Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

As for winter I'll happily take a repeat of 13/14 or 14/15, but for the ski areas it would be useful if there were fewer weekend storms! D-J-F 2014 and M-A-M 2015 would be perfect - though I think we might actually lose a few lifts out of sight at Glencoe and Nevis if we got a winter like that!

For the non-skiing people (ie the vast majority), some low level snow events would be good.  I spent a lot of last winter looking at out of reach snow on the hills and listening to skiers raving on about how wonderful it all was. Sour grapes, excuse me. It's what happens when

"You know, that you're over the hill,

When your mind makes a promise

That your body can't fill."

– Little Feat "Old Folks' Boogie"

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks for the great post LSS. Aurora Storm has  also said that it could be an interesting winter.  You have both convinced me that my decision to order  new winter tyres in August for fitting on the 1st of October may be the correct one.

A brighter day here this morning but chilly first thing at 6c,still a cool N wind and currently 12c

Planning to cut a field of red clover silage today wrap tomorrow and hopefully start combining on Monday once everything dries out.

In Inverness this morning and a bit closer to Ben Wyvis which still has a couple of visible snow patches.Trying hard to remember if I have ever seen  old snow in September  on the Ben from this side of the Firth.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Fantastic day, peaked at 17.1c. Very sunny, just a touch on the cool side but would take that for the next few weeks :)

Currently 16.6c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Thanks for the great post LSS. Aurora Storm has  also said that it could be an interesting winter.  You have both convinced me that my decision to order  new winter tyres in August for fitting on the 1st of October may be the correct one.

A brighter day here this mrning but chilly first thing at 6c,still a cool N wind and currently 12c

Planning to cut a field of red clover silage today wrap tomoorow and hopefully start combining on Monday once everything dries out.

In Inverness this morning and a bit closer to Ben Wyvis which still has a couple of visible snow patches.Trying hard to remember if I have ever seen  old snow in September  on the Ben from this side of the Firth.

I have worked regularly in Inverness over the last 20 years and can't remember seeing visible snow lasting on Wyvis in August, never mind September. Snow patch survival this year North of the great glen is exceptional I think.

Here today it felt warm in the the sun despite the 14C Max .

Posted

I have worked regularly in Inverness over the last 20 years and can't remember seeing visible snow lasting on Wyvis in August, never mind September. Snow patch survival this year North of the great glen is exceptional I think.

I agree about snow on Wyvis. Different story round the back though - wasn't there some hare-brained ski-tow scheme many years ago? Thank God it's now an SAC.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Similar here yesterday. Started off cloudy and drizzly in the morning with a brisk wind so felt very autuminal. Cloud broke up in the afternoon and it didn't feel too bad despite highs of around 12C (Dyce) to 13C (Aboyne).

Brighter start to today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

What a beautiful morning here!   Feeling a bit cool at 10.2c but with no wind to speak of, should feel pleasant enough come afternoon.

post-1989-0-27165800-1441528179.txt

What a beautiful morning here!   Feeling a bit cool at 10.2c but with no wind to speak of, should feel pleasant enough come afternoon.

Aye, it's a lovely day although a little cool in the breeze. If you squint carefully at some of the photos you'll see the first hints of yellowing of the leaves on some of the trees. First sign of autumn :)

post-2844-0-20370900-1441538498_thumb.jppost-2844-0-38716300-1441538524_thumb.jppost-2844-0-26110200-1441538561_thumb.jppost-2844-0-25421700-1441538593_thumb.jp

post-2844-0-19390900-1441538619_thumb.jppost-2844-0-54871800-1441538641_thumb.jppost-2844-0-61048200-1441538672_thumb.jp

post-2844-0-15473400-1441538699_thumb.jppost-2844-0-86401400-1441538727_thumb.jppost-2844-0-32034700-1441538749_thumb.jp

Posted

Nice photos Catch :)

The forecast from yesterday for today, was for cloud to move in by 10am but tha didn't materialise. Perhaps local topography being beneficial here ie the cloud breaking up over the southern uplands...

Anyway, lovely sunny day oncemore...

Currently 15.6c so nothing spectacular about the temperature but it's decent I suppose.

Posted

You could effectively call it a dawn to dusk entire weekend of sun. Amazing weather. Hopefully a sign of things to come

Posted

Agree re autumnal.

Reached a warm 17.6c but in the long shadows that are now present it is very chilly despite the sun, especially with a chilly wind blowing.

Does anyone know how much weaker the sun is up north? Like can you measure it? Ie the sun Inverness got today, in how many days will 'my' sun be that weak? Anywhere between 2-6 days I'd guess.

When will London experience the sun I got today? Etc

I've always wondered this question but no clue how to answer it...

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted

Agree re autumnal.

Reached a warm 17.6c but in the long shadows that are now present it is very chilly despite the sun, especially with a chilly wind blowing.

Does anyone know how much weaker the sun is up north? Like can you measure it? Ie the sun Inverness got today, in how many days will 'my' sun be that weak? Anywhere between 2-6 days I'd guess.

