Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Charterhall peaked at 11ºC today, over 8ºC below average. Tomorrow is forecast to be the same.

SWS: Do I get my prize now for saying there was nothing suggesting anything summery in the charts a month or so ago?

Not in the mood to give out prizes ;)

Make that 54 hours of consistent non-stop rain (occasionally very heavy).

14 days time I'll be on the island of Majorca... Will be quite a contrast!

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 2

Posted

Very stormy skypost-2744-0-03007700-1438118300_thumb.jp over the Firth to the north this evening and a very sharp shower came on for about ten minutes. Cool at 9c and it was a very wintry looking sky. 

The weather made item two on Reporting Scotland this evening  discussing the effect it was having on farming with one farmer descibing it as the worst in 30 years. The problem this year is that we have the perfect storm with the combination of  bad weather and the weak euro ( all farm commodity prices and subsidies are priced in euros) and the strong pound is  knocking all our prices down by about 20%. from 2 years ago levels.

Grain  price has actually halved in 2 years and this year will be grown at a loss in most cases.   

Cattle are the exception but only because they are scarce. We ourselves on a very small farm will be  thousands of pounds down on income.

Speaking to a local machinery dealers mechanics this morning and they said buisness from farmers was also the worst it has been for thirty years. Farmers will spend money if they are allowed to make it in the local economy but no new machines are being bought.

In 1985 at least prices were better and although we did not finish harvest till late October there was some value in the grain we rescued. Most grain here was cut  that year between 3.00am and 8.00am when there was  a wind in front of approaching  rain  fronts .

Having said that we have not had as much rain as some but the coolness has really kept growth slow with us topping up the cattles grass with excess hay made last summer.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 2

Posted

We've not escaped in NE Fife either. July Rainfall is at 200% of the average and we've not recorded 20c since July 11th. Sunshine well below average too. Depressing is a word I've heard frequently in the last few weeks.....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

We're just wondering why our weather has been consistently poor ? Why does the jet stay so far south and why are we super affected by lows ejecting across the Atlantic - where has our high pressure gone?

It certainly is a year of contrasts and exceptions here, across Europe, Australia etc! Climate change it may be but by crikey it's worrying.

Heard that some folks are having to sell their cows from small holding due to poor harvest of feed! Too expensive to buy in feed.

It's very poor year for garden growth. Although the fruit crops have been great. My poor brambles have been attacked with frost and all this wet!

Hoping for some light/sun soon as I'm heading north. Or do I need to invest in a new waterproof jacket?!

Posted

Surprisingly it started sunny shock horror! But the cloud's building. Wouldn't surprise me if we get showers at one point

We're just wondering why our weather has been consistently poor ? Why does the jet stay so far south and why are we super affected by lows ejecting across the Atlantic - where has our high pressure gone?

It certainly is a year of contrasts and exceptions here, across Europe, Australia etc! Climate change it may be but by crikey it's worrying.

Heard that some folks are having to sell their cows from small holding due to poor harvest of feed! Too expensive to buy in feed.

It's very poor year for garden growth. Although the fruit crops have been great. My poor brambles have been attacked with frost and all this wet!

Hoping for some light/sun soon as I'm heading north. Or do I need to invest in a new waterproof jacket?!

This is a good read from the Met-O:

http://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2015/07/24/has-2015-really-been-that-windy/

Small wonder I've been lulled into thinking the weather hasn't been too bad, if you look at the charts in the blog you'll see the rainfall spread. I've had less rain than average in a part of Scotland which is drier than most of the rest of the country.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

This is a good read from the Met-O:

http://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2015/07/24/has-2015-really-been-that-windy/

Small wonder I've been lulled into thinking the weather hasn't been too bad, if you look at the charts in the blog you'll see the rainfall spread. I've had less rain than average in a part of Scotland which is drier than most of the rest of the country.

