and the METO winter forecast.

To me, and this is no slight at anyone else, everything else is meaningless.

Well next Winter is heading towards solar minimum, EQBO phase and likely La Nino. 

Ordinarily therefore you would expect a colder than average Winter but no doubt this will all be over ridden by something else.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
2 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Well next Winter is heading towards solar minimum, EQBO phase and likely La Nino. 

Ordinarily therefore you would expect a colder than average Winter but no doubt this will all be over ridden by something else.

Winter 06 was dry, cold, frosty and sunny but unremarkable from a CET point of view.

Winter 12 was a horror show until early Feb.  

Well it appears that the near ritual flogging of the dead horse in the MDT might even be coming to an end following the overnight runs, with even the normal 'positive thinking non towel chuckers, rather conspicuous by their absence. I must admit I chucked mine back in mid Jan, but I was sneakily hoping the old reverse psychology might kick in and give us two or three decent blasts across the 2nd half of extended autumn, but as it stands with only 23 full days left to run even one blast looks pretty much out of the question now. RIP winter 15/16, you have been a miserable bar steward and you will no doubt go down in the annuls of history as the winter that never was.

Edited by coldcomfort
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 6:29 PM, vizzy2004 said:

Who would of thought at our latitude 3 snow-less winters was a possibility, and Im not even talking about the South, many towns/city in the north of England haven't seen lying snow since Jan 2013, this is quite exceptional. Its inevitable that this snow drought will end soon either this winter or by the next one but I suppose when it does occur it will be a rather special event, more so than usual. Hopefully the wait will be worth it. 

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 9:23 PM, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

not for you oop norf I don't think

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 6:29 PM, vizzy2004 said:

Who would of thought at our latitude 3 snow-less winters was a possibility, and Im not even talking about the South, many towns/city in the north of England haven't seen lying snow since Jan 2013, this is quite exceptional. Its inevitable that this snow drought will end soon either this winter or by the next one but I suppose when it does occur it will be a rather special event, more so than usual. Hopefully the wait will be worth it. 

Just a picture for you lot in snow starved Blighty. Woke up to 30cm of fresh overnight snowfall. Hope you all get some relief soon from your wind swept miserable effort of a so called winter. Very mild also over here in lowland Central Europe but plenty of snowfall at elevation ( 1000m plus )

C

12640472_10153301642377536_1840320792265996522_o.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow
44 minutes ago, cobbett said:

2020 is my guess as to the next decent winter 

image.gif

2020! -   I think we'll all have ended up like this by then! :wallbash::D:sorry:

stock-photo-a-close-up-cropped-portrait-

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a metre of lying snow

'Tis ironic really about the snow starved UK when you consider that here in coastal Norway ( just across the North Sea and south of Bergen and on a smallish island to boot) we're just finishing our 3rd or maybe fourth lot of snow. My missus just loves waking up to "Narnia" on the occasion of overnight snow - it's not so much fun clearing the !!!!!!! stuff! We normally get 1 or 2 coverings, so this year we've had a 50% or 100%  bonus already.

Is anyone keeping tabs on the Far East weather ( Vietnam ,Laos and Taiwan) where they've had snow for the first time in donkeys years or ever? And what about Turkey, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia? It's remarkable that snow has been recorded at less than 20 degrees N but not in lowland Britain.

"Oh to be in Blighty when snow is falling in what seems to be the rest of the World!"

P.s I did spend 2 weeks tending bar!

Edited by Norway Nut
Afterthought!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Just watched a pleasant young lady on the t.v telling me that I am going to have yet another crap weekend. Don't know if it's my imagination, but I swear they almost look pleased about it sometimes.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

Just watched a pleasant young lady on the t.v telling me that I am going to have yet another crap weekend. Don't know if it's my imagination, but I swear they almost look pleased about it sometimes.

It's definately not your imagination. I've seen the same thing many times. The temptation then is to to either a) put my foot through the television and send them the bill...or b) go round to where said forecaster is broadcasting from...then throw a bucket of water at them, whilst having an almost pleased look on my face.

Edited by Carl46Wrexham
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

seriously?.... (tv presenters having the audacity to smile whilst delivering the weather outlook).

• Like 5

Posted
4 hours ago, carinthian said:

Just a picture for you lot in snow starved Blighty. Woke up to 30cm of fresh overnight snowfall. Hope you all get some relief soon from your wind swept miserable effort of a so called winter. Very mild also over here in lowland Central Europe but plenty of snowfall at elevation ( 1000m plus )

C

12640472_10153301642377536_1840320792265996522_o.jpg

take no notice Paul is a wind up merchant, its Cheshire, his homeland, in 1963!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow
1 hour ago, 78/79 said:

It's not them,it's the BBC's bias towards mild weather.

Lost count of the amount of times our local presenter has presented a forecast giving heavy rain,howling gales,prepare for structal damage,but ends with a big smile on his face saying,"at least it will be mild"

Heaven forbid we might have a touch of frost,run to the hills,run for your lives.

Seems that flooding,storm force winds and power cuts are preferred to a bit of grass frost.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
9 minutes ago, cornish snow said:

Lost count of the amount of times our local presenter has presented a forecast giving heavy rain,howling gales,prepare for structal damage,but ends with a big smile on his face saying,"at least it will be mild"

Heaven forbid we might have a touch of frost,run to the hills,run for your lives.

Seems that flooding,storm force winds and power cuts are preferred to a bit of grass frost.

I can't say I have ever seen that myself. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
15 minutes ago, cornish snow said:

Absolutely does my swede in that does. Certain forecasters are worse than others for it. Any snowy weather (don't laugh) and the lips turn downwards slightly, a hint of a frown, and words like unfortunately...treacherous...come out. Stormy wet weather on the other hand...at least it's mild...hint of smile.

I am convinced Darren (mild loving, needs to take a step closer to the razor of a morning) Bett spent the winters of his childhood being pelted by snowballs.

Edited by Carl46Wrexham
  • Like 3