Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
3 hours ago, SLEETY said:

KL, and about 6c above average in czech ,crazy this euro high lasted since november ,why cant we ever get a scandi high to last 3 months,never happens !

We do, but in Spring or Summer!:wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
23 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Let's go the full distance and move to the other side of the Atlantic.

that said though if we were 3000 miles west and the same latitude we'd be in the Canadian tundra with polar bears for company.

it just shows how damn moderating the Atlantic and particularly the Gulf Stream actually is but without them I think it's safe to say the this country and north west Europe in general would not have developed as they did.

:rofl: That would do it.

Posted
24 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Let's go the full distance and move to the other side of the Atlantic.

that said though if we were 3000 miles west and the same latitude we'd be in the Canadian tundra with polar bears for company.

it just shows how damn moderating the Atlantic and particularly the Gulf Stream actually is but without them I think it's safe to say the this country and north west Europe in general would not have developed as they did.

You could say that about any country! People, place, topography, culture, and climate are all interlinked and shouldn't be wished away. 

Posted

Sidney started sniffing the coffee

bfdf34c935a85a1580b62dd65b4a16e2.jpg

After glancing at this chart

814analog.off.thumb.gif.1a773a3a338399aa

But then he saw the NOAA

814day.03.thumb.gif.e60d5c56c223271812df

And breathed a sigh of..............

dfe884905beb1caa5876b9d157f83847.jpg

I didn't like to show him the ext ecm

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I have to say, I'm not sharing the optimism that some are showing in the MOD! We're still looking at another 10 days or so of very limited wintry weather for the southern half of the UK. By that point we're running out of winter.

• Like 1

Posted

Very rarely venture into this thread as it is usually reserved for moaning and pessimism, I must comment on many posts in the model thread today - oh dear lots of despondency and I'm none too sure why - I suspect given the lack of cold and snow for some (southern parts) many are bemoaning the models because they are not showing a channel low or an easterly etc, northerly/northwesterly airstreams tend to favour the north more for snow and cold, but they certainly mean cold for all and not the awful SW wet airstreams or silly mild southerly pulses we have become accustomed to during much of this winter.

I am growing very fed up with this winter for lots of reasons, namely how it is even worse so far than the abysmal winter of 13/14 - though we have seen more snow than that one it has to be said, but the lack of sunshine, endless wet cloudy weather since late October has been woeful. We need a long dose of dry settled weather.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: deep snow/warm sunshine

This winter so far I can say us here have only seen four frosts and that's being generous! At least last year we had enough frosts to muck around on a big frozen field puddle over the festive period but this year has been so        exceptionally mild we have barely had any ice at all. My daughter was definitely spoilt being born in 07 as she had seen snow here every year after her birth up until early 13, now it's gone totally the other way. I do hope this isn't the end for decent winters for the uk. I was spoilt as a child growing up in the 80's and have been obsessed with 6ft snow drifts and mega easterlies ever since. I do hope she doesn't have to wait another twenty years for some snowy fun again!

• Like 1

Posted

Its actually worse then last winter for ice and snow.

I never thought i'd be able to say that again after last years horror show.

Some will argue its cyclical but im not buying it,something has changed drastically, the summers are dominated by troughs as the Greenland blocking forces the jet south, and winters are dominated by the Atlantic as the Greenland PV powers up the jet .

A disasterous combo for those wanting warm dry summers and cold blocked winters.

I fear/wonder if snow is becoming so rare all we will have soon is memories..

• Like 4

Posted

Don't understand the ' global warming ' thinking… thing of the past etc… there was a 25yr plus pattern, were we hardly had any SNOW… yet since 2007 we've had more on the trot, excluding the last few yrs… than I can remember!! The pattern as changed and it'll change again, that there is no doubt!! Before 2007, I remember some scientist, saying snow could be a thing of the past?? What an idiot… even a relative of mine moved to a part of shaw oldham that's at the foot of the pennines… which is at high level and I mentioned they'd pay for it, when it SNOWED?? he said we don't get like snow/winters like we used too… lmao… its patterns, not global warming peeps… haven't the far east just had some of the snowiest/coldest weather in over 50/60yrs… if I've had to wait that long, then I'm worried… just a thought

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The depression over the weather in this thread does make me laugh!

