Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! Dreich is the best way I can describe todays pathetic offering. Everything feels so damp so I've lit the fire early. Off to make some  soup, bread baking away as I type. Current temp is 7.5 but it feels much colder.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Hope all is well with your roof Misty?   Been down that road and don't want to go down it again!

I need to get more bread on the go too but been on too much of a pancake fetish lately!   Just waiting on the rain rolling in now which I can put up with as long as it's not accompanied by near hurricane force winds.   Ah the joys of the Scottish weather!:rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
30 minutes ago, mistyqueen said:

Morning all! Dreich is the best way I can describe todays pathetic offering. Everything feels so damp so I've lit the fire early. Off to make some  soup, bread baking away as I type. Current temp is 7.5 but it feels much colder.

Soup, homemade bread, fire.....

Misty, I'd quite like to swap lives with you, how'd you fancy living in Falkirk for a while? We do have a fire and we sometimes get snow! I think I could handle the Dreich and dodgy roof if I got homemade soup and bread. By the way you'd have to look after two horrid kids but feel free to just shut them in their rooms. Lol.

Just peered out of office window, pretty grey and yuk here to at the moment.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, snowidea said:

Misty, I'd quite like to swap lives with you, how'd you fancy living in Falkirk for a while? We do have a fire and we sometimes get snow! I think I could handle the Dreich and dodgy roof if I got homemade soup and bread. By the way you'd have to look after two horrid kids but feel free to just shut them in their rooms. Lol.

I'll swap your Falkirk weans for my demons if you like. Don't recommend it though.

3C and as unpleasant as irritable bowel syndrome this morning. I exaggerate, as usual.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

I'll swap your Falkirk weans for my demons if you like. Don't recommend it though

I don't want to burst any of your bubbles but....when they are older, you're just dealing with a different set of problems!:rolleyes::D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
20 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

I don't want to burst any of your bubbles but....when they are older, you're just dealing with a different set of problems!:rolleyes::D

Don't I know it, with one coming up to 9 and the other two 18 & 20 I get both sets of problems at the same time.

Clouded over here now. 5.1C and still very little wind.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Some consolation to us skiers is that the mountains might get a good pasting over the next 10 days. At least if we can get a decent last half of the ski season it would make up for the lack of lowland snow.

Planning Outlook

All mountain areas of Britain from Friday 5th February 2016

Unsettled over the next 10 days to a fortnight, and generally cold on the mountains. Later in next week, incoming low pressure systems may well track further south than recent times. A cold front passes south-east during this Friday, and from then on, freezing levels will often be around 750m even as far south as Wales - and often lower on the Scottish Highlands. Snowfall is likely to be considerable and may well consolidate as far south as higher areas of south Wales.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
6 hours ago, Blitzen said:

My house swap on offer has 4 demons well 3 demons and 1 angel...and to be fair that angel is actually a demon in disguise but the only one who has figured out daddy is easily manipulated by cuddles and praise and therefore her bad behaviour goes off radar

Can tell there is little weather to discuss 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....
19 hours ago, snowidea said:

Thanks for the offer, but kids don't agree with me. I get terrible indigestion after I've eaten even just a wee one!:rofl: Blawin' a wee bit up here this morning, temp 9cc, horizontal rain. It's like a rinse and repeat programme!

• Like 4

Posted

Back edge snow tonight according to BBC...I am clutching at any straw now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Wow, checked the weather station and it was -9.5C this morning...oh wait, was that +9.5C...nah it's Feb, must have been minus not positive surely?

Very mild, quite windy, lots of cloud but dry so far. Supposed to cool down later, but I don't think it'll be quick enough here for us to see any 'back edge snow'.

@November13, I hope you are right about the snow on the hills. Next weekend is a long weekend for the schools, Fr & Mon off. Last year we went over to Nevis Range for a few days but it's not looking great anywhere at the moment, especially in the East again. Yesterday Lecht looked OK, this morning though it looks patchy. Was really hoping Glenshee would get a good dump as I didn't manage to ski there last year and not this year so far either. Maybe the snow is waiting until the new chair is up and running?

Posted

I think we are finally getting the snow on the mountains this week. Meto are suggesting prolonged sub zero over 2000ft. Next weekend could be a belter. I will go midweek to avoid the rush.

Posted
2 hours ago, November13 said:

Back edge snow tonight according to BBC...I am clutching at any straw now.

NMM not without interest for parts of the borders and the usual suspects north and west - Euro4 not so much! I can't imagine I'll be lampost watching!

Posted

Boring weather today, grey sky, 7C, no wind, bit drizzly pish pants etc.  Just fell asleep watching my thumbnails grow....  zzzzzz

• Like 3

Posted

I'm no expert when it comes to reading charts, far from it!   Looks to me that Scottish ski resorts wouldn't do too badly should 12z GFS verify?   Plenty of precipitation around and 850s look okay with elevation?   I don't think lowlanders could complain of hairdryer set up either and may get lucky on  one or two occasions?   I may be talking absolute poo tho'!:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Posted

Winters over in the model thread but I have just been to Inverurie today and there were remnents of drifts at the side of the A96 between Huntly and Keith waiting for more snow at 8c. Temperature here now 1.9c so winter back again and drifts probably frozen again.

Posted
57 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Winters over in the model thread but I have just been to Inverurie today and there were remnents of drifts at the side of the A96 between Huntly and Keith waiting for more snow at 8c. Temperature here now 1.9c so winter back again and drifts probably frozen again.

1C here tonight, iced up puddles etc.; forecast for 4C :shok: ok maybe not that big a shock.

Roads could be fun in the morning as I don't think the gritters have been out today.

• Like 1

Posted

Nice wee frost this morning, looks like we caught a rogue shower overnight. Snow patches remain in the garden and the animals have all returned to feed these last few days, squirrels doing capoeira or some sort of freeform martial arts while battling over the feed box. Couple of potential ice days from midweek and some snow showers, I'll take that over yesterday's yawn-fest. 0.8C

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 2

Posted

Just to add to last nights musings looking round the Firth today on calm overcast morning  we have remnants of snow drifts to quite low levels (800feet) now with considerable cover over 2000 feet backing up Hairy Celts thoughts that the seasons are two months behind as the gradual lowering of the snow level looks more like the end of November beginning of December so 2 months of winter srtill to come? Currently 3.9c

Another observation from starting to appear above the soil surface about the end of November the daffodils have done nothing this last month or so.

• Like 1

Posted

Strangely parochial news item from the BBC about a February snowfall 20 years ago, conflating a snowfall in Dumfries with all of D&G, I have seen snowfalls in Moffat deeper than those pix more than once in the last 10 years. Wanlockhead gets heavier snowfalls several times most winters. The item also noted that the 50 cm that fell at Eskdalemuir was small-fry compared to snowfalls elsewhere :cc_confused: All very weird, a bit like saying that Argyll rarely gets heavy snowfalls because it doesn't snow much in Oban. Nice pix though :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-35461633

Edited by moffatross
  • Like 2

Posted

Quite liking how the latest  runs have been developing.   Certainly not mild after the next few  days?   Maybe there will be some in the MOD running around picking up their towels soon?:)

Edited by Blitzen

7 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Quite liking how the latest  runs have been developing.   Certainly not mild after the next few  days?   Maybe there will be some in the MOD running around picking up their towels soon?:)

I still have a horrible feeling that it'll be close but no cigar for many lowlanders. Mebbes that's just 11 years of chart watching making me cynical? As I keep saying it's certainly not hairdryer SW mild winds so anything could happen. Keep dem fingers crossed :)