Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

28 years ago today Michael's card was marked

knocker

Posted

Remember it well, we moved house that day. The removal van had problems getting to us. My car was damaged by fallen fences, and the property we moved in to had the felt roof removed by the wind. 

Not one I'm ever likely to forget to be honest.

Posted

I feel for Michael Fish on this one, can't think of anything more annoying than to have your professional reputation questioned because what you said was misunderstood or misrepresented. By all accounts he took it all in good humor or bit his lip. Now many years later we have much simplified weather terms and forecasts perhaps, because of people's disinterest in traditional meteorological terms, in many respects this is a pity.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

For those who know about weather, Michael Fish was never doubted.

For those who think that the 1987 storm WAS a hurricane, maybe they should pay a visit to the Gulf of Mexico when a real hurricane hits, then they'll truly know the difference.

It's pretty shameful how the BBC allowed the editing of what was actually said to go unchallenged. Michael was very dignified not to respond to the criticism of Bill Giles' script. :-)

I agree...I still remember that forecast clearly and, also, my comment to my then wife: 'A hurricane doesn't contain fronts; it's an intense depression.' But, guess what, all these years later, and folks are still accusing Michael of 'failing to forecast a hurricane'...

Still, folks would rather believe the cack that Madden et al churn out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

28 years since the general public's knowledge of weather (or lack thereof) was shown up big time...