Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted

Aside from the deaths that snow causes, much further into the tropics is snow going to get?

http://focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201601240011.aspx

First snow recorded ever in Taipei Taiwan :-(

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
1 hour ago, carinthian said:

Hi, depressing really. I know March 2013 saw a bit of snow lying on the south coast and frost. However, nearly 36 months on and some places down south hardly registering a snowflake, never mind snow lying. Some 3 year kids born down there must view a snowflake as just a cut out paper shape. Horrible sequence of winters for much of lowland Britain and must be near damn some sort of climatological records for days of no snow lying in parts, especially near to south coast. Time to get out swamp land , or build a Noahs Ark.Cannot see it getting better.

C

Talk about a mild winter, what about the heat in Spain now, presently 24c on the Biscay Coast of Northern Spain. That's just crazy for mid -winter. 24c in The UK would be welcome for most in summer, especially the last one up north !

C

Posted
1 minute ago, carinthian said:

Talk about a mild winter, what about the heat in Spain now, presently 24c on the Biscay Coast of Northern Spain. That's just crazy for mid -winter. 24c in The UK would be welcome for most in summer, especially the last one up north !

C

I do think if it can flip so far one way, it can flip back the other, we just have to wait. No doubt all the warmest synoptics will be at this end of the year and the coldest in summer.  I'm starting to think I should switch my allegiances to warm instead of cold in winter 

Posted

A little confused about some posts over the last few pages, I thought this was a weather forum, and especially in this non-serious thread, I did not expect to see such accusations for what someone did or did not include in one specific short post, as if this was some political mud slinging match or official publication that should have accommodated everything.

Also, several years ago and when I joined it seemed we could discuss weather events, take interest in and even look forward to/be excited by them more without being accused of having some preference, or 'wishing death on people' as much as these days.

Yes, I do find big weather events interesting, like many on here. Just like many people take interest/partake in in things that can and do cause deaths.. doesn't mean you want them. My enjoyment of such events is completely independent of (although it can be muted by), such tragedies [and no, I did not want to see events quite as severe as the flooding we've seen].

I imagine the most lethal weather type in this country is... sunshine. Should I not wish for that because some are unlucky or don't protect themselves? Equally with snow, should I not like it because some may do stupid things? If I like a snow event, it doesn't mean I want people to do those stupid things. Not that I can 'programme' myself to not find some of these things interesting/exhilarating, as if I was a computer.. bit of an odd concept really.
May sound unsympathetic but in reality I am sympathetic to both.

Also, not being able to travel/being closed for a couple days shouldn't really cause too much harm.. If it does, perhaps society/capitalism is set up wrong (I'm not saying any of these points describe the US snowstorm, but with many events, they do).
But yes, snow/cold does come with some risks especially travelling, a point which can be forgotten by a few 'coldies' (not a fan of these terms) who have seemed to get offended by me enjoying some active Atlantic weather (to a point), that can also cause some disruption.

I guess some may say there's a difference between finding something interesting (like many watching the USA event), and wanting it to happen.. but how many interests does one have where you don't want any of what interests you to exist??
Ultimately, I did not join this forum, get a weather station, or even have this interest to discuss bland weather all the time.

15 hours ago, knocker said:

But why the hell does everything have to be a battle on here between peoples own preferences with one in particular taking preference?

Exactly! it's just the weather and this is just a weather forum.
Does everything in life have to be controversial and 'offend' someone now? Beginning to lose patience with caring if it does.

3 hours ago, Iceni said:

Orchards need deep cold in order to have acdormancy period, but seemed the apple crop was better than ever last year and that was relatively mild.

Not really surprising because last winter was actually pretty average. Plenty of frosts down here, rather than the abnormally mild conditions so far this winter. Although, I'm not an expert on their requirements.

3 hours ago, cyclonic happiness said:

I can't believe are yet again watching America being buried by snow, and yet we struggle to get an inch.  

America is a very large land area with a continental climate, therefore we will watch somewhere in America get buried by snow every year.

2 hours ago, snowspotter said:

Anyone based in the South at least can forget any meaningful snow after Mid-February. So I think bearing in mind the current set up it is time to call this winter over for us Southerners.  

I'm not sure that's completely true, the end of April 1981 saw many areas including Devon gut burred by snow/blizzards. It may not be able to persist for too long so easily, but it rarely does, and I'd certainly take a few snow events in March or late February.

With regards to the Media, Paul's posts sum up my views very well.

Though.. I wish they'd fix this buggy forum software so I don't have to endlessly delete old quotes and lose my posts due to what I write vanishing if I click on the 'show replies' pop up, or often it returning back to the old post of weeks ago!!

