Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

This boring, depressing apology for a winter reminds me of watching my Jack Russell chase it's tail, he almost grabs it  but it always just eludes him.  We certainly get the worst of both worlds in this country, wet mild winters , and cool wet summers. It wont be long now before you will see all the garden centres  with their outdoor furniture and bbqs on display at exorbitant prices trying to lure some poor sod into spending a fortune on stuff that's going to sit in the  shed all summer. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Having read Steve M's post in Model discussion, it seems that lady is clearing her throat for another winter

The north have had something to cheer, but the way things are going, apart from the odd year (2010)

North with altitude = some snow chances during winter

Low ground, the further south you go, the chances decrease

What the heck happened to Channel Lows?

Heck it's hard to get an air frost across the south, during the winter now

I remember them, gale force easterly winds, that dragged cold air from europe, and brought some

snow cheer to the south, especially for hills & moors

These days it's storm after storm that always seem to track to the north-west of Scotland

The same places get blasted over and over, whilst other area's wonder what all the fuss is about

Gertrude brought a day of horrible drizzle, and slightly gusty winds around here

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, stevofunnelcl said:

Having read Steve M's post in Model discussion, it seems that lady is clearing her throat for another winter

The north have had something to cheer, but the way things are going, apart from the odd year (2010)

North with altitude = some snow chances during winter

Low ground, the further south you go, the chances decrease

What the heck happened to Channel Lows?

Heck it's hard to get an air frost across the south, during the winter now

I remember them, gale force easterly winds, that dragged cold air from europe, and brought some

snow cheer to the south, especially for hills & moors

These days it's storm after storm that always seem to track to the north-west of Scotland

The same places get blasted over and over, whilst other area's wonder what all the fuss is about

Gertrude brought a day of horrible drizzle, and slightly gusty winds around here

Yes agreed. What has happened to Channel Lows?

Winter 78/79 brought a couple i think. Some of the early 80s 'classic' Winters did as well.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Surely next winter will bring a nationwide cold spell, hasn't been one since march 2013!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves

I think its time we faced up to the fact that global warming is genuinely happening and we are starting to see its results, three truly diabolical winters in a row...and now staring down the barrel of the mildest winter on record....soon be at the point were we may as well scrap winter and summer and have one long autumn a one long spring.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

I just wish the UK was a couple of 100 miles further north, then we wouldn't need a moan thread for winter (unless you hated snow that is!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

What's struck me this winter is how many very mild days we've had (10c+). Up to 13-14c tomorrow again which is incredible for January from a historical perspective, but pretty unremarkable in the context of this winter. It would be interesting to know how many 10c+ daytime maxes we've had since Dec 1st.

Posted
20 minutes ago, chicken soup said:

I think its time we faced up to the fact that global warming is genuinely happening and we are starting to see its results, three truly diabolical winters in a row...and now staring down the barrel of the mildest winter on record....soon be at the point were we may as well scrap winter and summer and have one long autumn a one long spring.

Manchester Winter Index for last winter was in the 80s, that value is higher than most winters in that 1988-2008 period.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, Gustywind said:

What's struck me this winter is how many very mild days we've had (10c+). Up to 13-14c tomorrow again which is incredible for January from a historical perspective, but pretty unremarkable in the context of this winter. It would be interesting to know how many 10c+ daytime maxes we've had since Dec 1st.

13C on monday as well, then double figures again on Thurs 4th

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
11 minutes ago, Minus 10 said:

I just wish the UK was a couple of 100 miles further north, then we wouldn't need a moan thread for winter (unless you hated snow that is!)

We're far enough north but a couple of hundred miles further east would certainly help.

either that or drain the Atlantic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, iand61 said:

We're far enough north but a couple of hundred miles further east would certainly help.

somehow pave over the Atlantic, and move us 300 miles north and east

Posted
22 minutes ago, chicken soup said:

It is called global warming for a reason you cannot take UK in isolation last week a subtropical island, Amani Island observed its first snowfall for first time in 115 years & sleet in Okinawa for first time ever. Much of East Asia and parts of Southeast Asia experienced record cold temperatures this is a huge landmass. I think we're getting more extremes, I would hold your horses about this winter it's not over yet. 

• Like 1

Posted

I don't want to sound like a pointless optimist, but what we're experiencing now is probably nothing more than a temporary pattern in terms of seasonal variability. It seems that season types usually come in clusters and we have simply been in a bad one (for cold and snow fans) since 2013. The same goes for Summer. A more seasonal Summer and or Winter will crop up eventually and there may even be more than one at a time. Going back to Winter 2012/13 it closely followed three other recent cold Winters (excluding Winter 2011/12 which delivered only briefly locally but was much colder on the continent) and was obviously the last in that particular cluster. There was also a fairly good run (more so than others) of pleasant to hot Summers in the 00s pre 2007. Then there was also a run of rather damp and coolish Summers from then till 2012 followed by a decent enough Summer in 2013 and a more mixed one (which had a hot spell) in 2014. This rut were in as far as Winter is concerned won't last forever and sooner or later I'm fairly sure we will break out of it. There was much talk in the 00s of how global warming scuppered cold Winters forever but the late 00s to early 10s proved otherwise. After all the coldest December since 1890 (120 years before 2010) and the coldest March since 1962 (51 years before 2013) would have been laughed at by some as fantasy before they in fact happened. And being as 2013 was only 3 years ago (which is nothing) I don't believe climate has suddenly shifted in that time to the point of no return. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers
7 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Manchester Winter Index for last winter was in the 80s, that value is higher than most winters in that 1988-2008 period.