It just doesn't bother me! I'll do the shopping in the wind and rain. I go sea fishing in the wind and rain. I go to work in the wind and rain. I'll do all of that in the cold and snow as well..
I think many people are becoming depressive because of technology, the ability to look at charts/forecasts on the internet, even coming on forums and reading other people's depressive comments.

I  bump in to pensioners at the doctors regularly, it'll be peeing down with rain and blowing a hoolie and you'll get "Ooohh Margret, didn't it rain hard last night? - Corfe river flooded again etc" They never moan or groan, they just get on with their day-to-day lives. In all seriousness, I was contemplating writing a book on the weather in a technological modern world, I'd have a field day getting quotes from this thread haha

I genuinely feel for those who have been affected by flooding, it is a horrid experience. On the other hand,  i've personally been enjoying this Winter- the same as i would if it were cold & snowy!

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

Some will argue its cyclical but im not buying it,something has changed drastically, the summers are dominated by troughs as the Greenland blocking forces the jet south, and winters are dominated by the Atlantic as the Greenland PV powers up the jet .

A disasterous combo for those wanting warm dry summers and cold blocked winters.

Alrighty then, tis your opinion and as good as the next man's/woman's but I personally think that's a rather bold statement......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales
11 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

The depression over the weather in this thread does make me laugh!

It just doesn't bother me! I'll do the shopping in the wind and rain. I go sea fishing in the wind and rain. I go to work in the wind and rain. I'll do all of that in the cold and snow as well..
I think many people are becoming depressive because of technology, the ability to look at charts/forecasts on the internet, even coming on forums and reading other people's depressive comments.

I  bump in to pensioners at the doctors regularly, it'll be peeing down with rain and blowing a hoolie and you'll get "Ooohh Margret, didn't it rain hard last night? - Corfe river flooded again etc" They never moan or groan, they just get on with their day-to-day lives. In all seriousness, I was contemplating writing a book on the weather in a technological modern world, I'd have a field day getting quotes from this thread haha

I genuinely feel for those who have been affected by flooding, it is a horrid experience. On the other hand,  i've personally been enjoying this Winter- the same as i would if it were cold & snowy!

Just because your not bothered by endless rain, wind, cloud, doesn't mean other people shouldnt be, everyone i know is absolutely sick of the endless wet, windy and sunless weather, isn't it scientifically proven that that sort of weather gets you down a bit? i dont think its because of technology at all imo.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

"Everybody I know" Usually misused. We're talking what.. 20 people? 

Well its hardly healthy to be depressed over the lack of a certain weather type, is it? Unless you are one of the unlucky that has been subjected to flooding, then you definitely have something to moan about.

The 20 people bit wasn't derogatory btw. I meant it as in real life folk, not the 400 Facebook friends that some people have and don't even know lol

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales
12 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

"Everybody I know" Usually misused. We're talking what.. 20 people? 

Well its hardly healthy to be depressed over the lack of a certain weather type, is it? Unless you are one of the unlucky that has been subjected to flooding, then you definitely have something to moan about.

The 20 people bit wasn't derogatory btw. I meant it as in real life folk, not the 400 Facebook friends that some people have and don't even know lol

Well yea but i'm not depressed over it, but i'd be happier with more sun and i'm sure they would be too, we've had about 20 hours of sun all winter fgs.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

I agree just a bit of snow a couple of weeks back doesn't cut the mustard for how short our days are and long nights as far north as the UK, even those are noticeably drawing out now with the evenings a bit lighter. It's as though someone is flicking a switch or something to prevent us getting anything seasonal in Winter or Summer! It's perpetual Autumn all year round these days especially here in the North-West. Since 2006 2013 was pretty much the only year that had both a decent Winter and Summer. Here's some great snow from days gone by around Saddleworth and West Yorks. First pic was Jan 1947 in Diggle. My dad used to talk a lot about 1947 & how bad it was, he grew up in Denshaw.

56ad6c5dccd93_saddleworthsnow.thumb.jpg.56ad6c8a1a1f4_holmemoss.thumb.jpg.685866

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
1 hour ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

Just because your not bothered by endless rain, wind, cloud, doesn't mean other people shouldnt be, everyone i know is absolutely sick of the endless wet, windy and sunless weather, isn't it scientifically proven that that sort of weather gets you down a bit? i dont think its because of technology at all imo.

