Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First air frost watch season 2015-2016

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

ECM going for a couple of nights of sub-zero minima quite widely across Scotland and northern England next week. Further south with lows of around 3c we could see the first frosts on cars in colder spots!

Posted

Yes high chance I will record my first air frost of the season next week, courtesy of high pressure, cooler upper air temps and light winds. Indeed many places could record there first air frost by this time next weekend.

For here, mid October is usually when we record our first air frost, so quite normal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Ireland had it's first air frost since May 13th yesterday, getting down to -1.3C in Roscommon.

https://twitter.com/METclimate/status/653886849795158016

I've had minima of 0.2C and 0.6C yesterday and so far today, so getting close.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

second consecutive morning with air frost.

0.0c at 07:55hrs tuesday 13th october

0.0c at 07:25hrs wednesday 14th october.

• Like 1

Posted

second consecutive morning with air frost.

0.0c at 07:55hrs tuesday 13th october

0.0c at 07:25hrs wednesday 14th october.

An air frost is recorded when the temp is -0.1C or below, so it appears you have been close twice!

Edited by reef
  • Like 1

Posted

We've been done to 1'c a few nights here last week, never got below that though, but not far off!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

An air frost is recorded when the temp is -0.1C or below, so it appears you have been close twice!

yes i understand that, if another weather station centred 2 doors away recorded -0.1c then whos to say if it's close or it is in fact an air frost. very very marginal.

Posted

Had several nights down to 2-3 C, but havent got any lower yet. It just cant drop that extra bit for some reason, October frost is so hard to come by these days.

Nice to see such an anticyclonic October though, why cant August ever do this nowadays?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Had several nights down to 2-3 C, but havent got any lower yet. It just cant drop that extra bit for some reason, October frost is so hard to come by these days.

Nice to see such an anticyclonic October though, why cant August ever do this nowadays?

I can't speak for anywhere else, but the weather here has been cloudy the past few days and today we've had intermittent showers - so I'm glad August never turned out like this with a cool slack easterly wind bringing nuisance cloud and showers. What a waste of high pressure.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

3 air frosts here so far, got down to -3'C last night.

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted

I can't speak for anywhere else, but the weather here has been cloudy the past few days and today we've had intermittent showers - so I'm glad August never turned out like this with a cool slack easterly wind bringing nuisance cloud and showers. What a waste of high pressure.

We have had a lot of nuisance cloud during the day since Wednesday, but the nights have still been mostly clear. Is just that wind- yet again it refuses to go away day or night.

Posted

Still waiting on first frost in East Anglia, i'll probably be waiting quite a while to be honest.

Back home, according to my personal weather station it would seem that I've recorded my first frost on 13th October. Since then my station has recorded 2 other frosts, the lowest being -1c.

My mother said it was actually quite icy this morning, she had to defrost the car.

I doubt we'll get any more frosts this week though.

Edited by winterlover

Posted

What is it with Katesbridge and its consistently cold temps, is it a notable frost hollow? There are many places far further away from the coast and set within hillier valley territory that never seem to get close to Katebridge figures.. I've often wondered if the weather station is dodgy as it seems to produce temps far different to others nearby.. answers please..

I don't think it's dodgy. Nearby weather station's on wunderground record similar temperatures.

Posted

Yes, weather in East Anglia is quite a bit milder than back home.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Only one ground frost here. Lets go for December the 1st for the first air frost.

Not an exhaustive list, some missing data, but so far (to 17/10 incl.) league tables are something like -

Braemar, Katesbridge, Tulloch Bridge on 7 frosts

Aviemore and Loch Glascarnoch on 5 frosts

Lowest temperatures - Braemar -4.7°C (hourly values), Tulloch Bridge -4.3°C, Altnaharra -4.1°C, Kinbrace -4.0°C (hourly), Katesbridge (hourly) & Shap -2.5°C

Who will be the winners?

Posted
Should be looking at the first air frost by now but but have got nowhere close with 2.3C the low so far :nonono: Just pathetic given the high pressure and the fact that May managed -1.9C and June +1.9C with far shorter nights.

The earliest first frost I've had, in 11 years, was on 16th October 2012 which, historically, would have been about the normal date. Shows what a joke autumn's have become but even many recent years have seen lower than 2C by now despite being far cloudier, windier and low pressure dominated.

Many nights the temperature is just flat-lining even though it's clear and little wind. It's just ridiculously boring.

Edited by Richard2901