Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England and East Anglia weather discussion/chat - 15th November 2015 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
1 hour ago, slater said:

If you think we're having mild weather think of USA, my mate lives in New York State and the weather is much like here in fact they are having temps in the mid teens and where he lives should only be around 4c. There local weather forecast carries this theme well into new year, and they could also have the warmest Christmas Day temp on record too!

So ways  things are going we could be having the same. We all just know that when we hit 1st March then the cold will start which is also widely predicted. So worth putting a tenner now on a white Easter I have!

It is very normal stuff to have a mild opener the current very mild weather here is to recede with maxima of 10C in London after Thursday with cooler nights. It still is a little above.

Over the next few days there seems to be abnormal warmth some 15C and above the norm for large swathes of North America as you can see by the graphic (the white colours) also Russia & Siberia are experiencing the same fate. It is to little surprise 2015 is likely going to be the hottest year on Earth in recorded history. I think the El Niño is the culprit. 

image.thumb.png.622d515eb6f20c0d47494db5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Lovely day with near unbroken sunshine for the whole day. It felt chilly too, a scary thought considering it reached 11C here today which is around 3-4C above normal.

Jeez

The model output for the weekend and into the start of next week is looking abysmal, fronts stranded over us for days on end with a mild south to south west feed dragging up plenty of moisture, simply put there could be a lot of rain :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

What a beautiful day, please can we have more days like today.

57 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Lovely day with near unbroken sunshine for the whole day. It felt chilly too, a scary thought considering it reached 11C here today which is around 3-4C above normal.

Jeez

The model output for the weekend and into the start of next week is looking abysmal, fronts stranded over us for days on end with a mild south to south west feed dragging up plenty of moisture, simply put there could be a lot of rain :(

And Saturday... 

Yep... The one Saturday the low just drifts in spins over us and slowly fills..

Few places showing some 40-45mph winds tomorrow to nothing major but will be noticeable ..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

10c around here and yet it feels a lot colder, how very strange.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Grey and mild again. 10.3C at 08.00. I've just got to post this morning's GFS 0z chart for Christmas Day. I haven't given up on a surprise Xmas present yet!!

GFS 850 10Dec for Xmas Day.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

No posts for 11hrs!!!! We all need something to liven it up a tad,dont look at me,grey this morning,and not alot will change throughout the day,all i want for christmas is a pattern change

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Well Well Well all is not lost for Christmas just yet, A mild lead up then a few days before a Cold blast could be just what we need :D

A N'ly/NE'ly around the 20th, let's see how this goes over the next day or two. At least we have something of interest to look at is nothing else for a few days in the MO

Oh and BTW if Mr Snowman said to me ppppsssssttt fella I can't bring you snow on Christmas Day but I can give you some light snow between the 20th and the 24th Dec if you want some but that'll be it for the rest of Winter..... I'd take it LOL

Edited by Kent Blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
1 minute ago, Bogman said:

Just cut the grass, again.

LOL Wow, what's the latest date you've cut your grass on previously?

It's crazy, the garden doesn't know what month it is, we have spring plants coming out in bloom and last summer ones still going. No doubt it'll have a knock on effect for Spring and Summer blooms though when the time is right!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Not a great day, just an endless grey day with spells of light rain and drizzle, the joys.

Rainfall amounts for this coming weekend have dropped off a bit, mainly due to the modelling of the frontal system has changed with a clear split in the rain band developing as a shallow low pushes through the UK allowing a weak ridge to cut between this and the parent low which squeezes out the precipitation somewhat.

Modele GFS - Carte prévisionsModele GFS - Carte prévisions

Modele GFS - Carte prévisions

There is still uncertainty over the track of this system, but even the worst affected areas are only seeing a couple of inches as opposed to 100-200mm predicted over the past few days.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
10 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Not a great day, just an endless grey day with spells of light rain and drizzle, the joys.

Rainfall amounts for this coming weekend have dropped off a bit, mainly due to the modelling of the frontal system has changed with a clear split in the rain band developing as a shallow low pushes through the UK allowing a weak ridge to cut between this and the parent low which squeezes out the precipitation somewhat.

Modele GFS - Carte prévisionsModele GFS - Carte prévisions

Modele GFS - Carte prévisions

There is still uncertainty over the track of this system, but even the worst affected areas are only seeing a couple of inches as opposed to 100-200mm predicted over the past few days.

Which will no doubt be a relief to those in the north west; thanks for posting these outputs, Matt.. 

Changing the subject slightly, yet still staying with matters meteorological, am I the only regional Netweather member who normally finds themselves hating incessant gloom, drizzle and unseasonable mildness who's trying to convince themselves that they love it really, and that clear, crisp, frosty days and newly-fallen snow are awful?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Well its official,winter is the new spring,been out and about in the taxi to various places today,and on 2 occasions i have seen daffodils in bloom,all i need is to see a swallow!!!