When will London experience the sun I got today? Etc

I've always wondered this question but no clue how to answer it...

I'd have thought the difference between me and you would be pretty small.  The difference between the north coast and Kendal is noticeable - have spoken to family there from Bettyhill in the evenings and there's maybe 15 mins difference.  What was really striking was between here and the south of France in July, but seeing as this is the Scottish thread, I'll keep this to myself.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e1/Hours_of_daylight_vs_latitude_vs_day_of_year_cmglee.svg

Posted

I'd have thought the difference between me and you would be pretty small.  The difference between the north coast and Kendal is noticeable - have spoken to family there from Bettyhill in the evenings and there's maybe 15 mins difference.  What was really striking was between here and the south of France in July, but seeing as this is the Scottish thread, I'll keep this to myself.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e1/Hours_of_daylight_vs_latitude_vs_day_of_year_cmglee.svg

Couldn't load link as I'm on my phone, not sure why... But anyway.

I was more speaking in relation to sun strength but in sure there is obviously a strong link between daylight, latitude and sun strength.

Although, I was slight perplexed by you saying that there is minimal difference between you and me, yet you say Kendal is noticeable?

I'm 2/3rds of the way between your location and Kendal I would have thought, an hour's (or just a bit more) drive by car and 20 mins is going east.

I just wondered if the irradiance of the sun was worked out anywhere in relation to latitude. Then you could work out how many days we are different, Paris is different, Oslo... Etc.

Surely, it must be like that. I mean I've been burnt in Nottingham in late August (took all day mind and not badly) but yet never, ever here that late on.

I've always wondered when Spain's south coast has our summers sun strength (ie our 21st of June) maybe October haha.

Maybe this question and intrigue is only felt by me....

Oh well haha.

Always wanted to work it out...

Posted

Well that came as a bit of a shock. Forecast a largely cloudy 15C,reality virtually wall to wall blue skies and around 19C. Only thing that the forecast got right was the wind, but it's more pleasant when the temp is high rather than mid teens.

A pity though, if the forecast had been closer to reality I might have planned to do something more outdoorsy.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Like yesterday wall to wall sunshine again today [so far]. Not quite as warm at 16.3C as yesterday got 20.5C and I noticed Leuchars had the warmest UK report yesterday at over 21C.

Posted

I suspect it may not be accurate but took a taxi from my local tesco down to my house. Now as I left tesco the taxi therometer was showing 23 degrees. When I got down to my place was showing as 18 which is probably more realistic but either way it stunning weather (why could this not happen last 3 months) was slightly foggy briefly this morning though

Posted

Like yesterday wall to wall sunshine again today [so far]. Not quite as warm at 16.3C as yesterday got 20.5C and I noticed Leuchars had the warmest UK report yesterday at over 21C.

Same here, like yesterday we were forecast to be under a sheet of cloud, but like yesterday it's mainly been blue skies so far. Temp managed to get up to 15.1C so far, but probably feeling nicer than that as there's little wind. Carol did say on BBC Breakfast they'd have trouble forecasting exactly where cloud would be under the high pressure. No complaints from me though about them getting it wrong so far.

Posted

Stunning day today after a stunning day yesterday. Not a cloud in the sky, almost non existent breeze and bang on 20c. Beautiful! Way better than forecast!

Aye, the cloud forecast was a tricky one this morning for my wee Facebook page too :)  I ended up going for "dry with some decent sunny spells". It hasn't been quite as cloud free today as it was yesterday, but it's been another cracker. Charterhall was reporting bang on 20ºC at 3pm which is decent at this time of year, and way above the forecast maximum.

Posted

SWS, home for me can be either Black Isle or north coast.  I was only thinking subjectively anyway.

Today was an odd one. Started sunny on the Black Isle and descended to cold and thick drizzle with clinging low cloud at Forsinard - to end as partly sunny near Bettyhill.  I saw a max of 11C anywhere, and when I was pottering around on a hill I needed to be well wrapped up the north-westerly breeze.  Seems like a different climate still for the north Highlands.  I expect the temperature gradient will reverse when there's any chance of snow around...

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer!

Best biking day of the year for me so far. Unbroken sunshine, warm but not stifling and very little wind. None at all in places. From Fife, down by St Mary's Loch, then over to Dumfries and back up. Why doesn't this happen more often......

WP_20150907_13_26_27_Pro_zpsxxqess9q.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Lovely day today, completely blue skies all day.

Reached a nice 19.4c :)

Posted

Well some marvellouus late season red clover silage wrapped up over the week end on a dry breezy Sunday afternoon finally transported home this morning .So mad rush to put grain sides on trailer at lunchtime with cloudless blue skies and 15c. Started at 2.00pm but had to stop as grain still not dry enough after three dry days.  No wind and high humidity preventing any drying ? Total frustration on such a beautiful day, will try again tomorrow but same story from other farms  today and with sea fog rolling in tonight combines stopped by 8.00pm.     This has been a summer of total frustration with the weather.

• Like 1