Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Beautifully captured but terribly depressing

Lauren

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3085183/Apocalypse-Shocking-photos-mankind-s-destruction-planet.html

Whether you believe in climate change or not, pollution and the often irreversible effects of it should make us all think.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy

Certainly over-population is the elephant in the room that policymakers seem keen to avoid.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I don't think anyone is ignoring, just that short of killing un-needed k8ds, there's not much you can do about it.

Posted

Certainly over-population is the elephant in the room that policymakers seem keen to avoid.

Agree, of all the daft things that get banded about in climate forums this is the one thing that needs addressing in an ever increasing demand for land to house people. Education, education, education, is what is needed in addressing this topic, we as a country could start the ball rolling by stopping child benefit after two children whilst poor nations need to be educated on contraception and a need to move away from producing large families because the more kids you have the greater your standing in the community is.

Posted

Agree, of all the daft things that get banded about in climate forums this is the one thing that needs addressing in an ever increasing demand for land to house people. Education, education, education, is what is needed in addressing this topic, we as a country could start the ball rolling by stopping child benefit after two children whilst poor nations need to be educated on contraception and a need to move away from producing large families because the more kids you have the greater your standing in the community is.

This is not directly a climate problem. The demand for growth and population is another subject, albeit with linkage. As a matter of interest what are the other daft things. Your insight would be welcome as then perhaps we could stop discussing them.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Lauren your POST does indeed highlight both a Climate and Evironmental issue, the impact of over population, resource extraction, pollution etc is having an effect on our planet.  And I think the biggest cause and effect is population, second to that education and then recycling of what we have already discarded.  It is a shameful world we live in when it is easier and cheaper to throw away goods and when they are made to fail and not be repaired just replace them again and again.

The population of the planet is like unrestrained consumer credit, the planet itself is the debt...

...one day like the consumer/economic crash, there will be a day when the party is over and the debt collecters will turn up demanding payment.

Edited by Jax

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

...one day like the consumer/economic crash, there will be a day when the party is over and the debt collecters will turn up demanding payment.

Someone's knocking at the door,

Somebody's ringing the bell............

• Like 1

Posted

This is not directly a climate problem. The demand for growth and population is another subject, albeit with linkage. As a matter of interest what are the other daft things. Your insight would be welcome as then perhaps we could stop discussing them.

Im referring to both sides arguing over data that really is inconclusive either way due to no one knowing how much warming is down to natural causes or anthropogenic. One thing we all know is that we've warmed and for me that's all the conclusive evidence we have. So I refuse to take sides in this pointless argument which goes round in circles.

This thread though is very interesting as I think population explosion is the biggest threat to humanity due to limited resources both in land and food supplies. It's something that no government is addressing and something that effects the circular arguments found in here which don't get aired often. What are your thought on this and do you think that we need to have sensible family planning protocols in place and curb our wasteful ways both in terms of technology and household goods whilst curtailing our destruction of green belt areas and forests?

Edited by Hocus Pocus

Posted

Im referring to both sides arguing over data that really is inconclusive either way due to no one knowing how much warming is down to natural causes or anthropogenic. One thing we all know is that we've warmed and for me that's all the conclusive evidence we have. So I refuse to take sides in this pointless argument which goes round in circles.

This thread though is very interesting as I think population explosion is the biggest threat to humanity due to limited resources both in land and food supplies. It's something that no government is addressing and something that effects the circular arguments found in here which don't get aired often. What are your thought on this and do you think that we need to have sensible family planning protocols in place and curb our wasteful ways both in terms of technology and household goods whilst curtailing our destruction of green belt areas and forests?

Although I would agree that many discussions are ridiculous and pointless this doesn't, IMO, negate the importance of AGW nor interest in ongoing research on the subject. In fact I would find it odd if people who were interested in meteorology didn't find it interesting. I disagree that the science is inconclusive. I think the basic science is pretty conclusive but there is obviously still much to learn.

Regarding the rest of your points of course population growth is a key player. Not so much in the developed world where population is leveling off or even dropping but certainly in the developing world. Not only that the growing population is naturally accompanied by economic growth which taken together leads naturally on to exploitation of more resources such as water (very important), food, land, and minerals. Advancing technology is also going to put a strain on the latter as well.

What to do about it? I'm sure I don't know the answer. Obviously increased education, negating the influence of religion, better governance are all roads in the right direction but theory isn't practice. Having said that hunger and poverty in the world has improved somewhat in the last 25 years. But it's a hugely complicated subject as I found out when I read, some years ago now, Hunger and Public Action by Jean Dreze and Amertya Sen.

• Like 2

Posted

Thanks for replying knocker, it seems we're mostly singing from the same hymn sheet. On the anthropogenic front one area which I feel strongly about is the mass deforestation that is taking place in the name of progress.

Posted

The pipeline industry has just added a whole bunch of jobs to the economy.

That's a typical blinkered and misleading 'joke'.

A first world pipeline is probably the safest option for transporting oil, better than trains or shipping from the other side of the world.

Where there will be a second rate decaying pipeline taking it to the port - attracting attention from various terrorist groups and criminal bodged tapping going on most likely. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Seeing as some of the pipe is failing after only 2 years I have to wonder about that 4?