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 5

Posted

Think its almost time to let this winter go. Most going to end up with nothing, yet again, this winter.

Gut wrenching seeing all that lovely snow in US whilst we have this bland rubbish.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, The Wolf said:

Think its almost time to let this winter go. Most going to end up with nothing, yet again, this winter.

Gut wrenching seeing all that lovely snow in US whilst we have this bland rubbish.

Oh come on.  It is only life. More important things to worry about. 

S

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

I think we need another Tropical Storm to form in the Atlantic to get colder weather. Hurricane Alex really did screwed up our last cold spell as some people say on model thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

If you look at this time lapse video of the overnight US snow storm you wonder if we will ever get anything as dramatic ever:

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, IDO said:

If you look at this time lapse video of the overnight US snow storm you wonder if we will ever get anything as dramatic ever:

I got this in March 2013. 60 cm of level snow and drifts over a metre.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Interesting that the Ad banner that comes up for me on the  Community Forum Page is "High Blood Pressure - the five hidden symptoms and what to do about them right now".

hmmmmm

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, 78/79 said:

Sometimes I think that myself ,and probably others don't look for snow so much, but search more for a change from the mind numbing blandness of our godforsaken climate , all year round.  even the Romans commented on it  1700 years ago , they thought that it was crap as well

What's "bland"? It rarely seems to be the same for more than 3 days in a row. My girlfriend is from a place that's more or less 30-34C every day of the year and rainier than here. Most people grin and bare it and see places like Scandinavia as exotic. They rely more on aircon than we do on heating. I prefer this state of affairs. 

Posted
23 minutes ago, IDO said:

Wow, just when you think it can't get any deeper it just keeps on going. So jealous.:angry:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 hour ago, Iceni said:
1 hour ago, Iceni said:

He probably gets it from walking around or looking out of the window. Not sure where you live, but in EA, apart from the Fens where most British veg is grown and Greens want 'left to Nature' I.e. Flooded again,  the soil is too heavy for summer seasonal crops. It's boukder clay and the short Spring/summer growing season means rape, wheat, beans etc. have to be sown and germinated the previous Autumn then left to overwinter. Otherwise the soil's too cold and doesn't warm up in time.

Your frost breaking down soil might be true for an allotment, but the farmers have massive tractors and kit to do all the work which amateurs rely on - like I should break up my raised beds and leave for the frosts over winter to save work, but I don't have a £100k John Deere plough. Farmers do.

Very good summation of much of East Anglia's agriculture.  As you say, the clay plateau which constitutes much of northern EA really isn't conducive to the sort of crops and techniques used in other regions.  Due to the predominant large arable fields and comparatively flat landscape (at least compared to upland regions), farming here has specific ways of working which are probably not applicable elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

But getting back to the original point, I still don't understand why someone who is a weather forecaster should be criticised for commenting on a twitter feed about a weather event occurring in the USA. Even if I shared your opinion about the 'media' not covering the floods quickly enough, I still wouldn't be jumping up and down because someone, 1 month later dared to tweet about something else!

Absolutely, Paul.  I see what people mean regarding Ian's comments, but it has to be said that some of the resposes here have been a bit OTT.  Anyway, isn't he allowed an occasional inexact turn of phrase?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I tend to think of the British climate as being near the back end of the top 20% of the world's most interesting climates.  We are capable of getting pretty much every type of weather that exists on the planet, but on the other hand, the "mundane" weather types (dull with persistent moderate rain, dry and cloudy, dry with some sunny intervals, moderately mild in winter, moderately cool in summer) occur far more frequently than the weather types that tend to generate excitement.   That last detail is why I think we're "near the back end", not helped by the issue that some of the higher-up climates are on our doorstep in continental Europe.  But it's easy to forget that some climates feature the same weather type and the same temperatures every day and most of us would probably quickly miss the relatively variable British climate after a spell spent in those areas.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
2 hours ago, Peter H said:

Mind you, we had a couple of weeks of really cold weather in mid February 1995.

I think it was February 1994 that had the fortnight of really cold weather- February 1995 was a mild month apart from a brief northerly around the 8th/9th.  However early March 1995 had widespread snow for much of Ireland, from a lesser version of the setup that brought big snowfalls in mid-January 1984.

There are hints on the model outputs of potential for some cold polar maritime blasts in the next couple of weeks, but they probably won't sustain for long enough to bring widespread snowfall.

Posted
3 hours ago, cornish snow said:

Sorry :D  we might end up with the coldest February ever , just speaking from experience! not saying we wont get snow and maybe even a reasonable fall but I mean ice days etc. does seem the whole climate is just very warm this year globally. Mild is milder then normal etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

I don't find our climate all that variable to be honest, at least not in my location. 