The far north has been reasonably dry but it's the depressed temps that people are talking about here, with growth of pretty well everything way behind normal, and some allotments looking pretty sad indeed. (Unlike the ones I saw in the Alps, where tomatoes and dwarf runner beans are ripening nicely outside at over 1100m asl...)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Sunny intervals here and no showers (so far anyway). A good bit warmer with a max of 15.8C. The temp didn't reach 14C in the last couple of days so with light winds and sunshine today is shorts and t shirt weather.

Posted

Nice autumn day with occasional sharp showers coming in on a cool N wind. Just fed cattle with some of last years hay so winter feeding routine is not far away. A maximum temperature of 12c today. World Orienteering Championships in our neck of the woods this coming weekend  so heatstroke shouldn"t be a problem for the competitors.,

• Like 4

Posted

Had a couple of showers towards the end of the day yesterday but nothing major. Hopefully we get the rare luxury of a completely dry day today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Mosly cloudy here with a light Northerly breeze. 14.3C.

Cairngorm weather station back in operation today. Min of -0.9C and currently 1.3C. Some light showers around too.

Alright lads, Northern Ireland speaking! Don't be waiting for summer to come, it cleared facked off this year, filling up my oil tank!

Edited by Guest

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Well it's no been too bad here today. Doon at the coast it felt braw in the sun but a very cool air!

Dry all day ! Now that's a novelty.

Cloud tomorrow and the at the weekend more of the same with some rain!

I see posted that there is some probability of warmth for south of UK!? Not sure what if anything we will see here:(

Edited by snowy owl

Well it's no been too bad here today. Doon at the coast it felt braw in the sun but a very cool air!

Dry all day ! Now that's a novelty.

Cloud tomorrow and the at the weekend more of the same with some rain!

I see posted that there is some probability of warmth for south of UK!? Not sure what if anything we will see here:(

We might sneak a few warmer days snowy, especially for us who are further south and east than the rest of the crew. For example, the last time I looked Monday was forecast for 20-22ºC in the south-east (I'm including you in that), so perhaps not as bad as it's been. Still showery though at times.

Posted

The stratus did break up about teatime allowing this: post-4537-0-23556400-1438284344_thumb.jp nice soft evening light for the foxies... Plenty of the wee flying peskies too!

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Alright lads, Northern Ireland speaking! Don't be waiting for summer to come, it cleared facked off this year, filling up my oil tank!

Aye It could be a long fkn wait this year BM!

Same for you guys I would think.

However,it does look like we are going to squeeze out our first dry day here in God knows how long!!!

Big well pi55ed aff Innes

Posted

Just watched BBC forecast and couldn't help but notice a SMURK on oor Lou's face as she pointed out the 25C in London and 15C (max) Scotland. Also saw continuing high temps over southern Yoorp. I feel another holiday coming on.... Oh apparently I have to earn some stuff to keep the nice people at the Nationwide happy.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

It's August tomorow.

Monday is to be briefly milder and then back to the north westerlies. With this pattern fixed in place.I suggest we will get our first proper mountain snow of the autumn in late August this year.

Summer is overated anyway!

• Like 2

Posted

It's August tomorow.

Monday is to be briefly milder and then back to the north westerlies. With this pattern fixed in place.I suggest we will get our first proper mountain snow of the autumn in late August this year.

Summer is overated anyway!

Indeed. Scotland seems to have been consistently in the blue on the GFS anomaly charts all summer. http://wxmaps.org/pix/temp4.html

I can't imagine that changing any time soon unfortunately.

Posted

It's the Scottish version of summer that's so bloody rubbish.  And Sweden too I think. Most other places it gets above 20C, even :shok: 25C or :shok: :shok: 30C regularly.

Wet and 12C max today. Pfff.

• Like 1

Posted

Delightful friday night. Rain pouring again and starting to get dark. Will August be any better? Probably not

Posted

It's the Scottish version of summer that's so bloody rubbish.  And Sweden too I think. Most other places it gets above 20C, even :shok: 25C or :shok: :shok: 30C regularly.

Wet and 12C max today. Pfff.

Yes, I have been thinking about that a lot recently as I have browsed the weather conditions across the globe. I think the word "mediocre" would describe outer "summer" quite well.