Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2015

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

5 year cycles are interesting, 2010 dry and cold with an infamous end, 2005 dry throughout and very mild but with a cold second half Nov, 2000 wettest on record, 1995 warm Oct, wet Sept, some snow in Nov, 1990 average, 1985 cold Nov snowy, 1980 early snow...

Mmm could be an interesting but who pattern matches!..

I would describe it as famous and legendary rather than infamous!!!

The memory will  live long and stay with me until the day I die, I will never forget it, one of my greatest moments as a weather (or shall I say cold) enthusiast.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow. snow and more snow

Repeat of another famous legendary weather event this autumn would be good- "the infamous hurricane!"(Obviously I don't want anyone hurt/suffering severe damage) but there's something very special about about sitting in the warmth of your bed listening to the wind howl! Can't wait for the cosy dark nights to return.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I know we'll probably never experience it again, but settling snow in October again would be cool...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I know we'll probably never experience it again, but settling snow in October again would be cool...

Am sure you will see it again as we are overdue an October snowfall ,I think it was the 90's we last had one!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Am sure you will see it again as we are overdue an October snowfall ,I think it was the 90's we last had one!

Here we had heavy snow in Oct 00.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Who said that? October 2008 saw snow in your neck of the woods.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Here we had heavy snow in Oct 00.

I don't remember it settling. We also had snow in October 2013 but it only lasted for like 5 minutes at 3am in the morning. Did settle on the wheelie bin lids though.

Posted

And October 2012?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Birmingham October 30th 2008 started off as a normal Autumn day and ended in Winter.

Morning rain 6c >>> mid/late afternoon 0c and heavy snow, overnight -3 with 2" of snow on the ground, ice snow still on the ground come next morning :)

Edit; best thing was that nobody saw it coming, even the Met'O said in the forecast for that day was "maybe a little Sleet for the hills"

And i know other parts of the UK had snow that day, even further South if i remember :D

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 1

Posted

I see Autumn and Spring as the transitional seasons so my ideal would be for them to reflect that. I.e my perfect Spring would be a cold start with a warm end, therefore my ideal Autumn would be a warm and sunny September followed by a cool, wet and stormy October followed by a cold dry and frosty November, with some snow at the end ready for a very cold and snowy Winter indeed.

Edited by WALSALL SNOW
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Had snow here in the last week of October back in 1999,if my memory serves me right.It was a really windy stormy morning and I remember seeing lorrys with the front of their cabs covered with snow,heading in from the Ashbourne area.

I'm sure you wont be wishing your life away and talk about spring and summer during the winter then?

LOL, great post highlighting the hypocrisy of the warmies, +1 like.

Edited by Eugene
  • Like 1

I would love some snow for November just like in 2010!

What I want

August: nice and warm

September: nice and warm

November: blizzards and snow, because I love chaotic streets.

Posted

Edit; best thing was that nobody saw it coming, even the Met'O said in the forecast for that day was "maybe a little Sleet for the hills"

And i know other parts of the UK had snow that day, even further South if i remember :D

Yes, the south had snow during the evening of the 28th October.  

For my location there was a slight covering, but other places like High Wycombe and I think parts of Hertfordshire saw in excess of two inches.  

I felt that event was a sign of things to come for the 2008-2013 Winter's!

• Like 1

Posted

Birmingham October 30th 2008 started off as a normal Autumn day and ended in Winter.

Morning rain 6c >>> mid/late afternoon 0c and heavy snow, overnight -3 with 2" of snow on the ground, ice snow still on the ground come next morning :)

Yes, the south had snow during the evening of the 28th October.

For my location there was a slight covering, but other places like High Wycombe and I think parts of Hertfordshire saw in excess of two inches.

I felt that event was a sign of things to come for the 2008-2013 Winter's!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I don't remember it settling. We also had snow in October 2013 but it only lasted for like 5 minutes at 3am in the morning. Did settle on the wheelie bin lids though.

Blimey when was that? Wasn't 2013 really mild throughout?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

same here that day 0C and heavy snow midday, even in town centre at 81m asl, did only lie temporarily

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Blimey when was that? Wasn't 2013 really mild throughout?

I meant 2012 - my mistake.

Posted

This is more like it, I come back from our holiday in sunny France, and an Autumn thread's open.

8-10 yrs ago, NW was heaving with snow watchers and LRFs one day after the Solstice - great fun!! Roll on Autumn/Winter 2015/16

Autumn's coming full steam in my garden already. The holly bushes and cotoneaster are heaving with green berries - a huge crop this year. Damsons are ripening nicely, acorns and hazelnuts are fattening up rapidly. Conkers are swelling by the day, apples everywhere.....all very encouraging.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Still got raspberries and cherries growing with spring flowers in full bloom so very much summer down here. Normally doesn't feel autumnal until late August, with the exception of last year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Jamstec is going for a below normal surface air temp anomaly this Autumn and above average precipitation

temp2.glob.SON2015.1jul2015.giftprep.glob.SON2015.1jul2015.gif

A sneak peak at winter also shows below average temps but precipitation is below average

temp2.glob.DJF2016.1jul2015.giftprep.glob.DJF2016.1jul2015.gif

The met office ens mean maps show above average 850's for Autumn with precipitation around average

2cat_20150701_t850_months35_global_deter2cat_20150701_prec_months35_global_deter

The met office ens maps only go 6 months in advance so no sneak peak for winter for a while yet

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

That's what I was referring to. That was a truly exceptional event, much like Dec 2010 was. Settling snow in October in southern Britain on low ground  - surely there aren't many instances in history of that? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

That's what I was referring to. That was a truly exceptional event, much like Dec 2010 was. Settling snow in October in southern Britain on low ground  - surely there aren't many instances in history of that? 

Unfortunately I have never witnessed it. Given that the London area saw some I was pretty unlucky.

According to this, most notably during the Little Ice Age, October snow in the south was commoner than some might think.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=winter-history;sess=

I hope it becomes more common again, the closest I've come to seeing it was a few minutes of falling snow in late October 2012 that rapidly turned to sleet and then rain. The earliest I have seen settling snow (that I remember at least) just scraped its way into Autumn 2010 on the 30th November, which probably sounds ludicrous to some people. I hate being in the south east sometimes.