Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 16/07/15 onwards

Posted

I would say I am in with a good chance of seeing some action tonight :-) that's brilliant because us in Lincolnshire always miss out .........*dons crash helmet* :rofl:

love it, lol.   i think you have a better chance than us down here, the grahics and forecasts i have seen just have light rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

you can tell that things have downgraded according to the models  , not by the posts in here but by the lack of them

I disagree to be honest....all the respected forecasters and posters are quite bullish about tonight......I think that the lack of posts at this time is probably more to with members working than anything else. I appreciate your own anxiety about storms so hopefully you won't see anything tonight, but I feel plenty other folk will see something tonight :)
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I'm not criticizing anyone here but models should not be discounted just because they don't show preferred outcomes

edit - seems to a be a focus of storms more across E/SE areas from late evening onwards met office only has light rain in early hours for my area

You have however quoted my post, which leaves me suspecting that you might criticising me for preferred outcomes....

I'm basing my model preference on the performance of both models in the run up to the event two weeks ago, which were extremely similar synoptic setups to this evening. GFS/NMM5 pretty much nailed it, while Euro4 and UKMO (for much of the time in respect of the latter) were hopelessly wrong. Therefore, I am tending to favour these two models. However, there are marginal differences between the two currently - the GFS preferring a large swathe of C/S and particularly SE England, while NMM5 tending to prefer areas slightly further west than GFS and keeping convective precip more discreet. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

Meteo Group "While not as potent as the setup we saw the Friday before last

The area of the UK most likely to see thunderstorms and quite frequent lightning is across the SE quarter, between 19:00 today and 02:00 on Friday morning. Gusty winds and hail may accompany a few of the storms."

Another one moving the risk more e/se joining the rest

Posted

love it, lol.   i think you have a better chance than us down here, the grahics and forecasts i have seen just have light rain

Met office has us for just rain but netweather plumping for 72% chance of storms in early hours. Obviously I am plumping for them lol. Think the sea air kills most storms off here so fingers crossed we can get a good one tonight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

You have however quoted my post, which leaves me suspecting that you might criticising me for preferred outcomes....

I'm basing my model preference on the performance of both models in the run up to the event two weeks ago, which were extremely similar synoptic setups to this evening. GFS/NMM5 pretty much nailed it, while Euro4 and UKMO (for much of the time in respect of the latter) were hopelessly wrong. Therefore, I am tending to favour these two models. However, there are marginal differences between the two currently - the GFS preferring a large swathe of C/S and particularly SE England, while NMM5 tending to prefer areas slightly further west than GFS and keeping convective precip more discreet.

I thought you might take that personally it was not my intention to offend and I apologise if I have done so and also for using you post as it does seem I was aiming it at you which is something I was not intending to do

Edited by Gordon Webb

Posted

Met office has us for just rain but netweather plumping for 72% chance of storms in early hours. Obviously I am plumping for them lol. Think the sea air kills most storms off here so fingers crossed we can get a good one tonight

fingers crossed, would be good to have another decent storm, camera at the ready, lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Big storm!

I'm cautiously optomistic - the relative quietness of this forum compared to last week has me feeling a little confident to be honest

Currently forecasted to be either right in it, or very much just outside of it. Estofex are having a laugh though aren't they

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Its a case of just wait and see isnt it I think tonight. Get the radar on from 8pm or so and keep looking until about 2-3am lol. Hmmm why does that sound familiar lol.........

I hope we get a similar setup to the 3rd July as overnight the storms were in a big line going north werent they and most ppl who wanted something got it! We shall see :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

I'm cautiously optomistic - the relative quietness of this forum compared to last week has me feeling a little confident to be honest

Currently forecasted to be either right in it, or very much just outside of it. Estofex are having a laugh though aren't they

I doubt if ESTOFEX are having a laugh. They issued a Level 2 for N. England for July 1 and were spot on with their forecast of large hail and severe wind gusts and were spot on! On many other occasions on both sides of the channel their forecasts have been very accurate. Those guys know what they are talking about.

• Like 1

Posted

I doubt if ESTOFEX are having a laugh. They issued a Level 2 for N. England for July 1 and were spot on with their forecast of large hail and severe wind gusts and were spot on! On many other occasions on both sides of the channel their forecasts have been very accurate. Those guys know what they are talking about.

agreed - of course they're not going to arbitrarily stick a Level 2 over the S-East

they'll have carefully considered it - and like you said from past experience they are often spot on

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Big storm!

I didn't mean to inflame the situation - but the 1st of July if I remember correctly a big chunk of the SW/C had a level 2 on it and nothing materialised, but I could be wrong.

It just seems a little unlikely... but this is why I am being a little bit cautiously optimistic as when we've all got ourselves worked into a proper lather previously, it's been a total bust.

Warming up nicely over Watford at the moment

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

If we get anything here then I'll be buying everyone whatever they want out of the lottery money I'm winning Saturday.

In two minds...to charge cameras or not?!

Edited by tomp456
  • Like 2

Posted

If we get anything here then I'll be buying everyone whatever they want out of the lottery money I'm winning Saturday.

Charge it anyway - what's the harm?? I charged mine last night just in case.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snow, hurricanes

Charge it anyway - what's the harm?? I charged mine last night just in case.

i changed mine too! just in case

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Hehe...though an Estofex level 2 is out covering our region so somewhere will likely see something half decent. It'll be isolated rather than widespread IMHO. If this cloud/fog/clag/crap moves off then all the better. Charge the cams up, if you don't then you know you'll miss that supercell smashing through Sussex later.......

Hehe...though an Estofex level 2 is out covering our region so somewhere will likely see something half decent. It'll be isolated rather than widespread IMHO. If this cloud/fog/clag/crap moves off then all the better. Charge the cams up, if you don't then you know you'll miss that supercell smashing through Sussex later.......

Dude... The cloud now don't matter.. It will be dark when the storms come..  :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

I hope so.

Posted

Don't think there be any storms up here tonight (although possible who knows) the heavy rain might well be a issue though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Dude... The cloud now don't matter.. It will be dark when the storms come..  :)

Yes but some hot sun will really help elevate the storm potential...the hot clear air is moving across the channel towards us now :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

Pretty much clear skies here in Manchester at the moment. No sign of any convection as of now. I just hope that the mid-level clag which is forecasted for this afternoon will be delayed a bit, to help the storm potential.

Posted

Cloud cover is irrelevant for eastern areas, unless you are specifically praying for severe and/or surface based convective weather.

It is more critical further west however where MUCAPE is marginal at best, but GFS (for example) has been pointing towards some modest SBCAPE to develop later this afternoon. So, if you're in the west I'd be more worried about cloud cover/heating than if you're further east, where it is irrelevant