The one type of weather that affects me badly is high winds, everything else and I can be on an even keel but high winds make me very tense, partly a physical reaction with the excess noise, vibration and such but also mentally with the chance of destruction. Noise generally, in fact, is an issue whether from roadworks, traffic and so on so it's the result of the weather not the weather itself that is the problem.

So stormy weather really does make me feel much less happier than something calm and I get the impression that recent winters have become a lot worse, there appear to be very few of the calm (either cold or warm) weeks that we would expect to get.

• Like 1

Posted

Not surprising the GFS is a continuation of the very unsettled weather this morning with some very wet and windy spells and alternating shots of Pm, rPm andTm air before settling down a tad in the latter stages of the run.

In the immediate future two areas that require closer attention. First Monday/Tuesday when the depression skirting Scotland will bring winds gusting 70kts to that area and then next Saturday when two depressions pay us quite close attention bringing with them some very wet and windy conditions and probably some copious snowfall in the north.

gfs_ptype_slp_eur2_9.thumb.png.32d0203e2gfs_ptype_slp_eur3_25.thumb.png.ef47d73fgfs_ptype_slp_eur3_28.thumb.png.f903f773

gfs_uv200_atl_27.thumb.png.8a3d8d67abeb3

Regarding the storm Monday night the ecm is giving gusts in the 80kt region.

ecmwf_z500_mslp_eu_3.thumb.png.788f12c0d

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

If there is an image that sums up this winter so far it is this one!:D:diablo:

mud man_1450472850997_17317_ver1.0.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
7 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I agree just a bit of snow a couple of weeks back doesn't cut the mustard for how short our days are and long nights as far north as the UK, even those are noticeably drawing out now with the evenings a bit lighter. It's as though someone is flicking a switch or something to prevent us getting anything seasonal in Winter or Summer! It's perpetual Autumn all year round these days especially here in the North-West. Since 2006 2013 was pretty much the only year that had both a decent Winter and Summer. Here's some great snow from days gone by around Saddleworth and West Yorks. First pic was Jan 1947 in Diggle. My dad used to talk a lot about 1947 & how bad it was, he grew up in Denshaw.

56ad6c5dccd93_saddleworthsnow.thumb.jpg.56ad6c8a1a1f4_holmemoss.thumb.jpg.685866

agreed F H, the seasons in this part of the country seem to have all merged into one with snow now a rare visitor in winter as is heat in summer.

but it's a national thread and many in Scotland have probably seen plenty of snow over recent winters and those down south who have a pretty well guaranteed chance of a heatwave or two in the summer can't understand what all of the fuss is about.

maybe our luck will change soon but I can understand anyone getting sick to the back teeth after enduring months of constant cloud and rain and this is from someone who hasn't been affected by the horrors of flooding.

brilliant pictures by the way and it shows that we can get the goods if conditions are right....it's just a shame that they never seem to be.

Saddleworth is a lovely part of the country.

• Like 2

Posted

No change in the outlook for the next fourteen days. The ecm 5-10 has a very familiar look and the 10-15 has the Alaskan ridging over the Pole and a deep cold trough down the eastern half of North America and the trough over the UK sinking a little further south. With heights rising in the western Atlantic the upper flow veers NW so the cooler Pm air will encroach further south than previously was the case.

Not good on the whole.

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.thumb.png.8739c0e

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, knocker said:

Phew! Just had brief foray into the other thread. Quite exhilarating.

You're a very naughty boy Knocker!

• Like 1

Posted

The pics FH posted, superb… my dad told me about winters past, were they had to deliver coal, milk etc thru the bedroom window lol… and the roads blocked going up grains road to delph, denshaw etc… it will happen again!! Just might not be in life time

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
55 minutes ago, Law of averages!! said:

The pics FH posted, superb… my dad told me about winters past, were they had to deliver coal, milk etc thru the bedroom window lol… and the roads blocked going up grains road to delph, denshaw etc… it will happen again!! Just might not be in life time

If you want to read up on some of the past Winters we have an historic weather section on the forum here

https://forum.netweather.tv/forum/40-historic-weather/?page=1

as you will see there are several pages including topics on past cold Winters.

Well worth a look!

• Like 2