• Like 1

Posted

When it is gloomy and drizzly, it is very hard to find anything good to say, on the other hand if it is sunny then it isn't too bad. There are mild winter months which I do consider to be good months, February 2008 is a good example.

On the flip side there are certain cold set ups that I really do not like, I didn't like February 2013, it was just cold and cloudy for a good part of the month, just pointless, a few snow grains doesn't make you feel any better.

I think there is more too it than disliking or liking a certain temperature range, other factors also count. Personally I rate sunshine amounts more than temperature during this time of year.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted

I have Knocker's infamous daffs wanting to make an appearance.

Currently a tropical 11C due to south westerlies of warm origin...it seems to me a pattern change is emerging further afield. I'm sticking my neck out and I'm going for a substantial cold spell into the new year as we enter 2016. :)

Meanwhile these astonishingly mild temperatures linger on currently it's accompanied with moderate rain lovely & festive! 

image.thumb.jpeg.0970f5e333bde4d2cc47a43

Posted
25 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

When it is gloomy and drizzly, it is very hard to find anything good to say, on the other hand if it is sunny then it isn't too bad. There are mild winter months which I do consider to be good months, February 2008 is a good example.

On the flip side there are certain cold set ups that I really do not like, I didn't like February 2013, it was just cold and cloudy for a good part of the month, just pointless, a few snow grains doesn't make you feel any better.

I think there is more too it than disliking or liking a certain temperature range, other factors also count. Personally I rate sunshine amounts more than temperature during this time of year.

I utterly agree.  It's the seemingly endless half-light, even around midday, especially if it's combined with drizzle.  Like you, if it's going to be exceptionally mild at this time of year, at least it could be bright.  I'm not asking for wall-to-wall sunshine, but it would be nice to have a few sunny intervals.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 2

Posted

Starting to get really impatient with this winter, think because was spoiled in 2009, 2010 then the last 2 winters before this one we didn't even get a covering of snow! 

Fingers are crossed for a cold spell and decent snow at some point this winter! Now feel that may have to wait to mid january at least! 

Hope we get a miracle and something happens before the new year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Well it's raining again and it is mild again and I'm fed up of this super duper weather again.:angry: In a desperate attempt to make my garden look like a winter wonder land, I used my cheapo snow making machine, or should that be, mash potato making machine?:oops:If you want to make your garden look like it  is covered in mash, then buy a cheap one, oh and watch the forecast too, I forgot and now have a garden full of soggy potato super duper:wallbash:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Love it Lassie23!! I've got a great mental picture of your garden. As a lad I tried using a household cleaning product spray full of water and squirting it out of my bedroom window to try and get the spray to freeze by the time it hit the ground! (Didn't work). Later in life I investigated buying a real snow cannon so in frosty weather I could run it overnight. Found a second hand one in the US for $1,500 but Mrs Blessed read me the riot act. :nonono:

I'm hopeful the models are sniffing out a cold northerly plunge during Christmas week. Hopefully that will co-incide with the festive period - even a good frost on Christmas Day makes it feel, well, festive! :)

Chucking with rain here at the moment as a heavy band of showers moves through East Anglia. 9C.

Rainfall Fri11Dec.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Love it Lassie23!! I've got a great mental picture of your garden. As a lad I tried using a household cleaning product spray full of water and squirting it out of my bedroom window to try and get the spray to freeze by the time it hit the ground! (Didn't work). Later in life I investigated buying a real snow cannon so in frosty weather I could run it overnight. Found a second hand one in the US for $1,500 but Mrs Blessed read me the riot act. :nonono:

I'm hopeful the models are sniffing out a cold northerly plunge during Christmas week. Hopefully that will co-incide with the festive period - even a good frost on Christmas Day makes it feel, well, festive! :)

Chucking with rain here at the moment as a heavy band of showers moves through East Anglia. 9C.

Rainfall Fri11Dec.jpg

Sadly, the latest outputs are showing a blowtorch south-southwesterly for the 25th, with 2m temperature anomalies 7C or so above average.  Our daffodil-loving friend may be able to get his outdoor cooking apparatus set-up in his garden as he's been threatening to do! 

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 1

Well all I am going to say is what a grim outlook..

The jet well and truly fueling over weather in the run up to Christmas.. I warned people back in October and early November this would happen.. 

If wind and rain is what you like get set for it... It is all because of the extreme temperature contrast in the Atlantic between the 2 air masses..

Even boxing day and beyond so silly charts fueling some very deep lows heading are way.. Im starting to get a bit of De ju vu here..

Netweather GFS Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

It was quite refreshing that i'm not the only stupid wearing winter clothes when it's so warm I could sunbathe, I almost hugged another mum wearing a hat, gloves and ugg boots this morning. /sarcasm off.

Anyways as I hardly ever have seen the white stuff over any Christmas I'm not overly surprised that it will probably be windy and rainy and my bubs xmas eve surprise with be ruined. made my day that has.

:aggressive:

Edited by Dami
  • Like 2