Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Eastern Germany (Berlin) Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Probably makes sense I have a German weather thread here!

I can only speak for East Germany, specifically Berlin but overall it has some similar themes to the UK climate except hotter in the summer and colder in the winter. Generally it is dry except during the summer when we get rain from thunderstorms. It can be changeable and cool even in summer when we get a NWly or Nly wind. We can get some very high temperatures in summer and in general it is far warmer than the UK - especially compared to my old home of Nottingham. It is definitely sunnier than the UK with us mostly missing out on Atlantic weather systems (although not all the time).

Winters are colder but snowfall is not that common as it is very dry. You can get some very low temperatures sometimes although it doesn't normally last very long. Low cloud is very common November-January and you can go weeks with no sunshine and temperatures hovering around -1 to 2c. Pretty dire and no wonder the summer-winter mood contrast in the city is so extreme. Once into late Feb the sun can burn off the cloud and dry, sunny weather is common.

This summer has been changeable during June & July with some cool & damp sub 15c days under NWly winds but also some extreme heat with our hottest day being just shy of 40c.

August has started hot and is set to remain so with maxes around 28c-35c for the foreseeable future. Friday we're expecting 38c before a 'cool' off to 32c on Saturday.

• Like 2

Posted

I suspect the difference between Nottingham and Berlin in summer magnified slightly by the fact that Berlin is currently having a very warm one. The fact the all time record was hit early on in July at 40.3C - warmer than July 1983 and August 2003 shows how exceptional it is. All of the heat which has hit Germany over the last few weeks has just evaded us in the UK.

A look at the stats suggests is actually pretty similar to London Heathrow on average, with about 1630 hours of sunshine a year and similar sunshine hours and temps for each month.

I think you've just happened to go when they're having their equivalent of a 1976/1995/2003 type summer! Its definitely a different climate overall as you've said though, less Atlantic dominated for sure.

Edited by reef
brainfade, put UK twice
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yeah for sure its been a hot one. Well actually up & down as between the hot bits its been showery and windy at times. 

It does feel different though as last summer was also far warmer than I'm used to even if most of August was low 20s not high 20s. I think its also been magnified by me living in a top floor apartment that takes the full force of the sun - my balcony is south facing and i'm getting bumper pepper crops (like 5 per week). Back in Nottingham I lived in a shady cold house where you could end up with the heating on from September to June. As for peppers - I got 2-3 the whole season!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany

Interestingly I notice the same sort of differences between my UK location and my German one.  In both cases we are in dry regions with the German location just a tad more dry at around 500mm per year.  Our house is in the western slopes of the Rhine valley in the Pfalz wine producing area.  Fairly notable is greater sunshine hours in summer in Germany and the occasional hefty hail storm although being right on the western facing slopes (at around 200m altitude), we are quite sheltered.  Summer temperatures are notably higher in our German location (can be 40c every couple of years) with our south facing garden at the front being arid and usable only really as a stone garden with plants that can take those sort of temperatures and conditions.  Ideally a  winter garden - which would be unthinkable even in our Anglian UK location - would be on the north side of the house or under partial shelter from herbage in summer.   Winters are a tad colder, but nothing like as cold as Berlin.  The temperature though can easily be cold enough in winter for Atlantic fronts - which are still active as we are well west by German standards right on the French border - to drop precipitation as snow. Often rain turns to snow in the Voges to the west of us and stays as snow except right on the Rhine which has quite a notable localized warming effect.  The deepest single snowfall this winter was circa 20cm in our German location and I think none in the UK.

Interestingly I notice the same sort of differences between my UK location and my German one.  In both cases we are in dry regions with the German location just a tad more dry at around 500mm per year.  Our house is in the western slopes of the Rhine valley in the Pfalz wine producing area.  Fairly notable is greater sunshine hours in summer in Germany and the occasional hefty hail storm although being right on the western facing slopes (at around 200m altitude), we are quite sheltered.  Summer temperatures are notably higher in our German location (can be 40c every couple of years) with our south facing garden at the front being arid and usable only really as a stone garden with plants that can take those sort of temperatures and conditions.  Ideally a  winter garden - which would be unthinkable even in our Anglian UK location - would be on the north side of the house or under partial shelter from herbage in summer.   Winters are a tad colder, but nothing like as cold as Berlin.  The temperature though can easily be cold enough in winter for Atlantic fronts - which are still active as we are well west by German standards right on the French border - to drop precipitation as snow. Often rain turns to snow in the Voges to the west of us and stays as snow except right on the Rhine which has quite a notable localized warming effect.  The deepest single snowfall this winter was circa 20cm in our German location and I think none in the UK.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Rather or weather in berlin last week. Cloudy and not that warm. I know it's Hot and sunny now though. But it does demonstrate thatgermany is certainly not immune To the dreaded north westerly and northerly either. It was quite cold a couple of nights last week.

Posted

Rather or weather in berlin last week. Cloudy and not that warm. I know it's Hot and sunny now though. But it does demonstrate thatgermany is certainly not immune To the dreaded north westerly and northerly either. It was quite cold a couple of nights last week.

Absolutely - we had several weeks of it during June & July and during last summer too (last August was never that warm). All last week was cool but I'd gone to the UK for that entire period so definitely skewed my impression! 

Feel like I'm looking at the 10 day forecast for southern Spain...

post-94-0-64661500-1438845485_thumb.png

http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/zmw:00000.1.10389

Posted

Absolutely - we had several weeks of it during June & July and during last summer too (last August was never that warm). All last week was cool but I'd gone to the UK for that entire period so definitely skewed my impression! 

Feel like I'm looking at the 10 day forecast for southern Spain...

attachicon.gif2015-08-06 08_15_40-Berlin Alexanderplatz, Germany Forecast _ Weather Underground - Opera.png

http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/zmw:00000.1.10389

Thats an average max of 9C above average over the 8 days at this point in the month. Quite exceptional weather!

