Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - SPANISH PLUME - 30/06/15 onwards

Posted

40C in mid France and Spain today. My Aunty and Uncle in Greece have been issued with a public warning this morning and businesses are being advised to remain closed.

Along with the banks!!

Thunderstorm warnings out from the met office

Issued at: 1026 on Tue 30 Jun 2015

Valid from: 1600 on Wed 1 Jul 2015

Valid to: 2350 on Wed 1 Jul 2015

Isolated heavy, and possibly severe thunderstorms are expected to develop late Wednesday afternoon across parts of Northern England and Southern Scotland. Some torrential downpours are possible leading to localised surface water flooding, with hail and frequent lightning also possible hazards. The public should be aware that there is a chance of some very localised significant disruption.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

By Wednesday, a hot and increasingly humid airmass is expected to be in situ across much of the UK. This airmass looks conducive to isolated thunderstorm development during the afternoon and into the evening. With large amounts of energy available in the atmosphere, storms could be severe, with torrential downpours and hail of up to 1cm in size. 20-30 mm of rain is possible in less than an hour, with as much as 60 mm possible in 3 hours very locally. Large uncertainty remains regarding areas most at risk from storms, and many areas will miss these altogether and stay dry. However, where they do develop, very localised significant disruption is possible.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1435705200&regionName=uk

Almost certainly that's going to be updated as we go through today, and tomorrow.

Posted

NMM has initiation of the storms much farther south and centralized that the MetO suggests, storms breaking out west to east from Wrexham to Burton-upon-Trent.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Along with the banks!!

Almost certainly that's going to be updated as we go through today, and tomorrow.

Would certainly expect that to expand northwards.

Hope you're optimism is correct VillagePlank...soul destroying when these setups come along and fail to detonate.

Posted

Wednesday

UKMO seemingly agreeing with this sort of precip for now 

Could all shift South and East yet

post-17481-0-16516500-1435659316_thumb.p

post-17481-0-72239600-1435659316_thumb.p

post-17481-0-19442900-1435659317_thumb.p

post-17481-0-70747500-1435659317_thumb.p

post-17481-0-75684300-1435660025_thumb.p

Edited by ChezWeather

Posted

Wow, tomorrow afternoon/evening is absolutely exceptional on that model, storms running east to west across the spine of northern mainland Britain. Less so on GFS but more than enough energy to kick off.

I'll be interested to see what the experts (Nick F, Estofex) make of the severe threat. The models definitely don't scream tornadoes however there's hugely significant disagreement (see the two 0-6km shear models).

post-23162-0-31804900-1435658911_thumb.p

post-23162-0-97670600-1435658911_thumb.p

post-23162-0-81458900-1435659264_thumb.p

post-23162-0-98525400-1435659274_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted

06z GFS still keen on storms developing into the SE tomorrow...hmmmmm!!

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

I haven't been chart watching for that long but I haven't seen theta-E values this high before :)

post-7331-0-56835700-1435659769_thumb.pn

post-7331-0-22716300-1435659770_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Forecasts and warnings exactly what I expected.

I'm a little surprised that parts Southern Scotland are not in the MetO warning. I remember a similar situation a few years ago, some nasty cells erupted and caused flash flooding.

Friday still looks interesting in the South/Southeast, though. :)

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Can't believe I'm too far South to see any storms, let alone too far west :laugh:

At least I can enjoy the fantastic weather I guess! Just wanted it to end with some fireworks which doesn't currently look very likely IMBY...

Posted

Would certainly expect that to expand northwards.

Hope you're optimism is correct VillagePlank...soul destroying when these setups come along and fail to detonate.

Yes, quite. The trigger is everything - even a loaded gun situation with the CIN that's around.

Posted

Can't believe I'm too far South to see any storms, let alone too far west :laugh:

At least I can enjoy the fantastic weather I guess! Just wanted it to end with some fireworks which doesn't currently look very likely IMBY...

