Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Who is your fave BBC weather presenter?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

We all know about Eno in the North West...

I saw Eno mentioned and I thought it must be a least favourite thread.

She has reached legendary status in the north west over recent times but it's for all the wrong reasons.

My favourite would have to be Elizabeth Saary although not on much these days but even the most disappointing looking chart looks brighter with Elizabeth stood in front of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Helen Young. :D

Yes, I was once interviewed by her for a programme on Radio 4 and she came across as a very down to earth and likeable person.

Of the current crop my favourites would be John Hammon and Peter Gibbs

From years past it would be Bill Giles and Rob McElwee.

On Radio 4 Bob Prichard was in a league of his own for knowledge, insight and all round excellence when he was a forecaster. That was back in the day when the forecast had a time allocation of about 3 minutes rather than the 30 seconds or so of today. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Like John Hammond for his involvement with Country File.

Used to Carol K in the mornings for the National forecasts.

Local? Alex Dolan/ Sara Thornton but it depends I suppose.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I guess Fred Talbot hasn't got any fans ..

Used to enjoy watching where's Fred but unfortunately we know know where he is every week now.

• Like 1

Posted

John Hammond by far....just comes across as a very likeable and knowledgeable guy on screen. Followed in second place by Helen Willetts.

Agree, best male John best female Helen, though she doesn't do many forecasts. I like John as he sticks his neck out and looks into the future, describing reasons for overall trends and patterns.

Carol Kirkwood forecasts are very dumbed down and often far too short, she never gets time to describe anything...

Locally we have Diane and Eno, both love mild weather especially in winter...Diane is far better though, Eno is a laughing stock always making mistakes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Agree, best male John best female Helen, though she doesn't do many forecasts. I like John as he sticks his neck out and looks into the future, describing reasons for overall trends and patterns.

Carol Kirkwood forecasts are very dumbed down and often far too short, she never gets time to describe anything...

Locally we have Diane and Eno, both love mild weather especially in winter...Diane is far better though, Eno is a laughing stock always making mistakes.

Shef 0za is the worst, she is rubbish and useless, heard some in NW thread don't like Dianne 0xberry and Eno Equator

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Easy one for me . Thomasz Shafernaker. Even if you know what the forecast will be you just never know what he will say or do in a way and i like that . Rob mcelwee I miss and Liam Dutton still seems just wrong in a way on channel 4 . Great job though

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

John hammond was brill,as was rob mcalwee,i also liked alex deakin,on the local front ron lowbeck? was awesome

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

My all time fav is Rob Mcelwee rob_1753413c.jpg

Currently its Tomasz Schafernaker

Same for me (both) :good:

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

:D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Yes, I was once interviewed by her for a programme on Radio 4 and she came across as a very down to earth and likeable person.

Of the current crop my favourites would be John Hammon and Peter Gibbs

From years past it would be Bill Giles and Rob McElwee.

On Radio 4 Bob Prichard was in a league of his own for knowledge, insight and all round excellence when he was a forecaster. That was back in the day when the forecast had a time allocation of about 3 minutes rather than the 30 seconds or so of today. 

I worked with Bob in the early days and he was my mentor. Enthusiastic forecaster , his radio presentation was very informative and excellent as you say.

C

• Like 1

Posted

Helen Young. :D

I get the feeling there was an issue between Helen Young and John Kettley. She took over as head of BBC Weather at the start of 2000 and John Kettley left later that year. Kettley the following winter made the infamous easterly prediction but what struck me was how Helen Young totally dismissed in a broadcast and preceded to show why. Was she trying to be dismissive of Kettley? I got that impression at the time that she was having a dig at him. She was backtracking somewhat by the end of that week.

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/72483-met-office-v-john-kettley-early-february-2001/

Posted

20 years ago today during the Summer of 95 Michael Fish uttered the words "If you don't like hot weather, then you're not gonna like this forecast one little bit." during this Countryfile forecast

• Like 1

Posted

I get the feeling there was an issue between Helen Young and John Kettley. She took over as head of BBC Weather at the start of 2000 and John Kettley left later that year. Kettley the following winter made the infamous easterly prediction but what struck me was how Helen Young totally dismissed in a broadcast and preceded to show why. Was she trying to be dismissive of Kettley? I got that impression at the time that she was having a dig at him. She was backtracking somewhat by the end of that week.

not the only spat that occurred with TV forecasters over the years

Posted

I thought the ill feeling was with Bill Giles not John Kettley...

Good to see some forecasts from a few years ago, nowadays very few forecasters stick there neck out and put any personality or originality into there scripts..

Forecasts were more measured focused less on the extreme, a 6 inch snowfall was merely passed away as a light snow you would expect to see in normal winter conditions, whereas today it would be discussed like it was something abnormal... same with any projected warmth... and all the health warnings, don't get me started..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

anybody know why he left  :cc_confused:  :cc_confused:

Edited by Boro Snow

Posted

anybody know why he left  :cc_confused:  :cc_confused:

I saw him on SKY tv weather a few months ago.

I like this current presenter,she`s just been on.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Nina Ridge presented her final forecast 15:27 today for the BBC she will still do occasional BBC southeast weather forecasts but her main job will be back to teaching maths part time

Edited by Summer Sun