Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 04/07/15 Onward - Heat & Plumes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Mate is that a bit of it right in front of you on the second image?! :o

I don't know but was instant thunder staight after,i needed a new pair of undies after it :laugh:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Mate is that a bit of it right in front of you on the second image?! :o

It's a double exposure i think?

• Like 1

Posted

If you look closely you can see a reflection or "copy" of the houses in the lower part of the frame.

It's a double exposure i think?

Agreed

• Like 2

Posted

Yes i can see that now,did not see it before,thanks for clarifiying.

Posted

Slap bang between moderate risk and slight risk... we'll see but not getting my hopes up for anything much tomorrow although a couple of rumbles would be cool!

looking good  for silverstone  a good  thunderstorm during the race that should make things more interesting!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

the one on wedenesday also trundled across gtr manchester, with a population into the millions,  wigan, bolton bury trafford etc , the city itself, then went on to pester yorkshire

Was about to say that! Skipton, Keighley, Ilkley have populations you know! I'm used to it, people say the same about my part of rural France too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring, Autumn, Snow ..... not, I repeat, not heatwaves!!

Wow, just a tad quieter in here this evening

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Some nice photos from last night's storm in Bournemouth from the local rag:

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/13370923.Flash_flooding_and_spectacular_skies_as_Dorset_hit_by__megastorm_/?ref=mr&lp=1

Love that the headline screams, "Megastorm"!

Partners son and the whole block of flats (ground floor) were flooded out in what could be a event once a century so guess fairly true.

• Like 2

Posted

Partners son and the whole block of flats (ground floor) were flooded out in what could be a event once a century so guess fairly true.

Crikey I've always dreaded flooding. I hope everything is ok. Certainly once in a something here on Wednesday night!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Already some Ac around here now and can smell the rain coming. I might be in with a shout of seeing something tomorrow but if not a torrential downpour will do me.

• Like 1

Posted

We didn't get any storms last night, but I thought somewhere probably would after these clouds passed overhead about 8pm!  Sadly the pictures don't really do them justice.

post-8245-0-51006600-1436045753_thumb.jp

post-8245-0-44910400-1436045762_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Quite lucky in Crawley West Sussex last night. It really did develop quickly over head and got more intense as developed moving towards South London. I saw the towers developing right over head and it was so quick. Just a few miles south they had nothing so just shows you how quick it can be. Saw some stunning CG strikes. Got alot more potent as it moved north

Posted

Ever wondered why lightning can be of many different colours? This thread might give you the answer:

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/83505-the-colours-of-lightning/

:)

Great link to the explanation! I sought the answer after a flight back from Greece a few years ago when I was above CBs which pink lightning!

Posted

Germany looks the place to be (or not!). Would suspect a news item featuring destruction over the next few days...

Posted

Ok heres my footage of this mornings storm,check from 7:50 :D if you don't want to view it all.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Not a great photographer but always like to get some video of good storms, a few grabs below from what was most likely the best storm I have ever seen.

Visiting family in West Wiltshire and headed up to a local highpoint and spend a few hours up there enjoying the lightning. At the peak, lightning being almost constant.

The storm was fairly discrete and it was great watching it drift north with the full moon finally coming out. Some fantastic structure visible as the lightning illuminated the storm. I have seen photos by others showing a wall cloud on the storm too.

attachicon.gifMVI_2038.jpgattachicon.gifMVI_2052 2.jpgattachicon.gifMVI_2052 3.jpgattachicon.gifMVI_2052.jpgattachicon.gifMVI_2057 2.jpgattachicon.gifMVI_2058 5.jpg

Forgive me if you're already up on this but if you have a camera with the capability (and I don't think it'll work using an iPhone app cos that 'spoofs' the effect) a long exposure at night with the right aperture and ISO settings - which I'm not exactly sure I can remember - are a great way to get images of night-time storm structure.

Ok sometimes it might not quite work but with luck it can be a useful technique.

The wall cloud shot is awesome - that storm in the daylight would have been very photogenic simply for the structure I'm sure!

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 1

Posted

Forgive me if you're already up on this but if you have a camera with the capability (and I don't think it'll work using an iPhone app cos that 'spoofs' the effect) a long exposure at night with the right aperture and ISO settings - which I'm not exactly sure I can remember - are a great way to get images of night-time storm structure.

Ok sometimes it might not quite work but with luck it can be a useful technique.

The wall cloud shot is awesome - that storm in the daylight would have been very photogenic simply for the structure I'm sure!

I still use a standard Canon camera I bought in 2008! It can do long exposures and all the ISO stuff and I have played around with it before with my tripod and got some lightning shots but I find it is so rare we get the great nighttime storms that when they do come around I just try and enjoy them and grab some video and take a few stills from that.

You are right though, long exposure photographs get you the pro pics, maybe something I will try if we are lucky enough to get another plume this summer!

I certainly need to upgrade to a better camera though, something that can take 1080pHD video for a start...

Am moving to Godalming in August funnily enough so fingers crossed we get a good late summer storm! :)

Posted

Allseasons-si

Bloomin' 'eck that was amazing - I'm surprised you were still standing after that! Great capture - thanks for sharing.

Edited by Erbyskerby
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Interesting Estofex warnings tomorrow. London are only within the 15% lightning zone, whilst most of the UK is under the 50%.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

My new phone has manual settings available, iso, exposure control up to 30 seconds and even saving as a DNG with no processing. It is possible to get some great lightning shots with it, but, only by continuous shooting. If you start doing long exposure shots with lightning, the fixed F1.8 aperture starts to cause a problem.. Far too much light. It's amazing in low light though, it blows a lot of p&s cameras out of the water!

It won't be too long before aperture control will be available on a phone, that day will be exciting! :D

Ps: Anyone got withdrawal symptoms after the last few days?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I still use a standard Canon camera I bought in 2008! It can do long exposures and all the ISO stuff and I have played around with it before with my tripod and got some lightning shots but I find it is so rare we get the great nighttime storms that when they do come around I just try and enjoy them and grab some video and take a few stills from that.

You are right though, long exposure photographs get you the pro pics, maybe something I will try if we are lucky enough to get another plume this summer!

I certainly need to upgrade to a better camera though, something that can take 1080pHD video for a start...

Am moving to Godalming in August funnily enough so fingers crossed we get a good late summer storm! :)

Haha yeah last night I was a total wuss and got too scared to gat many photos . Don't think I was well placed for it anyway as the lightning was above the cloud base mostly.

There are some great places to watch storms here - particularly along the Hogs Back and high up in some areas around Guildford. If we do get another good plume maybe I'll see u there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snow, hurricanes

i'll be in rollright with them stones

get up. its another summery day!

Posted

Visiting family in West Wiltshire and headed up to a local highpoint and spend a few hours up there enjoying the lightning. At the peak, lightning being almost constant.

Stunning Dave, were you up at Westbury White Horse?