Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat, July 4 and on...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
1 minute ago, Deep Snow please said:

Cheers - I've just looked at a BBC Weather forecast from January 3rd 2010 and it's definitely E'y at that point. I know we're getting out of the realm of regional discussion so apologies to other users.

No mate discuss away - it affected the far north so talk about it lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Cheers - I've just looked at a BBC Weather forecast from January 3rd 2010 and it's definitely E'y at that point. I know we're getting out of the realm of regional discussion so apologies to other users.

It's good to see this thread buzzing again and popular.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, P-M said:

There is that - to be fair we need to get over the next few days and then establish where we are at...

Apologies for being a downer but do we really want -8 or 9C when they could be cutting the heating off. I'm a fan of the cold as much as any other bugger on here but I think my patience might be tried in those conditions.

3 minutes ago, JP1972 said:

It's good to see this thread buzzing again and popular.

Yup, it's great to see. I think there's a lot of us who lurk and then post when the realistic prospect of cold comes around. I'll try and make an effort to become more interested in zonal borefests when they come back around in March. :p

Edited by Deep Snow please
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
Just now, Deep Snow please said:

Apologies for being a downer but do we really want -8 or 9C when they could be cutting the heating off. I'm a fan of the cold as much as any other bugger on here but I think my patience might be tried in those conditions.

Yup, it's great to see. I think there's a lot of us who lurk and then post when the realistic prospect of cold comes around.

In short - YES lol from a selfish POV

Posted
8 minutes ago, Isolated Frost said:

long long way from any realistic projections of snow but it's nice to know that this horrid week of rain is coming to an end .. for the rivers sake!

Snow?

I just want an excuse to use the de-icer I bought in NOVEMBER :')

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Andy_ said:

Snow?

I just want an excuse to use the de-icer I bought in NOVEMBER :')

Having a reasonable cause to wear a coat would is nice now we've finally reached that stage. I wear one for practical reasons (more zipped pockets and a high propensity to lose things) virtually everywhere and the looks I got off a few folk on a few days in early December resembled looks I'd expect in August.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Having a reasonable cause to wear a coat would is nice now we've finally reached that stage. I wear one for practical reasons (more zipped pockets and a high propensity to lose things) virtually everywhere and the looks I got off a few folk on a few days in early December resembled looks I'd expect in August.

Wearing a coat in the north east is frowned upon 365 days a year haha don't worry about it!

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Apologies for being a downer but do we really want -8 or 9C when they could be cutting the heating off. I'm a fan of the cold as much as any other bugger on here but I think my patience might be tried in those conditions.

Yup, it's great to see. I think there's a lot of us who lurk and then post when the realistic prospect of cold comes around. I'll try and make an effort to become more interested in zonal borefests when they come back around in March. :p

I love extreme weather types and all weathers in general. Do pop in frequently throughout the year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)
25 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Thanks doctor - can you clarify whether 2010 was a NE'ly or not me?

Also what am I actually looking for on the 850 to indicate a higher chance of snow?

For snow showers ideally you need dew points around zero or below and 850 uppers of -6/-7 to almost guarantee snow, plus a few other elements. As someone else mentioned you can get snow in higher uppers of -2 say aswell mainly from frontal/band snow and in heavier falls. Coastal areas may differ though.

I think this is correct to the best of the knowledge

Edited by doctor32
made a mistake in text

Posted
6 minutes ago, Andy_ said:

Wearing a coat in the north east is frowned upon 365 days a year haha don't worry about it!

I understand that but I can just about appreciate it being ridiculous to some folk in 15-18C heat in July - in 11C in December with high winds and quicker cooling with darkness meaning it's gonna get cold earlier?

Posted
13 minutes ago, Andy_ said:

Not when you're 43yo it's not!

Although women .... well less is best shall we say :D

Posted

I understand that but I can just about appreciate it being ridiculous to some folk in 15-18C heat in July - in 11C in December with high winds and quicker cooling with darkness meaning it's gonna get cold earlier?

The lack of daylight lately especially with the amount of rain we've had has been utterly awful.

Hopefully some sunny days to go along with this cold spell! And ice days :D -holds breath-

Posted
4 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Only 23 years to wait then.. lol

Alright, don't rub it in lol!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Andy_ said:

The lack of daylight lately especially with the amount of rain we've had has been utterly awful.

Hopefully some sunny days to go along with this cold spell! And ice days :D -holds breath-

I can barely remember seeing the sun so far this year!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
29 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

I am fairly certain it was a prolonged NE slack flow that brought the huge snowfalls to the NE starting end November 2010.  This was from a Greenland high which developed into an omega block.   This was the first prolonged NE flow that I had seen since starting model watching and I think you would have to go back to the eighties cold spells to have anything like it.   The flow turned to easterly later, but this brought marginal conditions to the east coast, as believe it or not the cold pool was not that deep.  Certainly mot as deep as what we have the potential for in the upcoming spell.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Freezing-Point said:

I am fairly certain it was a prolonged NE slack flow that brought the huge snowfalls to the NE starting end November 2010.  This was from a Greenland high which developed into an omega block.   This was the first prolonged NE flow that I had seen since starting model watching and I think you would have to go back to the eighties cold spells to have anything like it.   The flow turned to easterly later, but this brought marginal conditions to the east coast, as believe it or not the cold pool was not that deep.  Certainly mot as deep as what we have the potential for in the upcoming spell.

I think the main issue lies in getting 2009-10 and 2010-11 confused. Happens when people start shouting 2010 without the corresponding winter (not in this thread tbf)...

Posted

How about a little bit of fun? A predict the highest snow depth of the upcoming spell among regular posters competition. 

I'm going with 12-15 inches from that bloke who lives in Consett but I cannot remember he's username.

Posted

I suspect once the cold gets established it might be relatively dry with showers running down the coast on and off.
In 2010 the source of the NEasterly was important as I think it was from way over in Siberia rather than above Scandinavia which is not always that cold due to Gulf Stream. Once we had our own cold pool established with deep snow cover it took some shifting even when more 'normal' cold air arrived - similar thing happened in 1981.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

It's been a long time since I posted in here, I've been so busy! Drawn back by the prospect of snow...

The North East should have a good chance of snow as it's much easier to get convective snow from the North Sea than to rely on frontal snow, as the rest of the country will have to do.

Unfortunately I'm heading south tomorrow to go back to university after Christmas - bad timing or what! 

• Like 1

Posted

I think talk of another Nov/Dec 2010 being on the cards is very premature. I can't see it myself. Not on that scale.

Will be great to get some decent cold weather though. That said, I'm still stratching my head as to how we've had two decent (one of them very decent) snow events so far this season, despite the warmth. I'll need to remember this when we're bone dry and Surrey is getting a pasting! :p

Posted

Rain has turned to sleet here in Durham. The odd flake. Miserable out there though. And so dark! We haven't had proper daylight for days!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

yep another miserable day, rain and brief sleetyness. Model output all over the place last 48 hours so still non the wiser regarding next weeks cold spell.

still looking at wednesday onwards for real snow potential.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold,wet & stormy

this morning was the first dry dog walk in weeks here! it was frosty calm and a little sunshine. its the first dog walk in 15 that I have enjoyed this year!!! every other one it rained!!!but alas we are back in business as again it is raining outside!!!! roll on next week for a bit of calmer cold weather!!