The equivalent in Nottingham would be 8 days averaging 31C.

Posted

And given its been 28-33c since Saturday now even more exceptional! 

Don't think Nottingham has ever had 8 days averaging 31c.. Perhaps 2006.. but even then it was more low 30s rather than mid to high 30s.

Posted

27c by 0830... stinking hot it is! Even next Friday is still 36c maximums. Quite some weather!

Posted

39,2°C here in Mannheim area right now...

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=mannheim

Edited by Knoxgar

Posted

37.5c here right now. I think some cloud around lunchtime probably just held it back from hitting a record. Still its roasting none the less!

And to think I thought my 33.9c record in Nottingham back in 2006 was hot... That's just normal now!

Posted

37.5c here right now. I think some cloud around lunchtime probably just held it back from hitting a record. Still its roasting none the less!

And to think I thought my 33.9c record in Nottingham back in 2006 was hot... That's just normal now!

yeah, there was some outflow from the storms in northern germany which affected your area...we just hit 39,9°C under 100% sun

http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/zmw:00000.1.10729

EDIT: right now 40,6°C

2n856kx.jpg

Edited by Knoxgar

Posted

official station temperatures:

40.3 Kitzingen 40.3 Bad Nauheim (MG) 40.2 Bad Mergentheim Neunkirchen 40.1 Obermoschel 40.0 Heilbronn 39.8 Mannheim 39.8 Bretten 39.7 Ihringen 39.7 Mannheim-Flugplatz 39.7 Bad Muenster am Stein-Ebernburg 39.7 Bad Orb 39.6 Frankfurt-Westend 39.6 Ladenburg 39.6 Bensheim 39.6 Darmstadt 39.5 Waghaeusel-Kirrlach 39.5 Freudenberg/Main-Boxtal 39.5 Darmstadt (DWD) 39.5 Bad Kreuznach 39.5 Lahr

Several 41+ readings in Mannheim area (also state owned, but no DWD stations)

• Like 1

Posted

Into week number 2 we go with our unending heatwave...

post-94-0-85128900-1439124831_thumb.png

Posted

Another 10 days with a mean max of 32.0C. I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the warmest months on record in Berlin, even July 1983 only had a mean max of 27.0C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Well this is a contrast to last them I was in Berlin. Tomorrow night and Wednesday night is the peak of the Persiods meteor shower. I'm having s trouble finding a reliable forecast for cloud cover for both those nights. Any ideas or any good websites for this part of Germany. The bbc is gong for cloudy and 25 degrees Wednesday, all others keep it mostly sunny and hot.

Posted

I just use http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsgfsmeur.html for my info on this part of the world. Cloud cover is so hard to predict though. But it does seem what little cloud cover we do have is around in the afternoons.

Very hot today, didn't drop below 24c and it's 30c already on my balcony with 36c predicted. 'Cooler' tomorrow/Thursday only around 31c but back to 37c on Fri. Bit of a cooldown comes after the weekend with average temps (24c) on Monday - that'll be a shock! Doesn't last though before heating up again soon after.

Posted

Odds on today for our first maximum below 27c since 31st July. A big frontal system lies to our south and is dumping huge amounts of rain over the country. We're on the northern edge so it is just cloudy with temps in the low 20s. 

The 30+ temps are behind us now I think but we return to the mid to high 20s from tomorrow.

post-94-0-69690900-1439892227_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Do you speak the lingo Bottes? I'd seriously consider moving to Berlin, not just for the weather either. Just can't speak German.

Good thing you're not in Nottingham - dreadful stuff we are having to endure here. Think you made the right decision decision moving.

Posted

I know some bits of German and I am learning. But you can get by easily without any German in this city. A lot of ex-pats, social events and such. The history of the city (Allied occupation and such) means the locals are very used to non-German voices. It's a really fun place to be - especially in summer. So much going on and very very chilled out.

Glad to skip the endless cloud & damp of Nottingham that's for sure. I don't need an endless summer - but do at least need something that lasts more than a few days here & there!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

There ends a very hot month!

My statistics are not likely to entirely match official stations but from my checks are not that far out so here we go...

Max: 37.5c, 

Min 12.8c

Overall average: 24c

Average max: 30.1c

Average min: 19c

Days under 20c = 0

Days 20 - 25c = 3

Days 25 - 30c = 13

Days 30 - 35c = 9

Days over 35c = 6

post-94-0-23248900-1441101755_thumb.png

Hottest month I've ever experienced!

• Like 1

Posted

There ends a very hot month!

My statistics are not likely to entirely match official stations but from my checks are not that far out so here we go...

Max: 37.5c, 

Min 12.8c

Overall average: 24c

Average max: 30.1c

Average min: 19c

Days under 20c = 0

Days 20 - 25c = 3

Days 25 - 30c = 13

Days 30 - 35c = 9

Days over 35c = 6

attachicon.gif2015-09-01 11_01_49-Schöneberg Weather _ Personal Weather Station_ IBERLINB55 by Wunderground.com _ .png

Hottest month I've ever experienced!

To give some idea of how extreme of a month it was (compared to Berlin 1971-2000 averages):

Mean Max: 30.1C (+6.5C)

Mean Min: 19.0C (+4.9C)

Mean: 24.5C (+5.6C)

Its probably their equivilent of July 2006 here, it'll be interesting to see if it is their warmest month ever. As a summer lover, you certainly picked a good year to be there.

Posted

Yes very extreme indeed but for the most part very enjoyable. Lots of time spent in lakes & outdoor events - stuff I could never dream of in Nottingham. Well not with any degree of reliability anyway.

Think the chance of a repeat next summer is slim however!