Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Major Hurricane Patricia

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Been reading the same elsewhere. This is a disaster, its a major holiday area and no way to get people to safety and even if there was a lot of them seem to be saying they will ride it out - which is kind of difficult in a category 3+ storm, never mind a 200+mph monster.

Don't sustained wind-speeds of more than 200 mph make it a Cat 5? I'm feeling a tad 'thick' today! :oops:

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

Don't sustained wind-speeds of more than 200 mph make it a Cat 5? I'm feeling a tad 'thick' today! :oops:

Its so easily a Category 5, it would be a Category 7 maybe 8 if the scale went that high.

I was meaning that any Hurricane beyond a Category 3 is not something you can really safely ride out, never mind this record breaker.

Edited by cowdog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Cat 5 is 157mph+ sustained wind speeds, so it's well into Cat 5 territory!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Its so easily a Category 5, it would be a Category 7 maybe 8 if the scale went that high.

I was meaning that any Hurricane beyond a Category 3 is no laughing matter, never mind this record breaker.

:D That's why I suspected myself of being thick!

Edited by Ed Stone
was utterly unreadable!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Latest imagery. Still a perfectly defined eye, so I expect winds haven't changed much since recon left.

post-1820-0-20529500-1445604838_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Met Office blog: Record breaking Hurricane Patricia expected to make landfall over Mexico

http://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2015/10/23/record-breaking-hurricane-patricia-expected-to-hit-landfall-over-mexico/

Posted

Crazy to think people are deciding to ride this thing out. Best of luck to them. I don't fancy their chances.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Crazy to think people are deciding to ride this thing out. Best of luck to them. I don't fancy their chances.

agree i have just been watching that web cam above and a bloke and a young child have just walked through, total madness 40 ft waves and 200mph winds are going to be banging against the side of that building in the next few hours

Posted

been reading some articales about it ,one person said that the town floods in heavy rain but not to worry they have blocked the bottom of the doors ,another said she was prepared and taped the windows ,hotel worker said he had heard, there was a storm coming, but not to worry they had rooms that were safe ,anybody mad enough to intercept this

Edited by milkmaid

Posted

Reading stuff like that makes me sad Milkmaid. NOTHING is safe from winds of this magnitude. It's pure ignorance to think otherwise :(

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Is this being touted as the strongest storm ever? Or the strongest Hurricane ever?  Do we get stronger storms than hurricane cat 5s?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

Its perfect -

ullyc7C.jpg

DExFPfy.png

Edited by cowdog
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Surprised to hear of this going on to be honest.

Doesn't anyone find it very odd that this has developed so much within the space of a day? :cc_confused:

By the way, anyone who thinks they can ride out winds of 200-250mph are very uneducated unless they live in an underground storm shelter. Lets not forget that an EF5 tornado has winds of 201-234mph at ground level and look at how much damage they cause.

• Like 6

Posted

Surprised to hear of this going on to be honest.

Doesn't anyone find it very odd that this has developed so much within the space of a day? :cc_confused:

By the way, anyone who thinks they can ride out winds of 200-250mph are very uneducated unless they live in an underground storm shelter. Lets not forget that an EF5 tornado has winds of 201-234mph at ground level and look at how much damage they cause.

This is reminiscent of H. Linda. She rapidly intensified into a 180mph hurricane back in 1997.... tho turned into the open sea and dissipated. But I don't think its of any coincidence that these two intense and rapidly forming hurricanes each came in El Niño fueled environments. 

• Like 1

Posted

This is reminiscent of H. Linda. She rapidly intensified into a 180mph hurricane back in 1997.... tho turned into the open sea and dissipated. But I don't think its of any coincidence that these two intense and rapidly forming hurricanes each came in El Niño fueled environments. 

From MV

Michael Ventrice â€@MJVentrice 5h5 hours ago

Science behind Patricia's Record Break: One of the strongest El Ninos on record + strong CC Kelvin Wave/MJO passage

• Like 2

Posted

The only slight slight positive is that the Cat 5 winds are in a narrow band 15miles across the eye. Landfall location therefore becomes critical, lets hope the eye lands in a sparsely populated area. 

Edited by SxK
  • Like 2

Posted

First satellite image since sunrise showing Patricia

CSAdYW9WsAAR2eR.jpglarge.jpg

Beautiful but ugly is Patricia. Edited by Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

That area of Mexico is having quite a lot of violence and cartel problems at the moment (Puerto Vallarta aside). I dread to think how they will use this to their advantage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Midnight maybe?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

update 13 mins ago

CSAvHCTUkAE4X2p.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

I love watching these webcam streams. I can't wait until this evening when it makes landfall. I hope that everyone makes it out ok though I know many won't. I wish every bit of luck for those people.

• Like 1