Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

24th October 1995: squall line

Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I don't remember this one, but I was in Tyneside so no doubt the squall line became less potent as it passed over the Pennines.  The winds were southerly prior to the arrival of the squall line, a common occurrence during October 1995, though I recall that a cooler last week just prevented it from being the warmest October on record at the time as measured by the Central England Temperature.

• 4 years later...
Posted
On 24/10/2015 at 06:28, Weather-history said:

24th October 1995: squall line. Remember this, it was a very windy mild day and in the evening the squall line moved through with a couple rumbles of thunder and gusty torrential rain.

Nice to see John spend a few seconds on Ireland (Republic of) - these days they totally ignore it and only mention Northern Ireland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Remember this too, and the forecast mentioning 20C in places on that day.  Not quite that warm tomorrow but yes a similar feature is possible

Posted
On 23/10/2020 at 12:19, SummerShower said:

Remember this too, and the forecast mentioning 20C in places on that day.  Not quite that warm tomorrow but yes a similar feature is possible

1995-1996 was a good snow year for us both in the valleys and especially the mountains. The Feb 1996 floods were exceptional but I wasn't in Oregon then so never got to experience them. Little known fact though before those massive floods there was a brief but fashionable snow and ice storm that then quickly warmed up but not without causing issues of it's own!  Hopefully this is an analog! Was it also an election year?

Edited by SortingHat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
21 hours ago, SortingHat said:

1995-1996 was a good snow year for us both in the valleys and especially the mountains. The Feb 1996 floods were exceptional but I wasn't in Oregon then so never got to experience them. Little known fact though before those massive floods there was a brief but fashionable snow and ice storm that then quickly warmed up but not without causing issues of it's own!  Hopefully this is an analog! Was it also an election year?

Would love another 95/96 winter yes please election year was 97