Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 12th June 2015 onwards

Posted

I'm currently in Christchurch Dorset, feeling muggy, cloud clearing and sun trying to come out. 

Looks like I could be in for a fun / unconventional storm chase for me. Getting the National Express coach to Winchester this arvo and then train up to London this evening.

I'm having the window seat :) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Really not looking forward to this at all and it's the length of this that has me worried , is the thundery element expected to last all night in this rain or will that ease

Later today looks your main risk

Friday

It will be a very warm and humid day across the region with hazy sunshine. This heat may trigger a few thunderstorms, before a band of more widespread heavy rain and thunderstorms pushes up from the south into the evening.

Tonight

It will be a very wet night across the area with persistent, sometimes heavy, rain with the continued risk of some torrential thundery downpours.

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Big storm!

Air con plant showing 17.8c external temp in Watford already and the sun is only just starting to break through... Quite humid I would say so it's looking up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

I think a drive east might be required thinking Swindon possibly!

I think our main risk is this evening - Hope so as I can't get out of work until 4pm anyway!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Well currently observation wise, both Plymouth and Norwich at 18'c because they are currently in the sun. Whereas CS England only at 13-15'c considering under cloud so there is a difference. If you want to use this website for observations it's fairly useful.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/observations

EDIT: The sun is out!

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

After looking at that forecasting site posted on the first page (.fr) then it looks like it maybe about 2000 - 2100 hours before it breaks out/reaches Northamptonshire (When I finish work). Please hold out for me lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Well currently observation wise, both Plymouth and Norwich at 18'c because they are currently in the sun. Whereas CS England only at 13-15'c considering under cloud so there is a difference. If you want to use this website for observations it's fairly useful.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/observations

The sun is beginning to break through the cloud here as far as I can see. Give it another hour and I'm confident we'll be in business.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I'm amazed at how 'un'muggy it feels with a fresh'ish' easterly breeze. Maybe that's what's not helping those cells that have suddenly died a death coming this far northwest. Most important is that this cloud burns off to let some diurnal heating get going. Would be nice to see some development through the early afternoon so it can go bang later (can't go after any storms until after 4.30 this afternoon myself).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

hmm....now under some fairly thick mid-level cloud that's giving some showery rain to the SE.....cloud cover is my main concern as mid-level can be a pain to break up....there is a window of clear skies towards the south coast but there's a lot more high/mid-level cloud spilling up from central France, which would inhibit surface based convection.....this is causing me to feel a bit twitchy about widespread storms to be honest

• Like 3

Posted

Could be as hot as the south here today at 25c. Certainly a lot more high cloud about. Can't believe the temp is going to be 15 tomorrow with nothing more than moderate rain!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

just stepped outside and there is a good bit of cloud and a breeze , doesn't fell particulary muggy at the moment

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

South East England and East Anglia the place to be for top temperatures already on the brink of 20'c!

And according to the GFS Surface Overview it's not even meant to get quite muggy till at least 3pm.

Edited by Ben Sainsbury

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Morning all, so let me get this right - things died a bit last night across the channel? 

Sky looks very humid here this morning.....hoping the sun breaks through and there's rapid convection later! 

Yes, but my internet connection died first! I got distant storms here in Limousin but nothing directly overhead in my valley.

Been left with a "crudfest" this morning - misty, murky - but more action is progged for today and again for tomorrow..

• Like 1

South East England and East Anglia the place to be for top temperatures already on the brink of 20'c!

And according to the GFS Surface Overview it's not even meant to get quite muggy till at least 3pm.

Deffo feel it hotting up slowly here, office is a metal shell building god help us later the AC is broken atm 

Posted

still hazy sunshine and a stiff east wind, feeling nice and fresh, camera all primmed and ready, then i look at the met office forecast and omg, patchy light rain at best through tonight and most of tomorrow,   packs camera away, lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

It was quite cool this morning but that muggy feel of yesterday is coming back , it's 18C with some sunshine breaking out

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Quick question for those storm chasers here.Do you get the same buzz watching a storm miles away from your home as you would in your own garden/road/house?

Whenever i have intercepted a storm 'away from home' the pleasure factor is there for sure but still a 'if only' it had hit my area! Maybe just me?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The cloud is thinning and it's getting noticeably brighter. Temp at 16°C - Hum at 85% - DP at 12.7°C

post-15177-0-53743000-1434098892_thumb.j

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!

Sun peeking through.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

hmm....now under some fairly thick mid-level cloud that's giving some showery rain to the SE.....cloud cover is my main concern as mid-level can be a pain to break up....there is a window of clear skies towards the south coast but there's a lot more high/mid-level cloud spilling up from central France, which would inhibit surface based convection.....this is causing me to feel a bit twitchy about widespread storms to be honest

Its a nowcast thing but cloud is a concern for me, even though the sun is poking in and out here in Brizzle. The forecast from estofex did mention uncertainty of potential insolation from cloud cover. Not over by any means, but it'll be squeaky bum time come this afternoon if it remains.

Good to see reports of it thinning at least

Edited by Chris K

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Sky is clear in the City centre- but here it's "milky"- it's really humid and muggy mind.

Looking promising in the channel

Posted

30 minutes ago it was raining now the sun is trying to come out and is starting to warm up. Have to wait and see what happens later, I would love a storm but I'm not getting my hopes up :)

Posted

Quick question for those storm chasers here.Do you get the same buzz watching a storm miles away from your home as you would in your own garden/road/house?

Whenever i have intercepted a storm 'away from home' the pleasure factor is there for sure but still a 'if only' it had hit my area! Maybe just me?

I like the chase as much as the storms. Driving for hrs and trying to get yourself into that sweet spot.

Saying that sitting with a beer in the garden last night was nice 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

100%, I went storm chasing in Florida a few years back and chasing the storms was quite stressful, one of the storms ended up hitting where I was staying but because everything was so flooded we got there after it had hit and passed. A few days later we decided not to chase and got a direct hit but this time we could sit down in the balcony and watch it come and get us giving a spectacular lightning display, we had beers and drinks and it was one of the best storm experiences I have ever had. It can also be equally stressful because you can see the storms in the distance.

• Like 1