Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Perseid meteor shower

toggerob

Posted

Some cracking meteors seen during this mornings obs, 3 of which were bright enough to leave visible trails behind for a time. Activity slakened off somewhat at half 3 in the morning but overall I managed to see around 20 visual Perseids. Had the camera out but they were annoyingly falling where the camera wasn't pointing most of the time.

This bright Perside came down over the NE and left a substantial trail for a time, most likely one of the larger grain sized pieces, and the only one I managed to get on camera after 3 hours.

post-8763-0-34527400-1439290480_thumb.jp

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Well done SJ  :)

I watched for just half an hour at 1 am with very clear skies but

didn't see a single one.

B.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Great catch SJ

it was clear enough to stream live last night....Not sure, until checked whether anything was picked up

Streamed from 10pm till 3am last night which will be repeated tonight/ tomorrow night+

Worth a shot though....all other previous attempts have been stopped by overcast skies

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Well its a good clear evening here, Fingers crossed.

Posted

Should start to pick up nicely around 1am, clear skies here currently aswell similar to last night. 

Posted

saw a lot last night, from midnight through to 1.00am, about 1 every 3mins as an average.

3rd one I saw was pretty good, long trail lasted for several seconds, broke up into 3 or 4  clusters before fading, unfortunately the next hour was not as dramatic but great viewing.

another clear night so might pop out again.

Posted

Did a time-lapse last night but I had to point the camera in the direction of Ursa Major. I think I caught at least two Perseids. One at about 22.32 going through the Plough itself and a bright one at about 00.42am just above the roof of that house.

If it wasn't a Perseid, it was a bright sporadic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Saw a few last night, but cloudy here tonight. I heard it will be the best viewing since 2007, new moon etc and best night is tonight to see them ?

Having a go at seeing them tonight after seeing 2 really good meteors shooting across the sky last night without much effort looking. I'll attempt to get some photos.

I'm trying to get my brother to join me as I'm not 100% keen on standing outside in the middle of nowhere alone, especially as last night there was a large mammal clearly annoyed at my presence parked in the layby on the otherside of the wall boundary in the heathland - I think it was a red deer as I've seen them around that area in the daytime. It didn't sound too friendly!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold & dry or cold & snow but definitely not oppresive heat and humidity
I think it was a red deer as I've seen them around that area in the daytime. It didn't sound too friendly!

I can assure you there are no red deer in or near Dronfield Woodhouse. Roe deer probably but definitely not red. Might have been a badger though they can be noisy.

I can assure you there are no red deer in or near Dronfield Woodhouse. Roe deer probably but definitely not red. Might have been a badger though they can be noisy.

Sorry I should have been more specific. I was out on the Peaks last night next to the moorlands, just parked in a layby and ot of the car so I cold get used to the darkness and see the stars.

We do have a wild population near here http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/uk/up-where-the-red-deer-roam-2133444.html

I have no idea what it was, all I know it was a deep grunt from a large sounding animal. Could easily have been a badger, could have been something else - I wasn't about to nosey around and find out  :D

Edited by CAPE-steve

I'm heading up that way again tonight so if I hear the noises again I might investigate some more, or record the sound. I'll take a change of underwear too!

Posted

Screenshot fron last nights stream.....Not the best image ever posted but a start

post-12214-0-97077500-1439415616_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Got lucky here with clear skies tonight so had a quick watch before bed and saw around ten in the space of maybe 15mins before it seemed to die right off. Most were quite short lived or faint but two were quite bright. One of those left quite a wide trail, but only for a second.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Called it a night at 39. Had two fireballs, one of which left an impressive smoke trail that hung around for 5 seconds.

Posted

Capture from this mornings Perseid meteor shower...dont blink

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

Lay outside on the ground for an hour, plenty of big greenish meteors, quite slow and thick trails, a few super fast bright ones, and lots of little ones. Quite a few of the biggest were nowhere near the main point of origin, it was sometimes hard to get a good all-round view but it was more comfy to lie down than stand with my neck bent back that long. Good luck viewing tonight if you have clear skies.

• 11 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

It's that time again, Perseids predicted peak tonight.

This year meteor rates are expected to be higher due to Jupiters gravity nudging a denser part of the dust stream closer to us. Typically it's thick cloud and drizzle here, but good reports of meteors down south.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Nice and clear tonight and although a day after the peak have just seen half a dozen in the space of 15 minutes. One left a very vivid bright trail.

Edited by kar999