I find it generally mild, damp and dreary to be honest, with a lack of sunshine and any precipitation other than rain! It all feels like one long continuous Autumn! If we are lucky we get a week or two of hot weather in the summer and a day of two of cold/snow in the winter, but other than that it's 48 weeks of mild, cloudy dampness!

I find climates like Scandinavia, Eastern Europe or NE USA far more interesting and variable.

• Like 5

Posted

Our weather is definitely variable. Compare December 2010 to December 2015 or March 2012 to March 2013. The problem is we tend to get stuck in weather patterns at the moment. Here for example we've had barely a decent thunderstorm since 2012, no snow for three years, haven't hit above 27C since June 2011 or below -2.5C since March 2013.

As has been mentioned before, you don't go from a sub-zero month to snowless in 5 years, but you can get stuck in a rut with synoptics that drive a certain weather type. At the moment they're delivering an almost perpetual Autumn. It will change, but its just a matter of when. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Trouble is Reef, the dates you mention are the exception, the perpetual Autumn  weather is the norm and worryingly global warming seems to be making the situation even worse, especially in winter.

Posted

I'm generally not that annoyed about the weather here but it's starting to get on my nerves snow wise.

This winter so far:

Frosts: 2 (Had as much in November.)

Snow: 0

Fog: 1

Lowest Temp: -6 (This was actually good)

Rain and dullness: Most days.

Last snow fallen: December 2012 (Here's the problem)

Too many times the radar has shown snow over here but there's been nothing. Let's hope February is better.

Edited by ThundersnowDays

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Personally, I'd love what the US has had with this blizzard! Only the truly psychotic want people to die, due to weather or anything else.

Tragic as it is for the families involved, it's worth keeping a little perspective on weather-related deaths before reaching for the self-flagellation whips, hair shirts, or fainting couches. Death toll may increase, of course, but the BBC are currently reporting a total 18 snow-related deaths (some indirect), including:

- 6 attributable to snow-shovelling

- 1 fatal accident involving a teen sledging behind an ATV

- 1 man shot dead by the man he'd gone to help when the motorist's car had come off the road

In a previous report on Friday I saw 9 deaths had been attributed to vehicular accidents. This storm was estimated to have affected approximately 85 million people - a single weather event that had an impact on more than the total population of the UK, with the loss of 18 lives and not all of those unavoidable or directly due to the snow.

As far as I'm aware, there have been none of the following:

- disembowelling by snowball

- confused and lost polar bears rampaging through Washington, eating kindergartners

- sentient snowmen taking up arms and pillaging the east coast

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
4 hours ago, markyo said:

Not sure were you get your info from,i grew up in the farming industry,trust me jan an feb are vital to have those frosts to break the ground,ploughing in september is purely for drainage purposes. All wildlife needs the cold in winter to enable a strong growth pattern come the spring,again can i say its far more complicated than just saying mild weather favours their life cycle. Really can't understand why people can't understand this.

frost doesnt 'break the ground'... it erodes lumps of ploughsoil, but so does rain, wind and drought. farmers break the ground by cultivating it prior to drilling.

mild weather DOES favour some wildlife, there is no rule that says all wildlife needs cold or all wildlife needs mild.

butterflies were mentioned, the vanessids prefer dry conditions to hibernate, other species like the speckled wood or ringlet thrive more in a milder wetter winter.

3 hours ago, cornish snow said:

Disagree. Warmer temp's in winter dosen't always equal more food.

That butterfly i saw last week was reacting to unusally high temperatures,but i doubt it found much food. Haven't seen much Buddleia in flower,lately.

never seen buddlieas flowering in march/april either - most overwintering butterflies emerge and only live for a short time before dying, they dont rely on feeding, but try to breed.

of course it depends what species youre talking about, milder weather brings out more insects which will feed any insectivores, but will do nothing for seed eaters.

the point is of course that nature adapts, it always has, things increase and decrease as suitable weather comes and goes. it isnt fixed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow
2 hours ago, Gustywind said:

I don't find our climate all that variable to be honest, at least not in my location. 

I find it generally mild, damp and dreary to be honest, with a lack of sunshine and any precipitation other than rain! It all feels like one long continuous Autumn! If we are lucky we get a week or two of hot weather in the summer and a day of two of cold/snow in the winter, but other than that it's 48 weeks of mild, cloudy dampness!

I find climates like Scandinavia, Eastern Europe or NE USA far more interesting and variable.

LOL,Bit extreme perhaps?

Know what your saying,but it's not that bad,is it?

Springtime in Cornwall(may-July) usually lovely weather. Goes t--s up when you lot come down for your hols!:)