Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

If it helps I have seen no falling snow in scandinavia yet! Currently in Oslo. Off to Stockholm next. It was beautifully sunny today and it is now bitterly cold around -2c. A few old snow patches lying around though. 

Will be off into Swedish Lapland within the artic circle in a couple of days. -20 to -25c likely Tuesday and hopefully a good shot at seeing the northern lights as skies clear, hence the absolutely bone numbing temperatures! :D

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Costa Del Fal said:

If it helps I have seen no falling snow in scandinavia yet! Currently in Oslo. Off to Stockholm next. It was beautifully sunny today and it is now bitterly cold around -2c. A few old snow patches lying around though. 

Will be off into Swedish Lapland within the artic circle in a couple of days. -20 to -25c likely Tuesday and hopefully a good shot at seeing the northern lights as skies clear, hence the absolutely bone numbing temperatures! :D

Got to admit that this Winter has got to hold little promise when even Scandinavia and central Europe have little in the way of snow. Besides from that the mood has kind of dropped a little since earlier this week with the weekend looking less snowy than some initially hoped. This Winter though isn't over yet and I suppose March and even at a push April could give us something (even if short lived) but you wouldn't bet your house on it and maybe it's time to just except that it's going to be the third Winter in a row with little snow for the Midlands and the country as a whole for that matter. Oh well next Winter's now only 9 to 10 months away, maybe that will give us a good cold and snowy spell.

Posted

Goodbye snow now heading as far south as possible,what a difference a day makes at least it`ll be dry.

brack0a.gif

The coldest spell of the winter coming even so going by the GFS with lots of Col or HP,maybe a battleground between 2 highs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A shower of sleet, then wet snow, in the last 15 minutes or so, just enough to put a thin layer of slush on the car windscreen.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes just pushing through here TM, A cold/raw feel out today with temp 0.8c

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Latest BBC forecast very underwhelming. Weekend drizzle then when the cold weather does arrive its bone dry until Wednesday then they have the Front coming in and giving us rain with maybe hill snow. Even with a NE we still can't get snow lol.

Edited by snowangel32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

It has been one of the poorest winters I can remember for snow not seen one flake and that's a first in my 25 years living here in the midlands.

Posted

Fairly heavy wet snow at the moment. It's just beginning to settle on the grass at 300 m and above.

• Like 1

Posted

No precipitation at all here, just grey murk. It seems that it doesn't matter what the synoptics, uppers etc are this winter, there is no cold air. I presume the North Sea is anomalously warm, so any easterlies will have to be colder. NW'lies have already failed again. Maybe a SE'ly (a virtually absent wind direction since 2014) is the one that can still do it?

Posted

Back from drive around west and south yorkshire and peak district.... Very foggy and icy until half an hour ago.... Sun coming out now.... Some lovely locally farmed produce for the weekend.... Thanks to holmfirth fish have some lovely mussels and scallops for tea.... Fire on as its 2c and need to warm up the house....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Well we have snow at last as I travel to Stockholm! Only a dusting but nice to see the ground white for a change. :)

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, beefy201 said:

It has been one of the poorest winters I can remember for snow not seen one flake and that's a first in my 25 years living here in the midlands.

My, that is poor. Has been poor here, too, though we've managed to muster a couple of snowfalls. February has usually been a month where you could be reasonably confident of seeing some decent snowfall, though hasn't been the case for a while.  Still a couple of weeks for something, and GFS has something of interest for mid-next week, but a bit far out though. 

Posted

so, how is the snow going to get out of happening this time?  No doubt the front will just barge straight east on wednesday, pulling in milder air behind it.  This really is the worst period of weather watching we've ever had!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
5 hours ago, beefy201 said:

Effectively the same here. I did see one sleet shower, but that was in Worcester so doesn't really count. No actual snow whatsoever. It's been a disaster the whole way through, and spring can't come soon enough for me now as I have absolutely zero confidence in any late-winter snow actually happening.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Very disappointing winter here as well, no snow on the Malverns at all! Today's been reasonable, cold, sunny and calm, quite nice to sit out in if you're wearing enough layers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, cyclonic happiness said:

so, how is the snow going to get out of happening this time?  No doubt the front will just barge straight east on wednesday, pulling in milder air behind it.  This really is the worst period of weather watching we've ever had!

wet day yeah, no doubt timed for the day and not the night

Posted

Very heavy little rain shower just blasted it's way through here. Bit of a surprise.

But it was just rain I'm afraid.

Posted

Well we have had an unexpected evening here in Stockholm. A few light flurries were forecast/possible but instead we've had some heavy snow showers. A few cm's were laid in about an hour and a half! Not bad! Really nice to see and have proper crunchy snow underfoot again. :D

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
3 hours ago, Costa Del Fal said:

Well we have had an unexpected evening here in Stockholm. A few light flurries were forecast/possible but instead we've had some heavy snow showers. A few cm's were laid in about an hour and a half! Not bad! Really nice to see and have proper crunchy snow underfoot again. :D

Costa you big tease lol, enjoy your holiday and copious amounts of snow. At least one midlander has seen snow here.:drinks::clap:

Posted

A thin snow cover here ( 0.5cm ) above 300m after snow showers between 0600 and 0630. I doubt it will last longer than mid morning though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I'll agree it has been a disappointing winter for snow, although we did get a couple of cm's of snow here on the 16th-17th January (see pic). Normally by this stage of the winter I have at least been able to walk around in deep snow up the Peak District but even up there the snow cover has been transient and never more than a light covering.

GOPR2561.thumb.JPG.137d874e583d261d3a25e

Posted

On the plus side, we have had some sunny days this week...giving me a bit of an appetite for Spring.

I think...think...I'm done with looking for any wintry weather now...I think....maybe...

...it's going to take all the Spring and Summer months to try and get some enthusiasm back ready for next winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Calm warm and sunny 😎

BBC teasing us with a bit of light snow Sunday night. :sorry:

It's just not going to happen is it.