Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 minute ago, lorenzo said:

Nice way to start the weekend with a layer of the white stuff !

Lamp post inspecting on the way home fae work !

Kids immediately outside running about daft - loved it :) 

Enjoyed watching that rather than plunging the depths of despondency over the ECM !

IMAG2119.jpg

IMAG2134_BURST003.jpg

IMAG2137_BURST002.jpg

IMAG2129_BURST002.jpg

Where was Mr Tumnus?:p

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Hairy Celt said:

Where was Mr Tumnus?:p

According to rumour, he was having social intercourse with the Snow Queen!:drunk-emoji:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
15 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

According to rumour, he was having social intercourse with the Snow Queen!:drunk-emoji:

Is that a NW euphemism for stroking her feline? (Wow even that gets the treatment...)

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Hairy Celt said:

Is that a NW euphemism for stroking her feline? 

Benny hill, I think.:oops:

Posted

SUPRISE snow fall here today .... Caught everyone off guard including the local highway agency's / council resulted in untreated roads numerous accidents delays and diversions . Was nice to see the white stuff not so nice when driving on an ice rink 

• Like 1

Posted

Great to see the photos and read the stories from elsewhere. Just a pretty damp, wet, miserable evening here. Bit of slushy muck on the car but that's about it. A few miles away, different story LOL

Posted

Re- Peborant talking about some of the populace further south not knowing the weather up here, I remember at the end of March 2010 when Jo Whiley was asking radio listeners what they were doing with their day. In between the multiple "pottering about the garden" and "off to the beach" type texts, my "digging out 2&1/2 feet of snow after a weekend long blizzard" stood out a wee bit. I obviously couldn't see it but I sensed she had a face like a dog being shown a card trick whilst reading it out

Days like today merit finding this thread, somewhere documenting weather which you didn't necessarily expect and neither did the forecasts for your area. Really enjoyed the reports and pictures

It's 'warmed up' a bit here with some cloud cover, currently -3C

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I was away on Arran for the last two days seeing sun for the first time this year yesterday, but driving back today was a lot of fun. Firstly we decided to take advantage of the morning lull (unforecast if you bought the NMM, day long by the MO's output) to head up towards Goat Fell. En route, as the snowy summit disappeared behind the cloud, the rain set in, eventually turning to wet snow when we were about 300m up, at which point we headed back down completely soaked. Over lunch the intensity increased and even at sea level snow fell, and by the time it cleared the snow line was down to about 50m or so. It wasn't till we were on the ferry that we heard how bad it was across the water, at which point we fortunately decided to take the coastal road back up towards Greenock instead of braving what turned out to be treacherous conditions on the Johnstone road. The worst of the falling stuff was between Port Glasgow and the east end, though fortunately as far as driving was concerned it had stopped by the time we got to the usual snow magnet from Coatbridge to Lorenzo's house, which was a stunning drive with snow on the trees and on the verge. 

I did look with a wry smile last night at the snow warning covering South Ayrshire but not north given how the NMM and at points the EURO4 had it getting much further north. The margins are so fine with these events that even it ending up getting 20 miles north or so than forecast without fizzling out is a big miss, and it certainly seems as though that's partly to blame for some of the road issues, but the intensity of the precipitation and the speed of it changing to snow would've been difficult to counteract even with warnings (as seems to have been the case in the Borders).

Anyway, I can't remember how many times in the last few winters the charts have pulled the same stunt with Greenland heights. However, still more than enough interest for us, with consecutive days of sufficient upper air temperatures and a relatively slack and messy trough setup giving good snow potential for a lot of areas. The EC seems to salvage the block with mid latitude heights, which we haven't really seen much of lately, which would provide surface cold and a much needed break from the near constant precipitation (mostly rain of course) of the last 6 weeks. 

BestPhoto_20160107_153050_1.jpg

20160108_120515.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

Picture of a friends drive home in Ayrshire tonight. He made it through this in a rwd drive car! 

IMG-20160108-WA0001.thumb.jpg.6dcdb1a60a

Freezing fog has set in here, looks nice withe the snow stuck to the trees. Wondering what tomorrow's band will bring!

• Like 5

Posted

22 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

I was away on Arran for the last two days seeing sun for the first time this year yesterday, but driving back today was a lot of fun. Firstly we decided to take advantage of the morning lull (unforecast if you bought the NMM, day long by the MO's output) to head up towards Goat Fell. En route, as the snowy summit disappeared behind the cloud, the rain set in, eventually turning to wet snow when we were about 300m up, at which point we headed back down completely soaked. Over lunch the intensity increased and even at sea level snow fell, and by the time it cleared the snow line was down to about 50m or so. It wasn't till we were on the ferry that we heard how bad it was across the water, at which point we fortunately decided to take the coastal road back up towards Greenock instead of braving what turned out to be treacherous conditions on the Johnstone road. The worst of the falling stuff was between Port Glasgow and the east end, though fortunately as far as driving was concerned it had stopped by the time we got to the usual snow magnet from Coatbridge to Lorenzo's house, which was a stunning drive with snow on the trees and on the verge. 

I did look with a wry smile last night at the snow warning covering South Ayrshire but not north given how the NMM and at points the EURO4 had it getting much further north. The margins are so fine with these events that even it ending up getting 20 miles north or so than forecast without fizzling out is a big miss, and it certainly seems as though that's partly to blame for some of the road issues, but the intensity of the precipitation and the speed of it changing to snow would've been difficult to counteract even with warnings (as seems to have been the case in the Borders).

Anyway, I can't remember how many times in the last few winters the charts have pulled the same stunt with Greenland heights. However, still more than enough interest for us, with consecutive days of sufficient upper air temperatures and a relatively slack and messy trough setup giving good snow potential for a lot of areas. The EC seems to salvage the block with mid latitude heights, which we haven't really seen much of lately, which would provide surface cold and a much needed break from the near constant precipitation (mostly rain of course) of the last 6 weeks. 

20160108_120515.jpg

Tell us about it! We have ended up suffering cloud cover but no ppn and as a result temperatures have gone up by a painful half a degree or so in an hour (about a degree on the grass), now it seems it's bouncing back down so we'll see what happens-. Grass turning mushy again as well but that'd change pretty quickly if academy ventured under 0.5, Which leads me on to a question why if the sensor is showing minus temperatures the grass is not frozen? I thought ground air was meant to be colder? Unless it's because it's cloudy? Thanks for your thoughts! 

rooftop 0,8

sensor -0.5

Posted
2 hours ago, peborant said:

To be fair, who could care about their rants? There is a clear reason why the Romans built that wall and that is essentially the inhospitable land and weather which make this country so utterly beautiful and striking and clean and heart-awing. I am just sorry I have spent three out of five years in the UK living south of the Borders pretty much Liverpool-Manchester-Leeds-Newcastle is an endless overpopulated strip of Industrial Europe and I suppose their more benign climes and plains allowed for more "improvement and development"! Long may live the bare hills o'Scotland though.

On a more political note, they blank us as well and from atop too. When the weather presenter is going through a UK-wide map, they -almost- always talk about England and Wales first, at best mentioning Scotland every other time. While 'poor' Londoners were enjoying their balmy 16º last month, I have serious doubt that the general populace was aware that we under cold rain, wind and the occasional snowfall especially on the hills at the back of the village. So it goes both ways, as it tends to do on these cases, me being a Catalan I feel strongly for Scotland as I myself have seen the myriad of things that difference these two countries, which at least you are 'permitted' to call them. In Spain calling Catalonia a country is a -bad- separatist wording of affairs. They only allow us to call it a 'historic nationality' (not 'nation'. There was great upset about that one, too.) The Union is, at the end of the day, a Union and that has always been acknowledged, England and Scotland being two separate entities. Castilians, however, lost their national identity in favour of a more powerful Spain, formed and shaped through centuries of conquests and oppression of other nations, be it in Iberia or overseas. 

Sorry about massive off-topic, weather-wise happy for all of you and as much as I am jealous for some of the pics, I congratulate you and relish in the start of a colder period for this part of the world over the next few days, let's enjoy the ride! 

Top'o the school reading 0.5C so I assume it's around -2C in sensor, I will give update when back from the gym. Nae snow, it's all fizzled out N of the Forth butcertainly they never predicted all the snaw for the central belt so late into the day; some things cannot be predicted by the models, today has effectively been a last-minute upgrade and that's always good. Now let's look forward to some clear skies and nice minima temps for everyone :)

You should venture further South to Bristol and the West Country - beautiful part of England.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

I am Scottish but very much love England Bristle Boy....and your city is a fantastic place....

I love this thread but not ashamed to say I am fond of many parts of England and I don't have a problem with England not been interested in our weather as to be honest don't really pay much attention to other countries myself.... 

Edited by edo
Rubbish at typing
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Well well, snow here at -2'C, seems to be a day of country wide surprises! 

• Like 2

Posted

Sorry for my cutting words, England does have beautiful spots as well as Scotland has its share of not so nice places to live. In that respect it's a bit like everywhere else! 

Mum texted before saying it was 22º in Barcelona today - which is weird at this point of the year. Just checked and station in the city centre reads 18.5º now so very warm indeed. Warmest max of the day in the country recorded in a southern little village surrounded by orange trees and the lush river Ebro at 25º. You complain about lack of cold but man if you are a coldie in the coastal areas of Catalonia (and even worse, Valencia or Murcia) you need a perfect sort of setup in order to get decent cold, which usually implies Scotland being warmer at 850hpa than northern Morocco ideally. At least there's PM and AM and Continental here :)

Back on my bit of Blighty the skies have cleared and temp has plummeted! 

sensor -3.6 :cc_confused: now the skies are clear temperature is dropping faster on the grassed ground? 

school -0.3 however experience has shown that if school shows minus everything freezes over at a nice pace so good to be at this point. 

Night everyone let's see what tomorrow brings! 

• Like 4

Posted
29 minutes ago, edo said:

I am Scottish but very much love England Bristle Boy....and your city is a fantastic place....

I love this thread but not ashamed to say I am fond of many parts of England and I don't have a problem with England not been interested in our weather as to be honest don't really pay much attention to other countries myself.... 

Very much agree Edo, would'nt want any interpretation of my previous post suggesting otherwise. Bristol, Bath, Brighton, York, Newcastle, the list of places I adore in England is endless. Cumbria being my favourite area and quite possibly the place I feel is as close to the stunning beauty of the Highlands (I know I'm biased :) ) in the Uk. Commentary was aimed at the media and their comparative coverage of the weather and peoples resulting awareness. Always a hint that the further north you go the less it's (often not always) prioritised. Less inhabitants affected possibly the reason? It happens with the Scottish media on a more local scale too.... It's just now there is no Cat Cubie so maybe they can't distract me as much these days  

Nice one Rab, will keep my eyes peeled for that heading south 

• Like 2

Posted

It looks like there is a band of precipitation heading north. Will it fizzle out before it reaches Scotland? And does anyone know if temperatures are expected to rise meaning rain rather than snow? Thanks.

Posted

Couldn't agree more re Cumbria and of course the Highlands is unsurpassed....my favourite drive through the Highlands is on a dreich day with the burns all rushing down the hills...Have misty eyes this morning but nothing to do with the mist....  Its being reminded of the cubie 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Frozen Britain said:

It looks like there is a band of precipitation heading north. Will it fizzle out before it reaches Scotland? And does anyone know if temperatures are expected to rise meaning rain rather than snow? Thanks.

On the BBC animation some of it does reach Scotland and it turns to snow in areas...as with yesterday some will get a nice surprise and some will get cold rain...it's still -3 here and that'd despite being cloudy so air certainly cool enough but I've seen the  temps jump quickly before as the precipitation arrives...nothing due here until late afternoon and I think we will probably have warmed up maybe slightly too much by then 

Posted

First Band starts to break up as reaches Dumfries as rain at 11.40...turning to snow in Moffat area as disintegrates...that's according to raintoday anyway....if stays together then same areas as yesterday got excellent potential for more bonus snowfall

Screenshot_2016-01-09-09-07-29.png

Edited by edo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

-2.9 min overnight. Currently at -2.2.

Snaw perfectly preserved for now. Even the stuff on wee tree branches.

Snawman built last night. Sledging enjoyed.

= winter wonderland.

EDIT only complaint is the council. They came along quickly after yesterday's snaw and ploughed / salted the road. Totally black with not even any decent ice patches.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 3

Posted

I will be in the highest villages in Scotland today (Wanlockhead & Leadhills). We will be running the ski club's nursery slope rope tows and meeting to plan our races on the ski centre circuit ... http://www.skiclub.lowtherhills.com/news/97-2016-sssa-alpine-race-series 

If I don't see some falling snow today, I will eat my beanie :)

If I get a chance to reboot the webcams again, I'll give it a go but our problem is mostly lack of power ...

http://www.skiclub.lowtherhills.com/news/93-britain-s-highest-off-grid-webcams-work-party-wednesday-16th-december

Edited by moffatross
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Good luck with the webcams moffatross, There Nice vid of Snow falling in Crowfordjohn yesterday.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3