Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
1 hour ago, WillinGlossop said:

Looking at arpege and nmm models lookslike some potentially severe wintery weather saturday.....

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/arpege.php?ech=87&mode=45&map=330

30-40cm in peak district??!!

Yes maybe for the north of our region, snow watch for you guys with 250asl + :)

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/5173/arpegeuk-42-76-0_qii7.png

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/9464/arpegeuk-42-77-0_ejp2.png

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Think snow is pretty unlikely. Not worth shouting about. Rain is more of real concern IMO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
1 hour ago, WillinGlossop said:

Updated peak district met forecast.....

image.png

I noticed that too, Will. I wonder exactly what they mean by 'at height' ?  200m? 400m? 500m?

Sometimes I wish they'd be a little more specific as they must have a general figure in mind.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

On the warnings the meto state 200+.

However, as the associated precipitation encounters colder air across northern England, it may turn to snow. This is most likely towards the north of the yellow area and on high ground, with 5 to 10 cm potentially accumulating above around 200 m. Whilst this would reduce the risk of flooding, it may lead to some travel disruption, especially where flooded roads have been closed and more minor routes are in greater use.

This development is associated with a high degree of uncertainty, especially regarding the track and timing of the depression, and this alert will be kept under review. 

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted

Fingers crossed.... Oh well we shall see.... Am hoping to see a bit of the white stuff before i go away... Snowing quite widely in northern ireland i see already....

i guess it will be down to elevation, evaporative cooling and how far north the precipitation moves which are all going to be part of the equation......

Edited by WillinGlossop

Posted

Thanks P.M. We just have to get over the 'high degree of uncertainty' now

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
4 hours ago, WillinGlossop said:

Fingers crossed.... Oh well we shall see.... Am hoping to see a bit of the white stuff before i go away... Snowing quite widely in northern ireland i see already....

i guess it will be down to elevation, evaporative cooling and how far north the precipitation moves which are all going to be part of the equation......

Will, bit off-topic, but are you aware of a Scrooge show taking place in Glossop over the next few days? My Uncle is starring in it alongside his friend :D They did their first show tonight and I think they are doing another one tomorrow night. It's at Partington Players Theatre I think.

As for the Weather at the moment, not got much to say apart from zzzzzz:rofl:

Edited by andy_leics22
  • Like 1

Posted

Good luck to him.... Not been there yet ( have been here nearly three years, doh) Drove past other day, waiting at lights, and there were three people with a ladder trying to open a window there....Wasnt sure if theyd lost the keys.... Hehe..... Heard the theatre is meant to be really good though...... Ps maybe just maybe might at least wake up to white hills around sat/sun..... 

Posted

Bet whatever happens here that the snake qnd woodhead passes will be closed tomorrow..... 

Not got above 4c here today.... Met had this area 6-8c today.... Wind making it feel brrrrr..... Nextdoor is on roof trying to put up xmas lights up outside..... Much nicer indoors with hot chocolate..... All packed for monday for malaysia..... 34c there yesterday with humidity making it feel like 43c

Posted

Hilarious after a fairly decent week (compared to recently anyway) yet again we get to suffer a sunless misery fest of a weekend *sigh*

Posted

How far north will it go? Your bets now..... It lookslike it will be quite heavy precip..... Looking across various models anything from 20-60mm so could some places end up with 30cm? Ie hillier places like kinder/ top of woodhead/snake? 

image.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

No rain today! rare event for Dec, this Dec not been that bad, only 1 washout out of 11 days, not bad going for the most low pressure,Atlantic dominated month

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Will it wont it???? the big question and for me even up here in the peak district im saying just not cold enough and front just too far north this time... will still be plenty of other chances before winter is out...

Posted

Well its 2c and raining atm.... Lovely.... Rain shower but not much intensity... Maybe tomorrow.....wait and see....

well im back jan 22nd..... Maybe wintery by then...

Edited by WillinGlossop

Posted

Half and hour or so of sleet around 0900 but that was it for 'snowfall' here. It was always going to be borderline this far south though, even at this height.

It's been thick fog and light-moderate rain since then with the temperature climbing slowly to a current value of 3.6c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

As I expected, nothing of note for the Peak District. Mild here. Classic north south winter split today. Balmy here in the south once again. 

Posted

Don't even need to elaborate on today's weather, know the drill by now, oh to have even winters like 2013 back, didn't seem that special at the time but after 18 months of howling 40mph winds and 11c any change would do nicely.

Posted

balmy here, typical average Dec day, approaching 10C, absolute shocker tomorrow, full on washout 13th, then hopefully dry and warm on wed and thur

Posted

A rapid rise in temperature in the last hour, and the clearance of the fog, as the warm sector arrived. Now up to 8.5c.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Terminal Moraine said:

A rapid rise in temperature in the last hour, and the clearance of the fog, as the warm sector arrived. Now up to 8.5c.

that's a shock, Costa del fal's forecast was correct after all! i was expecting at least a foot of snow for that area, bbc forecast though for here shocking, only said max of 5C, been over 9 now for an hour

Posted

A very mild wet and windy day after a pretty cold start.

Its awful.

A glimmer of hope getting closer to Christmas but 10 days away is along way off.

http://weather.unisys.com/gfs/gfs.php?inv=0&plot=850&region=eu&t=10d

• Like 1

Posted

A cool morning with rain/sleet arriving by 7am, Rain became persistent and heavy at times through the afternoon with blustery winds and a rise in temps, A max of 11.2c and a low last night of 2.8c. Currently Moderate sometimes heavy rain & blustery.

Temp 11.2c

Wind W/N/W Avg 15.8mph

Gusting 47mph

Rain 16.2mm