Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat, July 4 and on...

Methuselah

Posted
1 minute ago, Geordiesnow said:

Problem is, as the low keeps on heading eastwards and as the NE is on the Northern flank of the low then with the winds coming in from the North Sea and air not all that cold then I would imagine the snow will turn back to rain unfortunately. 

That said, the NE is experiencing a 2nd transient snow event and I'm still waiting too see a flake so enjoy it whilst it lasts!

Yep, we've just got to hope it tracks a bit further south than were expecting towards the end. 

Your second paragraph hits the nail on the head, a lot of people haven't had anything yet so we should be glad of this few inches (definitely what were talking now - already a solid inch on the ground), even if it is washed out by tomorrow morning.

How bad are the roads in Durham and Teeside?

Posted

Seen quite a few radar images like this over the last few weeks and wished the rain was snow.

Well,today it is.:D

Over 2 inches of snow here now.

hiradarzoomv42.pl.thumb.png.fd50fe49fe9b

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Just a reminder the snow warning for Durham and Northumberland remains in place until 20:00

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings®ionName=ne&fcTime=1449878400

Posted
4 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Just a reminder the snow warning for Durham and Northumberland remains in place until 20:00

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings®ionName=ne&fcTime=1449878400

That include Tyne and Wear? If it keeps up this intensity until 8pm we're talking pretty serious depth - up to the 4 inches range. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

4 hours too late

IMG_20151212_140551.jpg

Edited by geordiekev
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold,wet & stormy

no snow on northumberland coast!! just rain!

Posted

just come back from xmas shopping in the toon, where it was snowing quite heavily and is a bit of a slushy mess, back home in Westmoor which is about 2 miles closer to the coast and its more sleety here.

Posted

Good to hear reports of snow in the NE, always a good spot for surprise snowfalls. Hoping we might see some back edge snow once the precipitation moves out the region, we are right on the borderline between snow and rain at the moment, snow this morning, rain past couple of hours. Cold air will be digging back in shortly so fingers crossed we might get a cover that sticks overnight and into the morning at least. Snow is a fickle thing, and today's event is a good example of the power of evaporative cooling.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Durham, Northumberland, Gateshead, Newcastle upon Tyne, Darlington, Stockton-on-Tees, Sunderland, North Tyneside, South Tyneside all covered by the updated snow and rain warning which now expires at 18:00 rather than 20:00

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?WT.mc_id=Twitter_Warnings_Rain&tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1449878400®ionName=ne

Posted
32 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

That include Tyne and Wear? If it keeps up this intensity until 8pm we're talking pretty serious depth - up to the 4 inches range. 

Not too far off that already up here :yahoo:

IMG_20151212_142338.jpg

IMG_20151212_140127.jpg

IMG_20151212_142821.jpg

Edited by geordiekev
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Lucky northerners. Spring here in the south west portion of the country at 13c with a number of plants re flowering here!

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted
1 minute ago, Costa Del Fal said:

Lucky northerners. Spring here with a number of plants re flowering here!

Depends what northerners you mean. So your getting plants flowering I could be filling a pond. Where 5 miles up north there building snowmen.

Don't you just love weather lol. 

Posted

Just back from a cracking walk, roads getting a tad snowy now though I did see a plough a short time ago.

Totally un forecast down here on low ground, all the doom n gloom on the model thread about exceptional December warmth? Where?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Cars are completely stuck in the street now can't get up the bank. Glad I'm not going anywhere 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Snow sticking everywhere now happy Fooking days , temp 0.6c 

Posted
5 hours ago, Cloud 10 said:
21 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

a) Consett is in Durham

b) Consett doesn't count if we're talking generally area as your elevational advantage is nuts.

Advisable to avoid a692, fire engines and rangers out on roads. Drive safe everyone out there

IMG_20151212_143606.jpg

VID_20151212_144435.3gp

Edited by geordiekev

Posted

Its been snowing for around 3 hours but we only have a thin layer of snow/slush laying and the main road is clear,I reckon if I drove a couple of miles up the road it would be a different story. Still it is nice to see some of the white stuff at last.  The problems will start if and when it freezes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, Snow, Thunder, cold crisp ice days

Just been out to measure the snow on the table. It's 3 inches. My location is Gateshead. But I am high up.

IMAG0724.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
1 hour ago, Geordiesnow said:

Problem is, as the low keeps on heading eastwards and as the NE is on the Northern flank of the low then with the winds coming in from the North Sea and air not all that cold then I would imagine the snow will turn back to rain unfortunately. 

That said, the NE is experiencing a 2nd transient snow event and I'm still waiting too see a flake so enjoy it whilst it lasts!

Looks like you are right, judging by the South Shields webcam and readings:

http://www.southshields-weather.co.uk/Today%27s_weather.htm

It dropped to 1.6C in heavy-ish wet snow but has risen to 2.4C since the easterly breeze picked up.

Looking around other webcams, Durham University seems to have a decent covering.

https://www.webcam-4insiders.com/en/weather-Durham/7322-Durham-weather.php

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

Very unexpected this snow to be honest, especially for lower lying areas below 150m. Snowing here heavily in newton aycliffe still and been this way since 12 when snow first started to accumulate on grass. Roads are a nightmare, 10 min journey took half n hour or so. Metoffice were late to  issue warning and even then it was mainly for ground above 200m until updated warning at 2.05pm which it had already affected many areas. 

Saying all this im very happy

IMAG0029.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

I did not expect this when I woke up this morning snow still falling temp hovering just above freezing at 0.4c 

• Like 1

Posted

Snow should be clearing away within the hour,so nearly time to fire up the snow shovel which hasn't had much use the last couple of winters!