2014-15 had quite a few PM blasts if I remember correctly, so wasn't too bad the further north you went, but it was pretty much pants south of the Midlands. My locale had a brief couple of coverings but that was it. Better than this year and 2013-14, but still very disappointing from a long term historical context. 

Posted
1 minute ago, iand61 said:

What if we were a few hundred miles further west? Less chance of any modification of polar maritime air coming in around lows? More chance of getting that very cold airmass with less modification coming off the Labrador area of Canada? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Gustywind said:

2014-15 had quite a few PM blasts if I remember correctly, so wasn't too bad the further north you went, but it was pretty much pants south of the Midlands. My locale had a brief couple of coverings but that was it. Better than this year and 2013-14, but still very disappointing from a long term historical context. 

We had a few days of consecutive snow cover in Jan 2015, can't complain about that.

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

I don't want to sound like a pointless optimist, but what we're experiencing now is probably nothing more than a temporary pattern in terms of seasonal variability. It seems that season types usually come in clusters and we have simply been in a bad one (for cold and snow fans) since 2013. The same goes for Summer. A more seasonal Summer and or Winter will crop up eventually and there may even be more than one at a time. Going back to Winter 2012/13 it closely followed three other recent cold Winters (excluding Winter 2011/12 which delivered only briefly locally but was much colder on the continent) and was obviously the last in that particular cluster. There was also a fairly good run (more so than others) of pleasant to hot Summers in the 00s pre 2007. Then there was also a run of rather damp and coolish Summers from then till 2012 followed by a decent enough Summer in 2013 and a more mixed one (which had a hot spell) in 2014. This rut were in as far as Winter is concerned won't last forever and sooner or later I'm fairly sure we will break out of it. There was much talk in the 00s of how global warming scuppered cold Winters forever but the late 00s to early 10s proved otherwise. After all the coldest December since 1890 (120 years before 2010) and the coldest March since 1962 (51 years before 2013) would have been laughed at by some as fantasy before they in fact happened. And being as 2013 was only 3 years ago (which is nothing) I don't believe climate has suddenly shifted in that time to the point of no return. 

Agreed. That 'point of no return' conclusion was also parroted during the period of 2007-12 where we had years of consecutive poor summers, by Summer 2012 it was the same knee jerk reaction; people were saying that the UK's climate had changed so much that summers had become wet and cool and that we were unlikely to experience a heatwave any time soon. Interestingly during that period there was also a correlation for Summer like conditions in Spring and colder conditions in Winter.

And then Summer 2013 happened and since then the subsequent summers so far haven't been as bad as they were from the late 00s-early 10s ... Well in my location at least, I understand 2015 was mostly a north south split of good and bad.  So I am going out on a limb here to say that out of this cluster of consecutive nondescript, at times mild and unseasonable winters sooner or later a more seasonable one will pop up. But the UK's climate hasn't altered in such a way to prevent one happening.

Edited by wishingforsnow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Stick to models please I won't ask agai!!... Cat walk.. 

More model discussion in here that the mod thread!! 

Any way, big swings in models daily.. Hope we get a big swing in the cold direction within the next few days or I will start planting the spuds and right off this winter... SSW nope, Blocking Nope, did we hear all this last year ? YES! 

Posted

Long, long, long time lurker and reader of this great site and forum… but I feel I had to say summat about ' GLOBAL WARMING '… I agree with WWS, you have to look to the past to see what MIGHT now or the future?? If you look through history, many many patterns the same but with many cold and snow ones also… From the mid 80s to the mid 07, many many mild, wet, stormy weather with hardly any cold or snow… instead of real cold and SNOW!! What I'd love to see and a epic 47 or 63!! and as my name suggests, I'm a great believer in law of averages… in the 1970s, a prof/dr john hansen of NASA… proclaimed ' GLOBAL COOLING ' within 10/15yrs… he flipped too ' GLOBAL WARMING '??… the MET OFFICE are the same, there's no really evidence… just look in the good ole U.S of A or the FAR EAST, is that global warming?? if so I'd take that lol… and NO ONE can convince me that 1976 wasn't the hottest and longest period I've known… April till september, even october if I'm right but I was only a 11… at the time 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
26 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

What if we were a few hundred miles further west? Less chance of any modification of polar maritime air coming in around lows? More chance of getting that very cold airmass with less modification coming off the Labrador area of Canada? 

Let's go the full distance and move to the other side of the Atlantic.

that said though if we were 3000 miles west and the same latitude we'd be in the Canadian tundra with polar bears for company.

it just shows how damn moderating the Atlantic and particularly the Gulf Stream actually is but without them I think it's safe to say the this country and north west Europe in general would not have developed as they did.