Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
7 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

Mid Feb 78 had one of the most famous blizzards in the SW:

still ranks as the greatest snowstorm I have ever experienced and that's saying something having lived through Canadian winters.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

While we get ready for another bout of wind and rain, the good old U S of A looks set to get clobbered again http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35374741 Do they ever have Winters like ours which as well all know have been utter durge for the past few years? :wallbash::vava::bad::cray::crazy:

Posted

The Beeb have put out a great video which some of you may have seen already which illustrates the possibility of what could lie in store for the rest of winter and early spring and further more prolonged cold is not off the table according to them.

We may have to put up with milder, wetter weather but I suspect it will only be for the next 2 weeks whilst it looks like the Strat warming or PV displacement is really getting underway. Hopefully that will work out favourably for us. 

Also the latest Met updates have reinstated a possible return to colder conditions for early - mid February after removing it completely a few days ago.

So I'm still holding out hope. If we get to mid February and its been a constantly wet, windy, mild pattern like December with the Strat warming failing to benefit us and no room for improvement at all, by then I will write this winter off as a disappointment. Not yet though .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, wishingforsnow said:

The Beeb have put out a great video which some of you may have seen already which illustrates the possibility of what could lie in store for the rest of winter and early spring and further more prolonged cold is not off the table according to them.

We may have to put up with milder, wetter weather but I suspect it will only be for the next 2 weeks whilst it looks like the Strat warming or PV displacement is really getting underway. Hopefully that will work out favourably for us. 

Also the latest Met updates have reinstated a possible return to colder conditions for early - mid February after removing it completely a few days ago.

So I'm still holding out hope. If we get to mid February and its been a constantly wet, windy, mild pattern like December with the Strat warming failing to benefit us and no room for improvement at all, by then I will write this winter off as a disappointment. Not yet though .

Where do I find the video please, I wouldn't mind having a watch as I'm still trying to keep the faith lol :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms
8 minutes ago, wishingforsnow said:

Thank you :) 

Posted

Also bear in mind that any models at the moment within a vaguely 'reliable' time frame ie over a week from now and deep FI go up to the end of January showing milder wetter conditions but first of all, this should tie in with the science behind the Strat warming/PV displacement getting seriously under way. If this eventually benefits us in February the pain of months of mild/wet weather will have been worth it - and what is different from say 2013/14 is that back then there was no real sign of a chance of a SSW or vortex displacement which accounted for the constant mild, wet weather and +AO from late November to mid March. Now at least there is a significant chance of an event which could be a game changer in winter pattern, with expert support as well.

Secondly, models 10 days out from now are not likely to verify exactly or sometimes even at all, so there could be further unexpected developments.

And the recent prolonged cold spell to me has shown that the vortex is taking a battering and that we are one step closer to achieving what could be a real flip in weather pattern as opposed to maintaining the 'status quo' of mild and wet and its only a matter of time.

• Like 2

Posted

I really hope something at least cooler turns up in Feb. as off to Scotland to try and find some white stuff on the 15th,  after a great snowy week for the ski resorts with great conditions they are loosing snow so fast they will be shut again in a week at this rate :-(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather
2 hours ago, Evening thunder said:

I remember this. We lived near Holsworthy in North Devon in an isolated bungalow, my Dad and I visited our farmer neighbours by sledge walking on top of packed drifts and going over the hedgerows with the sledge, it was very cold but fun. I was 5 1/2. My little sister and I used the log shed roof as a mini sledging hill, Dad built us an igloo, and we spent hours outside making snow animals. Absolute heaven for kids.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

thoroughly depressed now to hear the eastern US is about to get yet another huge snowstorm which could even break the record.  They seem to have these huge storms every few years and even in between manage to get decent snowfall each year.  Meanwhile back in the dampfest that is the UK we have to be grateful for even a cm of snow if we're lucky and that is for the entire winter season.  What a joke this countries weather is.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

I can guarantee that all the elements required for a cold and snowy scenario will all come together.......in July.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: gales & snow

Not much left of January, I think we can forget about getting a decent snowfall, we can't even get a good windstorm never mind a good snowfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
1 hour ago, Weather of Mass Disruption said:

While we get ready for another bout of wind and rain, the good old U S of A looks set to get clobbered again http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35374741 Do they ever have Winters like ours which as well all know have been utter durge for the past few years? :wallbash::vava::bad::cray::crazy:

Are there a lot of Brits over there ???

