Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First air frost watch season 2015-2016

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Looking very likely somewhere in the countryside tonight could get very very close to an air frost. Already 8.4c here. 

Posted

I'd like to keep this thread more alive than current, especially given the outlook continues ripe for some spots to see there first air frost of the season. Would be good to know which places have seen 0 degrees or less so far this new season..

I'd like to keep this thread more alive than current, especially given the outlook continues ripe for some spots to see there first air frost of the season. Would be good to know which places have seen 0 degrees or less so far this new season..

The thread may be more alive if there were some frosts but there just haven't been very many.

Temperatures dipped below freezing on 5/9 at Cairngorm and Aonach Mor but haven't yet at other high level sites - Cairnwell, Bealach Na Ba, Glen Ogle or Great Dun Fell.

First low level frost appears to have been Altnaharra (Scotland) on 14/9 followed by Katesbridge (N. Ireland) 16/9 and Tulloch Bridge (Scotland) 19/9.

Ravensworth and South Newington gave England's first frost yesterday 27/9 (though Shap saw 0.0 on 17/9), don't think there have been any recorded in Wales yet (Llysdinam might have as has been close on hourly reports)....and while it is very possible that some values have been missed, that appears to be all so far.

Edited by Interitus
  • Like 1

Posted

The thread may be more alive if there were some frosts but there just haven't been very many.

Temperatures dipped below freezing on 5/9 at Cairngorm and Aonach Mor but haven't yet at other high level sites - Cairnwell, Bealach Na Ba, Glen Ogle or Great Dun Fell.

First low level frost appears to have been Altnaharra (Scotland) on 14/9 followed by Katesbridge (N. Ireland) 16/9 and Tulloch Bridge (Scotland) 19/9.

Ravensworth and South Newington gave England's first frost yesterday 27/9 (though Shap saw 0.0 on 17/9), don't think there have been any recorded in Wales yet (Llysdinam might have as has been close on hourly reports)....and while it is very possible that some values have been missed, that appears to be all so far.

Thanks for the stats. Yes uppers just slightly too marginal it seems for air frost, but many places haven't been far off. Had we a colder shot of air over the weekend, then many places should have seen one. Alas it doesn't look like this week will deliver much frost.

Always love the first air frost.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

A colleague's station in Chesham, Bucks got down to 0.2c the other night. It's a pretty notable frost hollow.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

A colleague's station in Chesham, Bucks got down to 0.2c the other night. It's a pretty notable frost hollow.

Not too far away from here, lowest we have had was  3.6c the other morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Lowest this month is 4.9C here. The low temperature recently has been achieved around 3-4am, because it gets foggy around that time so the temperature stops falling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

26th and 27th we got close to an air frost with a decent ground frost. Dropped down to 1c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

I noticed that South Newington reached -0.5C the other day, but I'm not sure if it's been confirmed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

A low of 2.8C in my back garden last night, the lowest I've noticed this month. It's getting closer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

-1.3C in Braemar last night having reached 24C yesterday. I suspect the biggest daily range this year?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring, Autumn, Snow ..... not, I repeat, not heatwaves!!

Was that where the coldest UK temp was recorded on one particular night in 2010? I'm guessing along The Vale area. I was living in Great Missenden at the time and internal pipes to the washing machine froze!

Last night adds Shap, Loch Glascarnoch and Redesdale to the list, and also Eskdalemuir - though they had missing data for a few days in the first half of September it is probably the first.

Braemar was -1.5°C last night and -1.3°C yesterday - from hourly values so min might be lower, otherwise the -1.6°C at Shap looks like the coldest so far.

• Like 1

Posted

Last night adds Shap, Loch Glascarnoch and Redesdale to the list, and also Eskdalemuir - though they had missing data for a few days in the first half of September it is probably the first.

Braemar was -1.5°C last night and -1.3°C yesterday - from hourly values so min might be lower, otherwise the -1.6°C at Shap looks like the coldest so far.

Shap is often the first station to record an air frost in England in the new season. Good chance we may see a lower temp tonight, temps here are colder at this stage than they were last night and we have a good chance of a ground frost at least.

Posted

6C at 1am here, so if things continue as they are we could well have our first ground frost (air frost has happened this early and earlier, but very rare).

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Frack me. Station might say 6C but it feels much colder outside.

Not what I'm used to feeling on 1st October although the air quality is so perfect that the stars really are lovely tonight.

Bring on winter!

Posted

We're at 4.5C, but the fog has rolled in so it's unlikely we'll get much lower.

An air frost here before mid-October is pretty much unheard of though.

Posted

6C at 1am here, so if things continue as they are we could well have our first ground frost (air frost has happened this early and earlier, but very rare).

Now 4.9C but the fog is rolling in, right on cue, so we can kiss goodbye to that idea.

Seriously, this area of the country is so prone to fog. It's annoying. Ruins our chances of frost and takes ages to clear.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Was that where the coldest UK temp was recorded on one particular night in 2010? I'm guessing along The Vale area. I was living in Great Missenden at the time and internal pipes to the washing machine froze!

Indeed it was!

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

I'm already down to 7C tonight.

(3C colder than last night at the same time).

Could tonight be the first night or will the fog come down very early?

Soon be seeing.  Its a beautiful clear night at the moment.

MIA

Posted

Capel Curig gets a frost for Wales last night -0.9°C

Katesbridge down to -1.8°C (from hourly values) is lowest I've spotted so far.

What is it with Katesbridge and its consistently cold temps, is it a notable frost hollow? There are many places far further away from the coast and set within hillier valley territory that never seem to get close to Katebridge figures.. I've often wondered if the weather station is dodgy as it seems to produce temps far different to others nearby.. answers please..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Been close a couple of times recently but last night recorded the first air frost of the season in my back garden, at -0.9C.