Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

My favourite outside working weather bright blue skies,very dry air but with a few light showers. Still cool at 7c just now.  it feels as if it will be frosty tonight with stunning snow capped hills all round the Firth where any showers today still have their winter cloud colours.

A few photos from today with some wintry showers round the Firth and Ben Wyvis with its late April mantle of snow. A fantastic spring day in the north of Scotland with very clear arctic sourced air.post-2744-0-31609200-1430427039_thumb.jppost-2744-0-01657700-1430427069_thumb.jppost-2744-0-57995300-1430427081_thumb.jppost-2744-0-34150100-1430427099_thumb.jp Currently 2c

Cows and calves out full time today .Hope the models are right and it gets a bit milder next week. Bird feeders being emptied every day since last weekend as almost no insects about now.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Lunch time piccie from up on Stob Ghabhar today.  Definitely still winter above 600m or so.

post-10976-0-52264600-1430433690_thumb.j

Edited by Benvironment
  • Like 7

Posted

Morning all,

That's April in the books and what a sunny month it was here in NE Fife. Will need confirmation but I think Leuchars recorded 227 hours of sun which would be record for April. Only 25mm of rain and despite the chilly end to the month mean temperature +0.5c above the average.

• Like 1

Morning all,

That's April in the books and what a sunny month it was here in NE Fife. Will need confirmation but I think Leuchars recorded 227 hours of sun which would be record for April. Only 25mm of rain and despite the chilly end to the month mean temperature +0.5c above the average.

It's been pretty dry here too, unsure of the stats though. By the looks of it May might make up for that though.

15050900_0100.gif

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

-2.2C overnight in Grangemouth. Quite low for May. Sunny start but approaching Edinburgh and its much cloudier

Posted

-1c this morning but sunny. Plant growth in suspended animation with these cold nights this past week.Grass has very noticeable purple tipping of the leaves a sign of cold stress and some spring barley crops are going yellow. Everything will recover when the warmth returns. 

Posted

Chilly and clear start this morning but the clouds are on the increase and the rain is not exactly what you call that far away either

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Probably going to be right. Fresh snow in Snowdonia this morning. (See Wales thread)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

-1c this morning but sunny. Plant growth in suspended animation with these cold nights this past week.Grass has very noticeable purple tipping of the leaves a sign of cold stress and some spring barley crops are going yellow. Everything will recover when the warmth returns. 

Young broad beans are yellowing at the tips but just about coping with the chilly nights. If we weren't right on the coast, I suspect they'd be in trouble.  Plum and damson trees look like they might have got away with it, which after last Sunday's lashing with snow is a marvel.  The lawn looks ready for another cut soon too - sell you some fresh grass, NL :D ?

Posted

Young broad beans are yellowing at the tips but just about coping with the chilly nights. If we weren't right on the coast, I suspect they'd be in trouble.  Plum and damson trees look like they might have got away with it, which after last Sunday's lashing with snow is a marvel.  The lawn looks ready for another cut soon too - sell you some fresh grass, NL :D ?

Just letting all domestic grasses grow til next week before taking the first cut as will always do as a feed for the cows.Cows are out to about 5 inches grass but it is rapidly being consumed with little regrowth but must be something in it as they are not looking at silage in the rings. The white plum blossom went completely brown in 24 hrs at the beginning of the week so I think  they have  gone this year. Will wait til next week to sow parsnips which seem to need real warmth to germinate. Currently 7c with a fresh easterly breeze and overcast.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted

Another cool evening at 3c.Another observation we still have about 50%of the daffodils in full flower preserved by the cold this last week and  I counted 12 still at the bud  burst stage on the north facing side of the farm road today.

Posted

Mingin' sums it up nicely. Latest from Leuchars: http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/EGQL.html

6c/5c heavy rain in a steady 25 mph ESEly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Mingin' sums it up nicely. Latest from Leuchars: http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/EGQL.html

6c/5c heavy rain in a steady 25 mph ESEly.

Ditto here. 5.5C, strong, gusty Easterly and persistent steady rain.

Posted

Still teaming down here but it looks as if it moving north so probably at one point it will ease off but right now it's bleak

Posted

In the rain shadow for now dark and overcast  but dry. Currently 5.8c. Very cold though in the fresh easterly wind

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Well! whit a thoroughly 5hit day that wiz eh.

Hope tae fek the morn is better for the Monday holiday.

Big Innes

Posted

Had a few spots of rain in the late afternoon but cloud is now clearing to the north east leaving behind a calm very autumnal looking evening in the spring with a mist about a foot high over the ground especially in the grass fields and the temperature is dropping, now down to 4.5c. Very strange evening! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

What a difference a day makes. Max of 14.2C with sunny spells and a fresh Westerly.

8 degrees up on yesterday at this time in the wind and rain.

Posted

What a difference a day makes. Max of 14.2C with sunny spells and a fresh Westerly.

8 degrees up on yesterday at this time in the wind and rain.

Indeed! A high of 15.8c at Leuchars today in good sunny spells. Pity it's back to the rain and cold wind again tomorrow!

Posted

Nice day today. Looks like a shocker tomorrow though! Some potentially high rainfall totals somewhere - it's a shame that the models don't seem able to say just where at such short range!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Persisting it down here in Dyce after a dry start.

Spent the weekend in Cannich. Saturday was OK, dry and not too cold. Sunday was wet, chilly and miserable so took the son swimming in Inverness. Monday was best day of the lot, even got close to feeling warm in the broken sunshine. As ever this photo from my phone doesn't really do the scene justice looking down Glen Affric...

post-18458-0-20677700-1430833650_thumb.j

Still looks like quite a lot of snow on the mountain tops.

• Like 3

Posted

What a downright vile day it's been. Not very warm either

Posted

Persisting it down here in Dyce after a dry start.

Spent the weekend in Cannich. Saturday was OK, dry and not too cold. Sunday was wet, chilly and miserable so took the son swimming in Inverness. Monday was best day of the lot, even got close to feeling warm in the broken sunshine. As ever this photo from my phone doesn't really do the scene justice looking down Glen Affric...

attachicon.gifIMG_20150504_113802144.jpg

Still looks like quite a lot of snow on the mountain tops.

Lol I know that view but we've been here before...

An utterly rank, minging, left trouser leg lettuce day.  Rain since mid morning (getting heavier) cloud base sometimes at sea level.  One of those days you wish you didn't have to go out, but out I went, probably like NL and plenty others.  Met a farmer who asked me not to spook his cows because he didn't want them going down by the river this afternoon.

The latest gfs has a nice lozenge of rain over where I'll be tomorrow too.

Posted

Dry morning here today so looked at cattle outside and then had a blitz in the garden doing a lot of sowing. Spits and spots of rain  in the afternoon only became steady rain  after 4.00pm. Crops are needing the rain as garden soil was very powdery this morning. Sorted a hole in a stone dyke in the afternoon before rain became too heavy. Hairy Celt hope you are OK with this post  if you have been rained on all day.

Reading just now that they want to reintroduce lynx to Scotland As if we do not have enough problems in farming what with complicated government computers and the vagaries of currency movements now we will have to ride shotgun when the cows calve in the fields.

• Like 1