Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Who is your fave BBC weather presenter?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

anybody know why he left  :cc_confused:  :cc_confused:

I saw him on Al Jazeera (the only English Language tv option in my hotel) when I was in Antwerp at the weekend.

Posted

anybody know why he left  :cc_confused:  :cc_confused:

Cost-cutting excercise in 2010 saw several of the more experienced forecasters removed from television screens - Rob, Phil Avery, Tomasz, Peter Gibbs (except News 24 late at night when - as he put it himself - he wouldn't frighten the children). Peter and Phil stayed on. Tomasz took redundancy but was rehired a couple of years later. Rob went back to Meto HQ for about 18 months but then did other things. He's been at Al-Jazeera since late last year.

I saw him on SKY tv weather a few months ago.

Really? That was not one of the alternative avenues he explored.

Posted

Cost-cutting excercise in 2010 saw several of the more experienced forecasters removed from television screens - Rob, Phil Avery, Tomasz, Peter Gibbs (except News 24 late at night when - as he put it himself - he wouldn't frighten the children). Peter and Phil stayed on. Tomasz took redundancy but was rehired a couple of years later. Rob went back to Meto HQ for about 18 months but then did other things. He's been at Al-Jazeera since late last year.

Really? That was not one of the alternative avenues he explored.

As it was on sky I was just flicking through ah that's the one Al-Jazeera,still all part of what I call the sky package.

Posted

Never beat Rob McElwee for me.A big miss.

Edited by joggs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

For me it is John Hammond. He just explains things right. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

my personal favourate is John Hammond.

Helen Willetts - 2 out of 10, she makes it too obvious shes reading from a script.

Jay Winn - 5 out of 10, displays too many nerves, swallows a lot during week ahead forecasts

Thomas Schwar - 5 out of 10, moves around too much, is known for most bloopers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

my personal favourate is John Hammond.

Helen Willetts - 2 out of 10, she makes it too obvious shes reading from a script.

I'm almost certain none of them read from a script.

Posted

Quite right no one on BBC reads from a script, they may be told in their earpiece as they go on air that their time slot has changed, usually down, so it is a hard job to get it right to a split second. Only rarely do they not manage that. Pretty impressive really.

Posted

No contest.... :p

hiding from the wife

not surprising if she sees you with photographs like that!

I dare you to send it to the Breakfast team and get them to show Carol but without the viewers being able to see it!

• Like 1

Posted

Quite right no one on BBC reads from a script, they may be told in their earpiece as they go on air that their time slot has changed, usually down, so it is a hard job to get it right to a split second. Only rarely do they not manage that. Pretty impressive really.

This morning on R4. Over to Louise for the weather. Louise, " A complicated picture this morning and I only have 45 seconds but I'll try and fit it in". Quite ridiculous and par for the course for the BBC.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted

For me its Chris Fawkes, followed by John Hammond., Watching Chris Fawkes forecasts leading up and during a cold snowy spell will be more enjoyable as whilst he tries to hide his excitement for something cold and snowy on the way, he does it in a way which shows he's very much a cold and snowy weather fan and does not tend to go down the line of cold and snowy weather is all doom and gloom.  

John Hammond is another one I like, straight forward and again, a cold weather fan although he does not express it as much as Chris does(think i even hear him include words of "i'm afraid"  during a snowy period) but you can see he tries to hide his excitement when he hints at possible cold weather on the way. 

Other forecasters I rate include Peter Gibbs, Helen Willetts and Sarah Keith Lucus. I can't stand much for Tomasz, it just seems to be about "look at me" type with all his movements all over the place and the slip ups he tends to make although his reaction to the infamous "you got a frozen ball there" was pretty amusing.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Still Bert Foord...Or perhaps Jack Armstrong? Apart from Helen Young and Suzanne Charlton - none of the new lot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

I grew up with Ian McCaskill. In those days there were only 4 channels and the TV weathermen (they were all men) were minor celebrities. He even had his own spitting image puppet. I rarely watch a TV forecast these days.

Edited by Yarmy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snow, hurricanes

strictly come dancing carol now. bill g and michael f when i was younger

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

The weather forecasts from W1A appear on BBC1 in the 1,6, 10 news are done by the UK weather presenters in London and thereis no autocue, it is all presented using the graphics  in the camera head as an aide

For the nations and regions, who do the more local weather this may vary but there are a number of presenters who just talk and some who use autocue like the news readers do, it's live

Elizabeth Saary has left now I saw her at Nina'a leaving do. Nina has gone to be a Maths teacher but will do BBC tunbridge wells sometimes. Is Rob McElwee doing Al Jazeera? Helen Young is doing some work for the Weather Channel UK 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn & Mild

Giles, Fish, McCaskill, Kettley, McElwee were my favourites back in the 80's & 90's. Only watch my regional forecast so Sara Thornton & Alina Jenkins are up there.

Edited by Weatherman_93

Posted

Perhaps with the news that the met office has lost the contract from the Beeb, this will be who was your favourite weather presenter? :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

Perhaps with the news that the met office has lost the contract from the Beeb, this will be who was your favourite weather presenter? :(

What will happen now then?! Will they all get sacked? Who will do the new forecast? Netweather should bid for the contract! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Rob Mcelwee hands down! Bring him back i say.

John Hammond i enjoy too, loves the cold and snow.