"""A light dusting of snow on Wednesday night caused gridlock in Washington, raising fears about what lies ahead.""

• Like 2

Posted
21 minutes ago, stewfox said:

Are there a lot of Brits over there ???

"""A light dusting of snow on Wednesday night caused gridlock in Washington, raising fears about what lies ahead.""

Well it's like anywhere really. When I lived in Columbus, Ohio, we had several inches of snow one Sunday morning. No problem at all as nobody was needing to be anywhere. But then a dusting one Tuesday evening around 5pm caused the city to come to a standstill. It's timing really.

I was a teacher back in 2013 here in the Black Country and during a Friday snowstorm in the January, the schools around Dudley and Sandwell all shut just before lunchtime. There was chaos on the roads between 11am and 1pm as everyone made a beeline for home. I left it until around 2pm and got a totally clear run (still took it steady in my little Aygo though!).

It doesn't take much snow to cause problems...just a lot of panicky traffic!

Getting back on topic. I'm going back to my week at a time approach to watching the weather models. So for the next week, nothing to see really. I'll come back and have another look next Friday.

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
3 hours ago, Evening thunder said:

yep i do seem to recall it, but here in derby we had a few cold days, no snow, likewise feb 86, many further south had snow but we didnt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
36 minutes ago, Snow Dayz said:

Yep Coldest June on record I'm going for!! and another summer washout!

Bookmarked for future reference! :hi:

Posted
4 hours ago, snow freak said:

thoroughly depressed now to hear the eastern US is about to get yet another huge snowstorm which could even break the record.  They seem to have these huge storms every few years and even in between manage to get decent snowfall each year.  Meanwhile back in the dampfest that is the UK we have to be grateful for even a cm of snow if we're lucky and that is for the entire winter season.  What a joke this countries weather is.

uk always been rubbish country to live in if you like snow,but having said that ,the past few winters have been dire,you would expect one decent cold spell with some snow ,i guess last weeks cold spell is our lot then,even though it was pretty rubbish for most,,but we rarely even had that past few winters.

Best thing,go book a flight to USA when you see one of their Northeasters' being forecast as we are unlikely to see that amount of snow in our entire lifetime in the UK :(

Posted
4 minutes ago, knocker said:

I'm pleased to be able to report the new 'torpedo' proof woodshed is up and running complete with new mural

Wood-shed-1-1024x784.jpggefs_t2ma_5d_eur_33.thumb.png.15aa1a01aa

OMG lol,back to Dec temps again,incredible,but maybe flooding problems again :(

Posted
10 minutes ago, knocker said:

Wood-shed-1-1024x784.jpggefs_t2ma_5d_eur_33.thumb.png.15aa1a01aa

Simple logic here. How can the areas to the SSW of the UK be below average when the source of the airmass is from there? How can it be neutral in an area that seems to follow the coastal outline of the British Isles but suddenly become a positive anomaly what about 100 miles off the coast?

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
7 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Simple logic here. How can the areas to the SSW of the UK be below average when the source of the airmass is from there? How can it be neutral in an area that seems to follow the coastal outline of the British Isles but suddenly become a positive anomaly what about 100 miles off the coast?

Is that not just a reflection of the current SST anomaly - assuming air at 2 metres is correspondingly cooler than base climatology.

cdas-sflux_ssta_atl_1.png

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

OMG lol,back to Dec temps again,incredible,but maybe flooding problems again :(

I sincerely hope not but with this sort of set up the NW is in the firing line.

• Like 1