I wouldn't worry yet, we've seen time and time again that the models can get it wrong, remember they are only a guideline 

Plenty of time for change before tomorrow 

• Like 1

Posted

Thunderstorm warnings out from the met office

Issued at: 1026 on Tue 30 Jun 2015

Valid from: 1600 on Wed 1 Jul 2015

Valid to: 2350 on Wed 1 Jul 2015

Isolated heavy, and possibly severe thunderstorms are expected to develop late Wednesday afternoon across parts of Northern England and Southern Scotland. Some torrential downpours are possible leading to localised surface water flooding, with hail and frequent lightning also possible hazards. The public should be aware that there is a chance of some very localised significant disruption.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

By Wednesday, a hot and increasingly humid airmass is expected to be in situ across much of the UK. This airmass looks conducive to isolated thunderstorm development during the afternoon and into the evening. With large amounts of energy available in the atmosphere, storms could be severe, with torrential downpours and hail of up to 1cm in size. 20-30 mm of rain is possible in less than an hour, with as much as 60 mm possible in 3 hours very locally. Large uncertainty remains regarding areas most at risk from storms, and many areas will miss these altogether and stay dry. However, where they do develop, very localised significant disruption is possible.

Areas under the warning

East Ayrshire, South Ayrshire, South Lanarkshire

Dumfries and Galloway, Scottish Borders

Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Wrexham

Blackburn with Darwen, Blackpool, Cheshire East, Cheshire West and Chester, Cumbria, Greater Manchester, Halton, Lancashire, Merseyside, Warrington

Darlington, Durham, Gateshead, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Newcastle upon Tyne, North Tyneside, Northumberland, Redcar and Cleveland, South Tyneside, Stockton-on-Tees, Sunderland

East Riding of Yorkshire, Kingston upon Hull, North Lincolnshire, North Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, York

Derbyshire

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1435705200&regionName=uk

Very strange that they haven't put Central Scotland under the warning. Models are currently showing some of the most intense thunderstorms over this area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Just gone over 27 in Leicester.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

I wouldn't worry yet, we've seen time and time again that the models can get it wrong, remember they are only a guideline 

Plenty of time for change before tomorrow 

Yes you are of course right, but last time the models were showing storms for the W Country whereas the MetO were having none of it. Going by their forecast it looks like staying settled here...for now! Fingers, toes and bum cheeks crossed it doesn't  :p

Edited by Chris K

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

are you sure? Seems pretty exceptional for 11:50 considering that was pretty much the forecast high for that area today

Well it's 26.8 here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

So basically I guess the synopsis is this:

"Scotland will definitely get one storm at least - but nobody really knows where. Also, today is bright with clear skies - but it could thunder if there are clouds - but we don't know exactly where those clouds might be. Also the front might go east (but we don't know for sure) - and we definately don't know where it is or where it is likely to come from. And for the South of the UK it is highly likely we don't know when you will get storms."

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and extreme weather

Swindon currently 24C, with heat building every day and not a lot of cooling during the evening I'm sure there's going to be some big storms about soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Well it's 26.8 here

I can confirm that Chris, showing 26c/27c here

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

So basically I guess the synopsis is this:

"Scotland will definitely get one storm at least - but nobody really knows where. Also, today is bright with clear skies - but it could thunder if there are clouds - but we don't know exactly where those clouds might be. Also the front might go east (but we don't know for sure) - and we definately don't know where it is or where it is likely to come from. And for the South of the UK it is highly likely we don't know when you will get storms."

That about sums it up, FB...Almost always the way with thunderstorms... :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Well which model do I choose for this area?

GFS has storms here at midnight

Met Office have storms at 3am

ECM have storms at 6am

Definitely will be watching the radar closely this evening

Posted

Great Update Nick, Also Torro just updated and pretty much the same as Nick/Netweather

Possibility of Marginal Supercell Structures tomorrow near Scotland, with a more general risk of an MCS Moving up from La France for SE & East Anglia into early hours of Thursday morning.

The possible really nasty stuff could be in store for Friday, more on this next 24-48 hours 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder

Thanks Nick,  I think it will be the type of evening those in the NW will see distant flickers of lightning from Anglesey direction.

• Like 2

Posted

Great Update Nick, Also Torro just updated and pretty much the same as Nick/Netweather

Possibility of Marginal Supercell Structures tomorrow near Scotland, with a more general risk of an MCS Moving up from La France for SE & East Anglia into early hours of Thursday morning.

The possible really nasty stuff could be in store for Friday, more on this next 24-48 hours

Hi Paul, are you seeing potential for early hours imports Thursday then?

I'm just not seeing it :cray: