Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

One of those mornings today where snow was lying at 0900 and it goes down in the records as a 'day with lying snow' even though the  snow cover only lasted about 4 hours. Still, it compensates for those days where snow starts to fall at 0930 and snow cover lasts all day but as there's nothing lying at 0900 it doesn't count.

• Like 1

Posted

See the East and mid-west of America is going into a deep freeze again, anyone who says there is no link between us being snowless and them being in a snowfest is daft. It's obviously the trend in the past few years.

Lets see how much of a downgrade we get on the 12z.  Good roll on summer (we all know spring won't happen either lol :-D )

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, cyclonic happiness said:

See the East and mid-west of America is going into a deep freeze again, anyone who says there is no link between us being snowless and them being in a snowfest is daft. It's obviously the trend in the past few years.

Lets see how much of a downgrade we get on the 12z.  Good roll on summer (we all know spring won't happen either lol :-D )

Maybe? But I imagine there must have been times when the east and mid-west of the USA and the UK were both in cold and snowy spells at the same time? Though I admit there seems to be a link between cold weather there and mild weather here. I've heard that in the 70s the US had alot of cold Winters which corresponds to the UK having alot of mild Winters (6 in a row here) at the same time but then again i've heard Winter 1962-63 was cold in the US also (probably not as extreme by their standards as it was to us) and if I remember rightly wasn't Winter 2009-10 also cold in the US aswell as here? So maybe there is cold Winter there mild Winter here relationship, but I suppose there might be exceptions to that rule but it seems that it's perhaps only the more extreme examples (in our case) where both countries have a cold Winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Today's weather in wonderful winter Worcestershire:

Cold (max 5.4 °C). Gloomy. Damp.

Isn't it glorious?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

Today's weather in wonderful winter Worcestershire:

Cold (max 5.4 °C). Gloomy. Damp.

Isn't it glorious?

not been that cold here, 5.3C max, East wind in Feb, useless, may as well have 12C with Atlantic air

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heavy Rain

Snow chances reducing by each run.

roll on spring and the clocks going  forward

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A cool dry night with variable cloud giving some clear periods and a low of 0.7c, Currently it's dry with patchy cloud and a raw Easterly wind.

Temp 1.1c

Wind Chill -3.1c

Dp -0.2c

Wind N/E Avg 14mph

Rain 0.0mm

Posted

Stunning day out here.

20160214_103438_Richtone(HDR).jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Yep, it's a very nice winter's morning here as well: heaps of sunshine and that nice cold, crisp feel to the air. Vastly preferable to yesterday, that's for sure. Given that this is my second favourite type of winter weather (after the sort we don't get here any more...) I'm pretty pleased. If the next month produces more days like this, I'll take that.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Up to 4.8c already, strengthening mid Feb sun starting to have an impact despite colder upper air today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Snow just falling lightly here in Crich.... some very dark cloud heading this way..... could get something of a surprise some of us today and tonight..

• Like 1

Posted

roofs, cars, bin lids, pavements and roads starting to cover over now....

Posted

And stopped now.... just hope its a start of some over night fun.... get that lamp post ready...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Please blow the snow this way after you have had it :). Although I think down here we may be just the wrong side of marginal for now. Possibilities this evening though.

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 1

Posted

Yes could be some surprises tonight... very light snow blowing in the wind here now and the sun is out....

Posted

Some very light snow flurrys /ice pellets here. Been a grand day out walking with mainly clear blue sky's but with a cold East wind and the dew point remaining below 0 all day with raw wind chill.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Time for a positive post from me for a change!

Beautiful afternoon for a dog walk...so many other dogs out having fun, we have one sleepy lurcher now! This is the kind of weather we've been missing apart from the snow and ice.

Noticed the clouds building to the northeast a bit and wondered if people up that way might be in for something interesting. All it will do here is increase cloud cover and ruin the chances for a beautiful frosty morning tomorrow.

See...couldn't get to the end of the post without turning negative!

Hope the East Midlands and the Peak District see something anyway. Good luck!

• Like 2